Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little info for all of you who have had leaking issues with Romic's. Romic says now they have a new o-ring that will do away with any leaking issues and it is ready for any incoming shocks from here out, they say it has tested to no failures. So those of you who really like the performance of the Romic but just are not happy with the leaking at the compression knob issue, Romic claims it is all over with now. I have both of my Romic's being fitted with these new o-ring seals, one of which I am riding today and will let you know if any leaks develop. Might be that they finally have this taken care of.
I Just thought some of you might want to know this, especially those looking to buy a second shock just for the purpose of backing up the Romic based on the amount of posts here about leaking Romic's.
 

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Well, that certainly is welcome news. I have two of those hydraulic squirt guns. It is hard to argue against those being some of the best-suited shocks for the Spots.

I am going to try the new Fox RP3 (sp?) on your recommendation, since you seemed to indicate the 05 swingers were a step in the wrong direction. If you want to unload your 3-way air that I tried, I could be swayed to buy it off you. Everyone needs 4 shocks for their bike, don't they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
DGC said:
I Just thought some of you might want to know this, especially those looking to buy a second shock just for the purpose of backing up the Romic based on the amount of posts here about leaking Romic's.
A day late and a dollar short. I just Ebay'd a near new Vanilla RC that I'm going to Push and I've got the DHX on order. I'll run both next to the Romic and sell which ever two I like the least in order to buy the RP3 for a lighter air option. Wouldn't it be cruel irony if the Romic remained the favorite?

tscheezy, when you going to be back in the full swing of things to allow you to put that RP3 through its paces?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
DGC said:
Just a little info for all of you who have had leaking issues with Romic's. Romic says now they have a new o-ring that will do away with any leaking issues and it is ready for any incoming shocks from here out, they say it has tested to no failures. So those of you who really like the performance of the Romic but just are not happy with the leaking at the compression knob issue, Romic claims it is all over with now. I have both of my Romic's being fitted with these new o-ring seals, one of which I am riding today and will let you know if any leaks develop. Might be that they finally have this taken care of.
I Just thought some of you might want to know this, especially those looking to buy a second shock just for the purpose of backing up the Romic based on the amount of posts here about leaking Romic's.
Ever since I got my 3rd (that's right 3) leaking shock back from Romic, I've been afraid to touch the compression knob. 2 out of 3 failures occurred when I tried to adjust the compression.

I wonder if Romic will replace the o-ring on my shock. I originally bought the bike, with romic shock, a little over a year ago. I hope that Romic will still honor the warranty since I've had such horrible performance with it.

If they do it for free, then I'll still consider a Romic for my next bike. If they charge for the fix, then I'll have it fixed, sell it, then buy a Fox. I've had good CS experiences with Romic. Maybe they'll do the right thing here.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
I'll be home around the first week in September. I should be able to ride a bit then. I need to rework a few of the route descriptions in my Kodiak bike guide to reflect trail changes, so I will actually have a purpose.
 

·
~~~~~~~~
Joined
·
5,931 Posts
thanks, I've been wanting to ask what's up with Romic.
If for some reason they don't survive do you think Push will be able to start servicing them?

We are headed off today, dragging a couple Turners between OR and CO for few weeks. Hoping for no shock emergencies...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
A day late and a dollar short. I just Ebay'd a near new Vanilla RC that I'm going to Push and I've got the DHX on order. I'll run both next to the Romic and sell which ever two I like the least in order to buy the RP3 for a lighter air option. Wouldn't it be cruel irony if the Romic remained the favorite?

tscheezy, when you going to be back in the full swing of things to allow you to put that RP3 through its paces?
Oddly enough I'm in the same boat. I have a PUSHed RC on my RFX now and my Romic has a couple of hours to go on it's ebay auction HERE

I've been eyeing up the DHX as well. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
airwreck said:
thanks, I've been wanting to ask what's up with Romic.
If for some reason they don't survive do you think Push will be able to start servicing them?
I'm sure that Darren @ PUSH is intimately familiar with them given he used to be Darren @ Romic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
Blue bob knob

DGC said:
Just a little info for all of you who have had leaking issues with Romic's. Romic says now they have a new o-ring that will do away with any leaking issues and it is ready for any incoming shocks from here out, they say it has tested to no failures.
This sounds promising but does it address the problem where the shock does not leak but the blue bob knob doesn't do anything? Romic claimed that was internal material from shock break-in clogging the wrong port but some have had to send their shock in more than once for this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
why...That just utter

Roy said:
This sounds promising but does it address the problem where the shock does not leak but the blue bob knob doesn't do anything? Romic claimed that was internal material from shock break-in clogging the wrong port but some have had to send their shock in more than once for this problem.
reality, as far as I can tell.

I got brave and re-adjusted the bob knob. There was a small difference between full on and full off....but not much. Small enough that I may have imagined the difference.

This particular shock was sent back twice, but not for that. It got sent back for attempting to lubricate my bike without prior permission. To be fair.....I've gone at least 3 months without requiring service.

I guess it's time to talk to Romic......again.

Fox DHX.......Hmmmmmm. Air? No. I can't go air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Boy Valve

Roy said:
This sounds promising but does it address the problem where the shock does not leak but the blue bob knob doesn't do anything? Romic claimed that was internal material from shock break-in clogging the wrong port but some have had to send their shock in more than once for this problem.
Those who want more compression damping than the stock range has, can send the Romic shocks back to the manufacturer and have them re-valved for the heavier valving. I have it on one shock, and it turns firm quickly starting at just 3 clicks in. It is a very easy change in shim stack set up for Romic to do.
Here is a little more info for you all..........I also have found that when I ran 1 Romic alone for about 6 months, once it was opened for service the oil was waaay black inside. It would be a good idea to send it in for service/oil change if you put a lot of rough rocky miles on the bike, 6 months later it will be time for at least an oil change in there. If your terrain is not constantly choppy and rocky, then probably a little longer would be fine. It definately will depend on your riding if you want to follow up on oil changes every 6 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmmm.........

tscheezy said:
Well, that certainly is welcome news. I have two of those hydraulic squirt guns. It is hard to argue against those being some of the best-suited shocks for the Spots.

I am going to try the new Fox RP3 (sp?) on your recommendation, since you seemed to indicate the 05 swingers were a step in the wrong direction. If you want to unload your 3-way air that I tried, I could be swayed to buy it off you. Everyone needs 4 shocks for their bike, don't they?
The only problem if i sell a shock, then I will only have 6 shocks in my corral.......!!!!!!!
I will think about it T, I do like the 3 way still, but not as much as I do the RP3.
I also have been running the 05 internals in my Minute 1 fork, nice stuff. That you cant have!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
Not the same issue

DGC said:
Those who want more compression damping than the stock range has, can send the Romic shocks back to the manufacturer and have them re-valved for the heavier valving. I have it on one shock, and it turns firm quickly starting at just 3 clicks in. It is a very easy change in shim stack set up for Romic to do.
If you read the Blue bob knob thread, there are numerous individuals (myself included) who's blue knob worked at first and then stopped working. Romic acknowledge this as internal debris from break-in clogging the internals of the platform circuit. My blue knob stopped working, I sent it in for warranty and did not get the big boy treatment, but they fixed the problem (for now - knock on wood).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
I also have been running the 05 internals in my Minute 1 fork, nice stuff. That you cant have!!!!!!!

you can modify the '04 SPV damping to pretty much mimic the '05 by drilling one small hole in the SPV assembly shaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
incubus said:
Oddly enough I'm in the same boat. I have a PUSHed RC on my RFX now and my Romic has a couple of hours to go on it's ebay auction HERE

I've been eyeing up the DHX as well. :)
I have a vanilla RC on my XCE. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on what you think are the major difference in performance between your RC, Pushed RC and Romic.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not really

Paul5s said:
I also have been running the 05 internals in my Minute 1 fork, nice stuff. That you cant have!!!!!!!

you can modify the '04 SPV damping to pretty much mimic the '05 by drilling one small hole in the SPV assembly shaft.
That mod only helps a little. The breakaway point of the seal gland in the SPV is also less than the 04, and the outer piston o-ring that glides against the inner stancion wall has been changed to a flat profile and different compound material, it lessens the stiction a bit too. Yes the .700 of an inch hole drilling will help create a bit more oil flow, but thats a small difference compared to all these little things at the same time. I would get a little clunking sound from the damper if I ran the SPV air below 25 psi., now with the 05 damper I can run the SPV as low as 15 psi. and not get any noise. Seems that is about the lowest I can get the SPV to work and keep the rebound damper working.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top