Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's time again. My tread is really bad so I need to get something new. I've been running the single ply Ardent 2.4's for the past couple of seasons with good results but I'm kind of interested in trying something new at this point. The Ardents seem to be a good all around tire for my riding but I kinda would like something that rides a little faster and is a bit more durable.

I'm not looking for DH tires at this point. My riding is rocky/rooty New England style with lots of peddling up and down steep technical stuff. I tried 2 plys and it was pretty much impossible to keep up with anybody on those. So the 2 plys only go on when I hit the lifts. Anyone have any time on the new Fat Alberts? I've ridden the Big Betty's and they were decent. I've heard of a couple of 1.5 ply tires out there. Anyone know about those? Any other ideas?

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
If you like it when your tires wash out in corners I'd heartily recommend the Fat Alberta ;)

You can't go wrong with the 2.5" Exo Protection Minion DHFs. They are a single ply and roll rather nicely. At really, really low speed they feel slow but that's the only bad thing I have to say about them.

Its crazy but I've been running 15psi on descents for months on these things. freakish!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm using continental trail kings 2.4 They seem like great tires.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
kingair said:
I'm using continental trail kings 2.4 They seem like great tires.
+1 there, for outright performance as a rear tire, they're the best I've tried yet. They just don't last very long, usually about 35 rides for me.

The DHF 2.5 single ply performs nearly as well, but looks like it will last longer (in better shape at the three week mark, so far). Less volume is what hurts this tire performance-wise.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Schwalbe MM front BB rear....a number of people recommended this combo in the DH forum. Rolling is good and lots of grip with GG compound on front. Available as 2.5 and 2.35 single ply around 950g and 850g respectively.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,190 Posts
...and that is exactly where I am.
My three combos on consideration...

Minion DHF 3C 2.5 Exo
Continental Rubber Queen / Trail King 2.4
Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2.35 GG
( I have a BigBetty 2.4 Triple I could put on the rear )

michael

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
Consider the Spec 2.3 Clutch SX as well - 1000/1010/1030g so spot on on what the catalogue says. Plenty of grip, a tad more than Rubber Queens 2.4 I had before and better rolling. Plus RQ 2.4 UST were sooooo uneven (I had two and both had that)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just got the 3C Minion DHFs 2.5 and although I was worried about them being too much they roll really nice. The weight is a penalty but the grip is excellent. I am really thinking about doing the single ply Minnion to drop some weight but I was suprised that the bigger tires pedle so well. I think all of your choices are good but I think my next set will be the single ply Minion

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do they compare to the 2.4 Ardents? I have a set of 2.5 2 ply Minion DHF's that I use for DH riding but I preferred the 2.4 2 ply Ardent 3C's for the majority of my FR/DH riding. The Minions do get the edge on the wet rock stuff but the Ardents are faster and corner better.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Do you run tubeless?
What rims are these tires going on?

To your orig questions, I've been on the single-ply, 2.4, s-skin, tripple-nano, Fat Alberts setup tubeless on 5.1's since late last season. They are really fast and reasonably grippy in our loose over hard-pack. I favor them any time I have to pedal but want to be able to pin it too.

As several have mentioned the Muddy Mary/Big Betty combo in 2.35/2.4, Tripple Nano, S-skin is a great all-around combo with a LOT of grip. Actually, I prefer MM front and rear. I don't opt for the Gooey Gluey until things get really loose and hairball, otherwise they're too slow.

I rode with a shredder last night that was running the new Minion DH-F single-ply with the EXO sidewalls. It looked VERY much like a Schwalbe sidewall and according to the rider, it felt like it too. He was running a Schwalbe up front, so was able to draw a direct comparsion. At right around 850g, Maxxis may have a Schwalbe fighter on their hands.

That said, these days, I really don't look beyond Schwalbe for trail tires much. Especially since their non-UST's setup tubeless better than many UST tires that I've tried.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Completely of topic but in the 22+ yrs I've been riding Woodark is for sure in my top ten list of BEST riders I've ever ridden with....Doesn't hurt that he also a GREAT guy....For sure making Knolly proud.....Just saying.......CF

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Err said:
Do you run tubeless?
What rims are these tires going on?

To your orig questions, I've been on the single-ply, 2.4, s-skin, tripple-nano, Fat Alberts setup tubeless on 5.1's since late last season. They are really fast and reasonably grippy in our loose over hard-pack. I favor them any time I have to pedal but want to be able to pin it too.

As several have mentioned the Muddy Mary/Big Betty combo in 2.35/2.4, Tripple Nano, S-skin is a great all-around combo with a LOT of grip. Actually, I prefer MM front and rear. I don't opt for the Gooey Gluey until things get really loose and hairball, otherwise they're too slow.

