Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read on bike rumor that in addition to the new carbon 29er hardtail SC was also coming out with a carbon frame like the butcher or nickel.
Does anyone know anything about this?
thank you
brian

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
srfwito said:
I thought I read on bike rumor that in addition to the new carbon 29er hardtail SC was also coming out with a carbon frame like the butcher or nickel.
Does anyone know anything about this?
thank you
brian
Doubtfull, it'd end up being too close in price to the carbon VPP bikes which are the flagship models.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Rivet said:
Doubtfull, it'd end up being too close in price to the carbon VPP bikes which are the flagship models.
Here's the bikerumor article: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/01/28...ail-xc-mountain-bikes-coming-from-santa-cruz/

From the article: We just got invited to a little camping trip where we're told we'll be riding some new bikes from Santa Cruz, some with big wheels, some with small wheels, some carbon, some alloy. All are XC and Trail oriented, and other than the hardtail you're looking at above, they'll be fully suspended.

Given that there's already a Tallboy in their line up, our guess is the "Trail" bike will be the carbon one and get 26″ wheels and be based on the recent single-pivot Butcher or Nickel (info here, video here, actual weights here), and the alloy will be a "budget" 29er XC rig based on the Tallboy, but that's pure speculation. Seriously, they ain't spillin' no beans on these things until mid-to-late-ish March. Now, how to get a wireless signal in the Utah desert…

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
They're missing an APP 29er so I'm guessing it'll be in the mix along with the carbon Jackal. The APP 29er wouldn't be all that hard to design and wouldn't require any long lead time carbon tooling to bring it to marker.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see an APP or SP 29er. We won't see a carbon APP bike. They are the heaviest of SC's designs. They can't be made to perform as well as a VPP, and can't be made as light as an SP. Since SP bikes are already pretty light, we MIGHT see a carbon SP bike, but I think that's also doubtful for marketing purposes. They'll use the premium materials on the premium architecture.

One of the big advantages of a hardtail is light weight, and one of the shortcomings is rough ride, so that's also a logical place to use carbon.

·
Team Awesome
991 Posts
Danish Dynamite said:
I hope SC releases a carbon 26" fully with 120mm travel, 13.2" BB height, 68.5 HT and 73 ST - SC needs something like the Yeti 5.
Yah, that'd be nice. The Blur XC is a little bit too little bike for me, if you know what I mean. Not that I'm actually going to buy one, but for my e-quiver a 5" travel XC frame (complete with longish tt measurements - I'm looking at you, Blur LT) would be the perfect bike for e-riding.

Unless they give it away, though, I'm not going to be riding it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bigb73 I know how you feel,I purchased a 2010 Heckler and SC came out with the Butcher,the bike shop I bought it from had a brand new Butcher 3 weeks later.Dont get me wrong the Heckler is a great bike but I would have held out for the extra suspension.So to make myself feel better I went and purcashed the Nomad C 2 weeks ago.

·
default title
541 Posts
Damn. Yep. Carbon Jackal.

a href="../jackal/" PreviewName="jackal" -- Jackal
a href="../stigmata/" PreviewName="stigmata" -- Stigmata
a href="../carbon_jackal/" PreviewName="jackal" -- Carbon Jackal

Link heads nowhere right now. No other "hidden" bikes in the main page. Well, they do still have a v10 (aluminum) link..

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Yeah- Santa Cruz should never change models and have stuck with the Tazmon only, or release their year 2030 models right now.

They're just as good of bikes as when you bought them. I fully expect to see a Tallboy LT soon, since my new Tallboy just got dirty.

·
Registered
298 Posts
lol, SC was fooling around with false links and hints in the page code for some time, just to make fun of the forum Sherlocks :)
I think it started around the time Tallboy or NomadC was about to be released... there is a note on this in some older thread...

·
default title
541 Posts
misuge said:
lol, SC was fooling around with false links and hints in the page code for some time, just to make fun of the forum Sherlocks :)
I think it started around the time Tallboy or NomadC was about to be released... there is a note on this in some older thread...
Haha...nice.. Why don't they use that web developer time to fix the broken links on the swobo site rather than red herring the SCB fanboys?
;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.