Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
It is my intention to use a pair of Saint M810 hubs for a set of 29" wheels. They will probably go onto my Tracer 29 when the frames eventually come out. They look great and are lighter than XT hubs, according to Shimano.

I see that you have used the SM-AX80 axle. How do you like it? If you don't mind I'd like to see some shots of the axle. How do you tighten it? do you need to carry any special tools to get the wheel off on the trail? As an alternative I have thought of using a DT Swiss RWS axle. The DT is tool free.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will actually be going out on my maiden voyage tomorrow. I will report back then regarding feel. The 100m thru axle is hollowed out, though a small hole, takes some weight out of the axle. I wish it was black to match the rest of the hub but appears to be stainless, which is good. It has an allen on the non-drive, left side and a hex like bolt on the drive, right side. I tightened the right side up finger tight and then used an allen wrench (5 or 6mm) to lock it in place. It's good having the allen as it makes the wheel removable on the trails without having to carry another wrench/tool. I was looking at the DT Swiss option but my main goal, other than replacing a broken XTR hub axle, was stiffening up the rear end. The DT Swiss option I believe will not have the same stiffening results. Both are expensive options. The Shimano I was able to find online for $43, most places want $120+ for it which is rediculous. It really should come with the hub. What good is a hub with no fixing bolt?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
RIfreeDE said:
It really should come with the hub. What good is a hub with no fixing bolt?
The thing with a thru bolt is that there are different bolt options. For example the new Tracer 29 will come with removable dropouts. So does the Niner RIP. You can use a standard vertical type dropout or a Maxle which has a thread in the right hand dropout. The axle threads into it. If they gave you an axle with the hub it would be more expensive.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well with the 10mm hub I have there is only one option, so for the price of the hub it should come with. Regardless, I looked online everywhere and found it at ebikestop.com. Justin is ur man there. They are real good.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
RIfreeDE said:
Well with the 10mm hub I have there is only one option, so for the price of the hub it should come with. Regardless, I looked online everywhere and found it at ebikestop.com. Justin is ur man there. They are real good.
Thanks for that. I'll give them a try.

You aren't right about the axle though. The Niner RIP which takes a Maxle Lite takes a standard 135/10mm. hub so you can either get it with standard QR dropouts or buy the kit for a thru axle which includes dropouts and the maxle.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ebikestop.com I got on the bike and it improved the stability of my 6.6 100% at least. I actually felt it between the tire tread and ground; better traction and control. Very pleased and well worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.