Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Oslo, Norway
807 Posts
Jeebus.
Gotta say one thing, though, Ideal (our assembly factory in China) has been pretty good at recycling our Mk2 Diamant/Nakamuras. First rebadged as Motbecane, then as Fuji, and now as SE Bikes.
They actually showed a rebadged Mk3 BigBob at the Taipei show, but that hit too close to home, so they will sign a contract and change some major components of that open spec.

Oh well, we are pretty liberal about this, at least compared to another company who have forced their rim maker, tire maker and even frame maker not to produce any kind of fatbike product for any other brand. With the current boom, that means major lost business for those suppliers.

·
1,711 Posts
Jeebus.
Gotta say one thing, though, Ideal (our assembly factory in China) has been pretty good at recycling our Mk2 Diamant/Nakamuras. First rebadged as Motbecane, then as Fuji, and now as SE Bikes.
I was going to say that looks like the exact same frame. Chinese companies have no shame in copying or bending rules, breaking them, breaking patents, etc. The company I work for runs into this all the time. They get told "no mr. surr... no patent" and then 3 months down the road they get a cease and desist letter.

·
Registered
893 Posts
at least compared to another company who have forced their rim maker, tire maker and even frame maker not to produce any kind of fatbike product for any other brand. With the current boom, that means major lost business for those suppliers.
Well there's only two companies that could fit that description at the moment...

Specialized and QBP

·
Registered
893 Posts
So anyway, are these SE/BD Fat bikes a good deal? Or are you better off dropping another $5-700 on something a little more legit?
Unless you live in Alaska next to Fatback's shop, I don't know if there really is such a thing as a "more legit" fatbike.

They're pretty simple machines with a few hard to find/expensive parts.

THey use the same brakes, shifters, derailleurs, seatposts, saddles, stems, bars, etc. So all that stuff is easily upgradable from your parts bin.

They use unique rims/hubs tires so there's upgrade cost there... Decent tires can be had for as low as $60 each, rims are still hard to find and pricey, hubs aren't cheap.

Cranks are now pretty common. Finding a 100mm crank and BB isn't really a problem anymore.

So the question is, how deep is your parts bin and how much do you want to get better wheels or tires?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no parts bin... Other than a new set of BB7's laying around... lol.

I just see this SE for around $1050 & then see Surly's at the LBS for around $1,700.

Now I know this is a pretty big jump, but overall is the difference worth it? If you upgrade the wheels & hub to something more comparable where are you going to be on price difference???

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
if you look at the Motobecane thread I think you'll get part of your answer. I owned a Motobecane FB4 and now own a Specialized Fatboy. I had a Pugsley for a few weeks as a demo. The FB4 was more similar to the Pugsley than the Pugsley is to the Fatboy. The only real stinker parts on the FB4 were the cassette (weight), tires and rear derailleur (though I see the SE has a deore rather than the Alivio on the FB4).

I bought the FB4 because I thought I was buying a bike I'd use maybe a half dozen times a year. I ended up liking the fat bike thing a lot more than that and I ride it on dirt as well, so I decided it was time to upgrade (plus it was an excellent way to celebrate a half century on this rock).

I'm sure that you will be happy with this bike, its a lot of fun.

If it wasn't clear, I don't think its worth paying more for a Pugsley, but that's me.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have no parts bin... Other than a new set of BB7's laying around... lol.

I just see this SE for around $1050 & then see Surly's at the LBS for around $1,700.

Now I know this is a pretty big jump, but overall is the difference worth it? If you upgrade the wheels & hub to something more comparable where are you going to be on price difference???
Have you ever noticed hubs before?

If so, don't get this bike. If you've never noticed hubs beyond "Yup, it works" then you don't need fancier hubs.

There are about 4 or 5 different $1k fatbikes right now- find the one that has the components you like best and just go with it.

Is a pugsley worth more? that's up to you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only real stinker parts on the FB4 were the cassette (weight), tires and rear derailleur (though I see the SE has a deore rather than the Alivio on the FB4).
FB4 Pro has Deore componentry, and is $100 less than the SE [email protected] for some reason (and just $100 more than the FB4 Elite)

Spec on the FB4 Comp matches the SE [email protected] too, and is $100 less. I find the overlap of the FB4 line and SEs kind of weird, but it's probably just BD working to keep up with demand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.