Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm not one to choose aesthetics over function, but it does look ugly to me. Maybe its just because its new and its missing a few wins, but the old one looked better in my opinion.

Edit: I think this comment from pinkbike is my reason for finding it ugly:
Or like me, they'll think it's an Ebike at first glance due to the pregnant BB area, then wonder why ur so slow.
It does give an ebike vibe.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Posted in the other Spark thread, but given the comments so far, I'll put it here too:

I guess it's looks are pretty polarizing, but I think it looks great, numbers look good, and has cool tech/features. I'd need to ride one, but I'm waaaaaaay more interested in a Scott than I was earlier this morning.

EDIT: I am a bit disappointed that the low(er) end RC's don't come with a dropper...but other than that: can't wait to see/try IRL.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
I like the hidden shock. I saw the bike the other day at a glance and thought it was some new aggressive hard tail.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Couldn't agree more, it looks like it ticks just about every box that's currently out there to be ticked. The old Spark was much in need of a redesign, heck it still supported a front derailleur. Fantastic new bike.

Posted in the other Spark thread, but given the comments so far, I'll put it here too:

I guess it's looks are pretty polarizing, but I think it looks great, numbers look good, and has cool tech/features. I'd need to ride one, but I'm waaaaaaay more interested in a Scott than I was earlier this morning.

EDIT: I am a bit disappointed that the low(er) end RC's don't come with a dropper...but other than that: can't wait to see/try IRL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
very happy to see the new Spark being this ugly, so I have reason not to upgrade my 2018 Spark WC. Money saved!!!
I was expected to see electric shock or something

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
My first reaction on seeing photos of the 2022 Scott Spark RC is that it looks just like a lightweight ebike! With that massively wide downtube and lump in front of the crankset it could easily pass itself off as a competitor to the Trek E-Caliber. The look is definitely growing on me though.

2022 Scott Spark RC.jpg

Here's a geometry chart comparing the size Large 2022 Scott Spark RC (120mm travel) with the size Large 2021 Specialized Epic (100mm travel) and size Large 2021 Intense Sniper XC (100mm travel). Although the 2022 Scott Spark RC is 120mm rear suspension travel with a 120mm travel fork it resembles the 100mm travel XC race versions of the 2021 Specialized Epic and 2021 Intense Sniper XC more than the 120mm travel versions of those bikes (Specialized Epic Evo and Intense Sniper T).

The Intense Sniper XC (originally released in 2018) is clearly a very influential bike. :)

2022 Scott Spark RC Geometry Table.jpg

There are prices and also estimated weights for each model on the Scott website. The top end Scott Spark RC SL EVO AXS has a claimed weight of 10.1kg / 22.27lb and a UK price of £11,999 GBP. That makes it more expensive than even a 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic 100mm.:(

Frame weights for the different builds all medium weight claims with shock & hardware :
HMX-SL carbon (1870g),
HMX carbon (1999g),
HMF carbon (2150g),
HMF front end paired to an alloy rear (2590g),
full alloy frameset (3290g) – .

One thing to note about the new 2022 Scott Spark RC frame is that has clearance for 29x2.6 plus tyres and therefore uses a wider 55mm boost chainline, rather than the 52mm chainline of many other XC bikes such as a 2021 Specialized Epic. What this additional tyre clearance means is that the frame requires a crankset with a wider spindle (the width is in the crank spindle, not the chainring), so that the crank Q factor is 6mm wider than on a 52mm chainline bike. i.e.

Shimano M8100 52mm chainline crankset = 172mm crank q factor
Shimano M8120 55mm chainline crankset = 178mm crank q factor

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
A bit more about 52mm and 55mm chainlines between different manufacturers because this is not clear at all. (y)

With Shimano cranks the difference is in the crank spindle. The crank spindle is 6mm longer on a 55mm chainline crankset. For a 2022 Scott Spark you need a Shimano SLX M7120 / XT M8120 or XTR M9125-1 crankset

BE AWARE THAT XTR M9120-1 is only 52mm chainline. The 2022 Scott Spark needs a XTR M9125-1 55mm chainline crankset!!!!!

2022 Scott Spark Shimano Chainring Offsets.jpg

With Race Face they also use a longer crank spindle. For a Cinch crankset it requires a 143mm length 30mm diameter spindle option for a 2022 Scott Spark

2022 Scott Spark Race Face Spindle Lengths.jpg

With SRAM the difference is in the chainring offset. You need a long spindle SRAM direct mount dub crankset and then a 0mm offset direct mount chainring for a 2022 Scott Spark. This can be either SRAM or an aftermarket chainring such as Wolftooth with the correct offset. If you already have a SRAM Dub crankset only the chainring needs changing.

2022 Scott Spark SRAM Chainring Offsets.jpg

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
What is the likelihood in a couple years we see a Fauza motor and this bike will be called the ESpark, or ES-Park bike?

This thing will be much more popular than a ECaliber with the minimal 60mm rear travel.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Picking on the aesthetics aside, It appears to be big and stiff where it needs it the most. XC bikes tend to lean it out at the seat stays and top tube. The big triangular shape hollowed out for the shock has got to be be massively stiff for pedaling and controlling the bike through the cranks.

