Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went ridding last week end and my a$$ still hurts. I think I need a new seat. I think I've narrowed it down to either a WTB laser V progel on sale for 50.00 or a Brooks B17 for arround 80.00 The WTB is much lighter at 300g and the gel is suposed to be very comfy. The Brooks is an interesting concept and I have heard that its the last seat I will ever want but weighs over 500g. What should I do?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maida7 said:
Went ridding last week end and my a$$ still hurts. I think I need a new seat. I think I've narrowed it down to either a WTB laser V progel on sale for 50.00 or a Brooks B17 for arround 80.00 The WTB is much lighter at 300g and the gel is suposed to be very comfy. The Brooks is an interesting concept and I have heard that its the last seat I will ever want but weighs over 500g. What should I do?
Ask what your LBS's policy is on returns. When I was shopping for a new seat they told me I could buy one and return it up to 30 days later as long as it was in decent condition and I kept the packaging. That way I could try it out a couple times and make sure it fit my butt. I went through 2 seats before finding the perfect one and they didnt hassle me one bit about bringing it back

·
Ted in real life
285 Posts
Try Terry saddles. They have a 30 day exchange policy. I switched from a WTB Laser V Stealth to a Terry Firefly and would not go back. The Firefly fits my butt better.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Give the Brooks a try!

I'm riding with a WTB Pure Stelth and I like it a lot. It took a bit of fiddeling to get it set right and it did need a bit of break in. It's WTBs longest mountain saddle and I like that when I move foreword climbing.

That said I have also taken a look at the Brooks mountain bike saddles and I'd like to try one but they are a bit pricey for just a tryout. I believe that they take quite a long time for the leather to stretch and form to your butt. I read a lot of good reviews but some guys say they hate them. Maybe they are impatient. If you get one please let us know what you think.

Ronnie.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I use a Brooks .. mine is the B 17 with Ti rails.

If you purchase it from Wallingford Bicycles you get a no questions asked 6 month return warranty.

You can't beat that deal...plus the Brooks are fantastic saddles.. :)

R.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
WTB Pure Stealth! It is the best saddle I've ridden. It took a few of rides to break in. It is supportive and there is no pressure when moving foward(covered cutout). It has just the right amount of padding. It has the groove in the back and allows easy movement off to the rear of the saddle and is the perfect width for gripping with your thighs. It has good support for pedaling and just feels like right for trailriding on a FS bike. Everyone is different though, and have different requirements. This saddle fits my needs!

·
Registered
62 Posts
try the new Specialized

i got the Alias and it's very comfy plus what they say about getting more power out of being more stable seems to be true. you have to be 'fitted' for it so you get the right size. also be aware that it has hollow ti rails so if you move it way back in the seat clamps you could bend it. i did my first one. i'm 200lbs. but definitely the most comfortable saddle i've sat on.

top of the line is $95. there's another version that i think is $75.

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Specialized Rival

I agree with the Specialized BG saddle wholeheartedly, but try the mountain bike version of the saddle, the Rival. It is awesome. The Alias is the road bike version. I have been using either Specialized saddles or WTB Rockets (also awesome) for years. The new BGs really are all that!

Michael

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'll make a third recommendation for the new Specialized Alias / Avatar saddles. They'll measure the width of your "sit bones" to give you a semi-custom fit on the saddle. I have an Alias and I put in obscene amounts of training time on it. It's the only saddle I've used that won't make my Jimmy go numb after 4+ hours on it.

Contrary to what you might think, thick, soft padding on a saddle can hurt more and cut off circulation to the "important parts" of your anatomy. It depends on how you're positioned on the bike, though. A longer, stretched out position benefits from a stiffer seat with a "pressure relief" channel while a very upright, relaxed position might benefit more from a softer saddle like a WTB.

In the end, you need to go to the LBS and sit on as many seats as you can before you decide to buy anything. I'm a firm believer that buying any saddle online without testing it first is a huge mistake.

For what it's worth, my ex-girlfriend bought a WTB Speed She from the LBS and she loves it. I've done a 50 mile trail ride on it and it was actually pretty comfortable.

- Jeremy -

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.