Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a titus switchblade as a gift from my parents. I have looked over the sites and read most of everything. I was just wondering if there is any feedback any one has on a titus switchblade, i would also apreciate it if people would show me pics of their switchblades with some components listed.

thanks alot and have a great riding season. :cool:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Love my Blade

Why can't I get a present like that. I love my Blade. I built mine up from a frame on ebay (intended for my brother). I had a Giant VT1 that was soon seen on ebay once I took my first Blade ride. The bike just plain rocks. Was intending to get a new Motolite but I just can't part with it. Hopefully soon I'm gonna have the shock and fork pushed!!! You're gonna love your bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Chris9702l said:
Why can't I get a present like that. I love my Blade. I built mine up from a frame on ebay (intended for my brother). I had a Giant VT1 that was soon seen on ebay once I took my first Blade ride. The bike just plain rocks. Was intending to get a new Motolite but I just can't part with it. Hopefully soon I'm gonna have the shock and fork pushed!!! You're gonna love your bike!
Dude, nice bike, but two things: Don't ride your bike with that much seatpost sticking out the bottom of the seat tube--check your manual for reference. You'll bash the sh*t out of your shock for sure.

Level out your seat before you end up with man-parts trauma.

Ride on

-T

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Chris9702l said:
I hope you're not riding your seatpost like that! At close to full compression the top of the rocker links go underneath the seat tube and just clear it by about 1/2". Your seatpost is essentially acting as a bottom out bumper to the entire rear end.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Chris9702l said:
Oh, and I forgot. Your shock is mounted backwards. With the 5.25" rockers mounting the shock straight like that is actually backwards. It needs to go with the air cilynder in between the rockers and the shaft part has to go towards the frame with the bolt on the innermost hole. Putting the shock like that will steepen the head angle to something like an absurd 72.5 degree. Also, the rockers need to attach into the short travel hole in the frame block above the bottom bracket when using those rockers. I can see they are mounted on the long travel holes designed for the 5.7" rockers.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
downhillboy said:
i asked for pics and specs not critism of some ones very nice bike :p
No one is criticizing anything. Just helping point out an incorrect setup which is pretty common among a lot of riders since TItus offered absolutely no setup instructions for that particular setup. Just thought the person might want to know ;)

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,166 Posts
Great bike. One helluva gift!

Here's two shots of mine:

1- Dirty - normal look around this time of year. I usually clean drive train and that's about it between rides. Any more takes away from ride time.

2 -Bouncing around on Hole-in-the-ground in Tahoe. (Pic courtesy of Finch Platte)

Build:
02 Blade
All XT goodies
Thompson stem and post
Monkey Riser Bar
ODI Lock-ons
CK Hubs laced to Mavic 819s
WTB SST 2k saddle (Original leather one)
Time ATAC XS pedals

Smiles added by the mile. As I told Alan when I spoke to Titus a couple of days ago, only issues I run into with this rig are rider induced.

Attachments

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Rip

Here's mine, as it was before it got sold. I miss it already...
A burlier build than most - Firefly fork, Singletrack rims, Avid 8" ft/ 7" rr brakes, 2 rings w/ E-13 bashguard... Did pretty well at Keystone, but Vail made me really want a slacker headtube.

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
The pic was taken before its maiden ride. Cut the seatpost down and all is well. Hercubus, how much travel am I getting out of it the way I have it mounted? Explain to me the head angle? When I first got it it had a Vanilla 125 on the front. Since then I have gotten a Talas. I mounted the shock backwards because it leaks a little air after a day or so (can't fill it with air before a ride if it is mounted the right way). Am just about to get it pushed. How will it affect handling when I mount it the right way?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Basically you have to start taking into consideration the SB has a fairly steep head angle to begin with. If you put the shock like that in the outermost hole you are doing the equivalent of putting in a shock that is almost a half inch longer than it should. This will push the front and rear triangles further apart making the bottom bracket height taller and making the head tube angle steeper (more upright, perpendicular to the ground). There was a thread here a while back where somebody measured the angle with the shock like that and it came out to 72.5*. Just for reference a really fast steering XC racing bike typically uses a 71* angle. 72.5* is just going to be incredibly twitchy and very unstable at speed. Quite honestly with such a steep angle the bike should feel very unforgiving and just not very pleasant to ride at all. Switch the shock the other way and into the inside hole and the HA will slacken to about 70*. This is far more stable and a much better suited to its role as an all around trail bike. Also note what I mentioned about putting the linkages into the short travel holes where the standard 4.5" rockers would go. There was also another recent thread on this. Those 5.25 rockers were designed primarily around the 5th element which has a slightly larger air sleeve. Putting the rockers on the long travel holes causes the air canister on the shock to hit the tube below it at some point in its travel. The standard float has a slightly smaller diameter air sleeve so it might not bump at all or bump less. Nevertheless its better to just put the rockers in the correct hole and make sure the shock is not acting as its own bottom out bumper when it hits the frame.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here is some pics of my Blade..... just posted it for sale if you know anyone interested. I want to swap over to a roadie.

Here is my build up:

Medium Frame
TALAS RLT fork
TALAS rear shock
MAXM 90mm/7 deg rise stem
MAXM carbon bars & seatpost
XTR crankset, cassette, front derailer, & chain
Eggbeater Stainless Steel pedals
SRAM X.O rear derailer and grip shifts
Magura Marta SL brakes
Titus Cycles seat
King ISO, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Stans Olympic rims with yellow rim tape
Salsa stainless skewers
Schwalbe 2.1 Racing Ralph rear, 2.25 Racing Ralph front

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is mine

Since the picture I have changed the XT chainring to a Race Face Duec , the X.9 trigers are now X.0 twists , and the seat is a maxim "titus" brand. I am still waiting for my XTR rear Caliper so I can run disks on the back. I am also saving up for a long travel RP3 , as I already have the links , just need the shock "I find the current long travel Float AVA bobs to much"

Attachments

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
i am finally part of the [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!

I just got my blade!!!!! I was literally jumping up and down cant frigin wait to ride it on something technical!!!!! as soon as i get pics ill post em...

more info with the pics havent gone through the whole list yet
mike - 14 yrs old and crazy as ever

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.