Electronic lockout would be awesome, especially with this complicated triple button —sounds like a great tip for the SRAM AXS team to build into SID forks and shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Electronic lockout would be awesome, especially with this complicated triple button —sounds like a great tip for the SRAM AXS team to build into SID forks and shocks.
I'm honestly amazed they haven't released this yet, but I'd be even more amazed if they haven't started the R&D on it. I'm sure it's coming, and I'll be a customer of it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My first reaction on seeing photos of the 2022 Scott Spark RC is that it looks just like a lightweight ebike!
Good that I'm not the only one that who though to. When I saw that photo I was like, but that's goddam moped!!!
One thing though... I honestly say, these 100 different 1x chainlines confuse the hell out of me, and I'm still not sure I fully understand them, but wouldn't 55mm chainline mean there's even bigger angle at which chain leaves biggest cog on cassette and come to front chainring? I was happy user of 2x until recently, and I still can't understand everyone complaining about losing 0.01W with slightly unpolished handlebar, but are totally fine having super grinding feeling, where you really do lose plenty more watts with angle that chain comes to front ring when in 1st or 2nd gear.
With 3mm wider (or whatever is right word) chainline, wouldn't this angle be even bigger, chain would be even more "broken" and power loss would be even bigger?

PS: As for OP asking about heat dissipation of closed rear shock. Does anyone really get their shock warm that this would be issue? Regardless of trail, including super long more like enduro style trails that I ride when there's chance, I never noticed shock or forks would get warm. Sure bottom of forks might get warm due brakes overheating, but top part of fork or rear shock... Would this really be issue for anyone??

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
super super low BB.... thats not going to be fun through the rock gardens. Hopefully I'll get to sling my leg over one soon enough t give it a bash. Scalpel SE BB is 11mm higher before sag

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Good that I'm not the only one that who though to. When I saw that photo I was like, but that's goddam moped!!!
One thing though... I honestly say, these 100 different 1x chainlines confuse the hell out of me, and I'm still not sure I fully understand them, but wouldn't 55mm chainline mean there's even bigger angle at which chain leaves biggest cog on cassette and come to front chainring? I was happy user of 2x until recently, and I still can't understand everyone complaining about losing 0.01W with slightly unpolished handlebar, but are totally fine having super grinding feeling, where you really do lose plenty more watts with angle that chain comes to front ring when in 1st or 2nd gear.
With 3mm wider (or whatever is right word) chainline, wouldn't this angle be even bigger, chain would be even more "broken" and power loss would be even bigger?

PS: As for OP asking about heat dissipation of closed rear shock. Does anyone really get their shock warm that this would be issue? Regardless of trail, including super long more like enduro style trails that I ride when there's chance, I never noticed shock or forks would get warm. Sure bottom of forks might get warm due brakes overheating, but top part of fork or rear shock... Would this really be issue for anyone??
It really doesn't take a very long descent for your shock to get up to temperature. A lot of energy is being absorbed by the dampening circuit, within a minute or two of rough descending that shock is warm to touch. But I don't think that cooling is going to be an issue on this bike, shocks get warm to touch but they never actually get hot. I suspect that there will be no problem dissipating excess heat.

What you said earlier about science and bike racing, I think 1x race bikes is a perfect example. There is a lot of drive train friction in that top gear and driver train friction is a big deal. If you are climbing at 5 watts/kg then an extra 5 watts of work again friction is equivalent to an extra kg of bike mass. Those 2x drivetrains allowed nice straight efficient chain lines.

Reactions: ccm

·
Registered
846 Posts
It really doesn't take a very long descent for your shock to get up to temperature. A lot of energy is being absorbed by the dampening circuit, within a minute or two of rough descending that shock is warm to touch. But I don't think that cooling is going to be an issue on this bike, shocks get warm to touch but they never actually get hot.
I never really checked this as I somehow didn't even think on this, but with my current bike having rear shock in top?? tube (Canyon Lux) and very close to legs, I never had feeling I would feel some heat from there, but I will really stop, take my gloves off and check next time I go. I perfectly understand there's some energy going through, but didn't even think it could warm up shock so much. I really need to remember on afternoon when I will go out for ride to check this :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never really checked this as I somehow didn't even think on this, but with my current bike having rear shock in top?? tube (Canyon Lux) and very close to legs, I never had feeling I would feel some heat from there, but I will really stop, take my gloves off and check next time I go. I perfectly understand there's some energy going through, but didn't even think it could warm up shock so much. I really need to remember on afternoon when I will go out for ride to check this :)
I'm in the midwest so less likely to be an issue. But maybe the old school rocky/rooty trails on a hot day? Certainly more of a concern for mountainous areas with multi-minute descents. The effect of continuous replacement air cooling (ie., wind) is significant - try doing a Zwift race with no fan in a windowless, non-air conditioned room :)

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
super super low BB.... thats not going to be fun through the rock gardens. Hopefully I'll get to sling my leg over one soon enough t give it a bash. Scalpel SE BB is 11mm higher before sag
Wait, I thought I read somewhere that they raised the BB? Bikerumor, maybe.

As far as friction loss with 1x goes, try checking the lateral flex of an 11-speed chain vs. 12-speed sometime. The 12-speed will easily flex quite a bit more, indicating that this was part of the plan. I can't imagine somebody like Nino giving away 5 watts.

But don't get me started on SRAM's new 42-52t jump from second to first. Feels like falling off a cliff to me.

On Topic: I think it looks OK. Not great, not bad. A bit like an Evil Following to my eye.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts