Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new Rush 600 for my son this weekend. Everything's fine so far.. few details to work out with the LBS. One thing I am looking to get an opinion on has to do with the tubes on the bike. When the bike was oredered, I asked whether it came with presta tubes. My mechanic told me that the wheels are drilled for shrader but there is an adapter on the rims for presta and that the bike would come with Presta. When we picked it up, it had shrader (I didn't even notice this until I got home).

I have been using presta for years and find it to be kind of a pain to take care of 2 bikes with different tubes.. seems like I'm always having to worry about whether the right spare and air valve are packed before heading out on a ride. Before I go back to the LBS and ask them to put presta on the bike as advertised, can anybody school me on pros & cons of one over the other? If it makes a difference, this bike will be ridden year-round, including Minnesota winters.

Thanks.
 

·
...soon to be sith lord..
Joined
·
154 Posts
Big K said:
Just picked up a new Rush 600 for my son this weekend. Everything's fine so far.. few details to work out with the LBS. One thing I am looking to get an opinion on has to do with the tubes on the bike. When the bike was oredered, I asked whether it came with presta tubes. My mechanic told me that the wheels are drilled for shrader but there is an adapter on the rims for presta and that the bike would come with Presta. When we picked it up, it had shrader (I didn't even notice this until I got home).

I have been using presta for years and find it to be kind of a pain to take care of 2 bikes with different tubes.. seems like I'm always having to worry about whether the right spare and air valve are packed before heading out on a ride. Before I go back to the LBS and ask them to put presta on the bike as advertised, can anybody school me on pros & cons of one over the other? If it makes a difference, this bike will be ridden year-round, including Minnesota winters.

Thanks.
My bike uses tubes and I never have had any problems as to which tube to use. They both should work on any rim. Presta tubes usually always come with the nut to hold the stem. I don't know of any advantage of one over the other. I like to use Presta because it's easier to get all the air out of the tube if I flat to store it in my camelback to bring it out of the woods. Other than that, I don't know if there is any other advantage to one over the other.
 

·
Ex-Clydesdale
Joined
·
600 Posts
obi_twan_kenobe said:
Other than that, I don't know if there is any other advantage to one over the other.
If you ever forget to put the cap on a shrader valve and ride around and get mud and dirt in it, you'll figure out what advantadge presta has when you try to put air in. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I've seen prestas running low pressure snap off (not often enough to be an issue though), never seen a shrader do that. As far as the difference, I don't really care either way, I have a mix of both on my bikes, my floor pump has a head that has both (one on each side so I don't have to change anything to switch) so it makes no difference to me when airing up before a ride. I guess the prestas seem to be a little easier since you can let air out easier but I wouldn't bother to change a tire just to switch stems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Big K said:
I have been using presta for years and find it to be kind of a pain to take care of 2 bikes with different tubes.. seems like I'm always having to worry about whether the right spare and air valve are packed before heading out on a ride. Before I go back to the LBS and ask them to put presta on the bike as advertised, can anybody school me on pros & cons of one over the other? If it makes a difference, this bike will be ridden year-round, including Minnesota winters.

Thanks.
For road I use presta. For mtb I prefer schrader.

I like schrader because I can slime my tires. I can use bmx tubes to do my ghetto tubeless setup. I can fill up my tires at gas stations. I can buy schrader tubes anywhere (K-Mart) while presta are usually bike shops.

Even though I use schrader tubes, my spare tube is usually a presta. I can use a presta tube on schrader rims while you can't use schrader on presta rims. I carry the presta just in case one of my riding buddies uses a presta and flats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Just get the adapter...

6 of one, half dozen of another...
The upside of the schrader would be when your son is riding with people other than you, most lower line bikes come with shrader valves, and nearly every garage in america has a tire pump with only a shrader pump head. I prefer presta valves.
Your LBS sells an adapter that fits in the drilled hole in the rim, and it "narrows" the opening down to the presta size.
P.S. your "Good Father" rating just gain 30 points, sounds like a great bike for your son.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
RyderX said:
6 of one, half dozen of another...
The upside of the schrader would be when your son is riding with people other than you, most lower line bikes come with shrader valves, and nearly every garage in america has a tire pump with only a shrader pump head. I prefer presta valves.
Your LBS sells an adapter that fits in the drilled hole in the rim, and it "narrows" the opening down to the presta size.
P.S. your "Good Father" rating just gain 30 points, sounds like a great bike for your son.
I forgot to mention that I sometimes use the presta valve in my shrader rim without the adapter. I put the presta nut on the inside of the rim to keep the tire from blowing through the valve hole.
 

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
Joined
·
16,469 Posts
Yeah presta's are a bit nicer for a few reasons, mostly mentioned already. Less prone to gunking up, no sprung valve core to crap out, nice little nut that keeps a valve from playing peekaboo down in the rim when you stuff the pump head on, etc. With a schraeder drilled rim, just run one nut down to the base of the valve,, then another on top to sandwich it, and keep things tidy. As a thought, if it really bugs you, ask them to give you some PV tubes, but install them yourself, or keep, and convert once a flat occurs. Or, be willing to pay the shop's labor to have them do it. Just trying to keep things fair, it's not their fault, Cannondale didn't know the shop promised you presta valves =:)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top