I rode with a shredder last night that was running the new Minion DH-F single-ply with the EXO sidewalls. It looked VERY much like a Schwalbe sidewall and according to the rider, it felt like it too. He was running a Schwalbe up front, so was able to draw a direct comparsion. At right around 850g, Maxxis may have a Schwalbe fighter on their hands.

That said, these days, I really don't look beyond Schwalbe for trail tires much. Especially since their non-UST's setup tubeless better than many UST tires that I've tried.
No tubeless for me. I've tried every variation of tubeless and they simply don't work on our trails. So the tires are going on Mavic 721 rims with tubes.

I've tried most of Schwalbe's line-up and they used to be my go-to tires but I've been liking the Maxxis stuff lately. I really liked the Big Betty's but they wore out stupid fast. I haven't tried the new Fat Alberts, I've heard mixed reviews on them. I also haven't tried the Muddy Mary's but I'm not too interested.

I'm not really into the sticky rubber thing. Sure they hook up like crazy but they wear out too fast and they ride too slow. I've found I can find my own traction with proper weight shifting as long as the knobs right.

Might have to take a 2nd look at the Minion DHF's w/the new sidewalls.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CRAZY FRED said:
Completely of topic but in the 22+ yrs I've been riding Woodark is for sure in my top ten list of BEST riders I've ever ridden with....Doesn't hurt that he also a GREAT guy....For sure making Knolly proud.....Just saying.......CF
Thanks for the kind words. We need to hook up for a ride soon.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Judging by the look and reviews of the 2.5 DH-F EXO's, I don't think you can go wrong. The Muddy Marry is a stellar tire for pinners though and give decent wear.

·
Arrrgggghhh!!
281 Posts
I've been running the Big Bettys up front for a year or two now and had settled on them as a killer AM front tire, but couldn't run them in the rear due to quick wear. I've been through all types of options on the rear and was almopst sold on the Rubber Queen 2.4's in the rear except for all of the pinch flats.

I've been swapping out for the Dual Ply DHF 2.5 Minions when shuttling or at the resorts and have always liked that tire.

I just bought the EXO Minions and have two solid technical rides on them. They roll faster than the Big Betty, seem to grip just as good as the BB and the Dual Ply version, and they even seem to have that magical Schwalbe sidewall feel.

I was tossing around the idea of running the Big Betty up front with the EXO Minion in the back, but now I'm leaning more to running the EXO DHF minion as a pair since they performed well that way so far.

Maxxis is going to sell a ton of these tires. I can't believe they took so long to release it.

Err said:

·
Registered
12,949 Posts
+1 for the 2.5 Minion DHF singleply Exo. I've been running these on the knolly for couple of months now and have been very pleased. For as big as the knobs are, I thought they rolled pretty fast. Surprisingly quiet and smooth on pavement but not quite has fast as the Ardent on hardpack/pavement. I've only run the 2-ply Ardents and they hook up great on wet rocks and roots, but I think the Minion hooks up better for climbing, braking, and cornering in drier, looser condtions.

They look like they'll last a lot longer than the Ardents too. With the Ardent, the middle tread on the rear was almost gone after 1 week of Bootleg, Gooseberry, and Moab (to its credit it still worked really quite well like this for two or three months longer before I replaced it).

I ran the BB's on my 6.6 for several months and liked them quite a bit, but overall I think the Minion DHF exo is better in almost every way. Costs less too.

I also would consider the Conti Trail King. The 2.4 is huge and grippy and the sidewall compound just seems to wrap itself around roots and rocks. They feel very plush too although I don't have a ton of time on these... just a hour long test ride at I-bike.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Good feedback KRob. I'm in the camp that doesn't love the BB either (yeah, extensive ride time on them) but do LOVE the MM's. And who doesn't love the DH-F? One of the greatest tread patterns ever.

I have a set of Rubber Queen/Trail Kings in 2.4 UST laying around with about a half a mile on them (couple runs through the local jump park). They felt pretty good but haven't really gotten any good time on them. I did manage to rip the rear off the rim in a few minutes time on a big whip gone wrong, but I might have ripped a tubed tire off on that landing. I'm keen to try them again.

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Err said:
I did manage to rip the rear off the rim in a few minutes time on a big whip gone wrong, but I might have ripped a tubed tire off on that landing.
That isn't too surprising. Conti wraps a 2.4 tread around a 2.1 casing or something like that. Its why the tire has full on side knobs. Its also how they can keep the weight down on such a "big" tyre :skep:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts