Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just mounted two sets of the 2011 Schwalbe Racing Ralph Pacestar TR 2.25in tires. One set was mounted to Stan's Arch rims, and the other mounted to the new Specialized Roval Control SL wheels. Both sets of tires measured around the 50-51mm mark. One pair weighed in at 576, 579 grams, with the other weighing in at 552, 555 grams. The lighter set was mounted to the Control SL's.

The set mounted to the Arch's measured at 50mm spot on. The set mounted to the Control SL's measured in at 51mm. Both were measured at the casing. The crazy part is the internal width of the Arches is 2.5mm narrower than the internal on the Control SL's. I have the set on the Control SL rims pumped up to 45psi to stretch and will get measurements later.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Do the Pacestar/TL side walls feel different than the previous Evo Nano tires- Shiggy has already indicated the actual compounds are the same just a new name, I have not gotten my hands on a 2011 RARA yet and am wondering if they feel as different as the 2010 NN Snakeskins vs the 2011 NN Snakeskins (these I have both of and the sidewall feels very different when comparing the two side by side.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
knottshore said:
..... wondering if they feel as different as the 2010 NN Snakeskins vs the 2011 NN Snakeskins (these I have both of and the sidewall feels very different when comparing the two side by side.
Care to elaborate? My go-to rear race tire is a RaRa Snake, set up tubeless, and I'm curious as to how the Snake sidewall has changed for this year.

Thanks!

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Here's mine:

That picture is a little deceiving, though. Cameras will do that. It is 2" on the dot, inflated to 30 PSI. Brand new, never ridden, though. First inflation, here. Their stuff classically does this. I've got 4 different Schwalbe tires, check it out:

Big Apple 29'er 2.35" claimed:

Actual: 2.25"

Marathon Supreme 700x40c claimed:

Actual: 39mm

2011 Nobby Nic snakeskin/pacestar TL ready 29'er 2.25 claimed:

Actual: 2.0"

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Tires do stretch / swell over time, most of which occurs in the first 24 hours (as shown in the graph below). When taking width measurements of a bicycle tire, one should state the internal width of the rim, the age of the tire (inflated age), and the pressure at which the measurements were taken. The rim design also affects the section width, so it's prudent to also state the rim model.

·
Registered
259 Posts
bholwell said:
Tires do stretch / swell over time, most of which occurs in the first 24 hours (as shown in the graph below). When taking width measurements of a bicycle tire, one should state the internal width of the rim, the age of the tire (inflated age), and the pressure at which the measurements were taken. The rim design also affects the section width, so it's prudent to also state the rim model.

OK, so from a manufacturer's standpoint, what does 2.1 mean? Is that 2.1 out of the box, after 24 hours at 45psi on rim X, after 6 months of hot desert riding on rim Y at 28.674 psi, or is it 2.1 after a generous sprinkling of fairy dust and pressing the "I believe" button?

I'm honestly not trying to be smart, but it's a shame the consumer is left to guess what width their 2.1 (or whatever) tire actually is. I find it hard to believe manufacturers can't come up with something standard that we can rely on. It's frustrating and expensive for us consumers to expect one thing and get something other than what was advertised.

I understand that a tire's dimensions depend on many factors, but I think the consumer deserves better from all of the tire manufacturers. As bholwell's graph shows, there's obvious knowledge on the manufacturer's part as to what tires will do. Maybe this all needs to get sorted out BEFORE you publicize tires to the world.

(boy, I guess I'm grumpy about it being Sunday night and having to go to work tomorrow...);)

Jeremy

·
Registered
70 Posts
The new pacestAr tubeless ready also seems to be made in Indonesia and not Germany. The price here is half of what I paid for my evo series roro.

I noticed that it's tighter to mount on my ac wheelset and the beads are black compared to the gray beads of the Evo series which is made in Germany

The evo series are Kevlar beaded. So I assume that in order for the company to sell more. They had the new models produced in Indonesia and removed te Kevlar bead.

The result is a cheaper shwalbe but seems to be heavier than the Evo series which was also easily mounted as tubeless even without it being "tubeless ready" and lighter.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
bholwell said:
Great stuff bholwell. Much appreciated.

This kind of data is always welcome and appreciated. :thumbsup:

P

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
kosmo said:
Care to elaborate? My go-to rear race tire is a RaRa Snake, set up tubeless, and I'm curious as to how the Snake sidewall has changed for this year.

Thanks!
I picked up a set of 2010 NN SS 2.25's without knowing there was even a non "TL" version of the 29er NN at the time. I installed them and they were too good to be true, light, seriously grippy, super pliable sidewall and tough at the same time.

About two weeks ago I picked up a 2011 set of the NN SS TL 2.25's and when I pulled one out of the box to check it out I noticed the more "plasticey" less pliable feel of the sidewall. Keep in mind I have not even so much as mounted one of the 2011 yet so it might end up being just fine- Shiggy said they seem to soften up once you run them -

I had a set of Fat Albert 26X2.25 SS a few years back which I never liked the feel of compared to the NN and RaRa's I had in 26" because the SS completely changed the feel of the tire. Because of this I am probably just skeptical because of this experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.