Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

Just bought a new KM so that i can fit the Rohloff and make the Comandante single speed again. Love it so far, didn't realise there would be such a huge difference between the chrome-moly of the KM and the aluminium (with carbon fork) of the Ventana. i can't believe the versatility of the frame, planning on converting it to a touring bike for a trip around france next year and by the looks of it'll be perfect.

Anyhow, it's been raining here and water has found it's way into the frame, no problem as i have removed the cable guide bolt under the bottom bracket and (almost) everything drains out. however, yesterday i lifted the front wheel and brown (rust) coloured water came out the holes in the chainstays. Is this water actually coloured that way from rust? and if so how does one go about applying some kind of rust prevention to the inside of a frame?

Thanks for any help.

Ty

Attachments

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
simplespeed said:
G'day,

Just bought a new KM so that i can fit the Rohloff and make the Comandante single speed again. Love it so far, didn't realise there would be such a huge difference between the chrome-moly of the KM and the aluminium (with carbon fork) of the Ventana. i can't believe the versatility of the frame, planning on converting it to a touring bike for a trip around france next year and by the looks of it'll be perfect.

Anyhow, it's been raining here and water has found it's way into the frame, no problem as i have removed the cable guide bolt under the bottom bracket and (almost) everything drains out. however, yesterday i lifted the front wheel and brown (rust) coloured water came out the holes in the chainstays. Is this water actually coloured that way from rust? and if so how does one go about applying some kind of rust prevention to the inside of a frame?

Thanks for any help.

Ty
Great looking build, Ty. I wouldn't worry too much about the water that you saw coming out of the chainstays. Squirt some frame saver in there and you'll be fine.

How about a few more pictures of your build (some close ups perhaps)?

BB

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Did you use a speedbone? Someone else built a Rohloff Monkey and fitted the torque lug into the dropout, the torque spread it out after a while.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
simplespeed said:
Love it so far, didn't realise there would be such a huge difference between the chrome-moly of the KM and the aluminium (with carbon fork) of the Ventana.
Ty, nice looking bike. I was just wondering what you mean by this (is this good or bad for the KM)?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
AuntieAPE said:
I need some of that, but is there a good substitute for framesaver that I can get at Lowes or Autozone or someplace like that? My LBS doesn't have any framesaver right now and I don't wanna have to mail order it.
Boiled Linseed oil. That's what was used on cromo aircraft structures forever before Framesaver and such. Still works.

Monte

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
many auto parts and marine stores (like mentioned above) carry boeshield i found out after paying a bunch to mail order frame saver.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks....

Thanks for the frame saver tips, i'll get onto that ASAP.

I changed the setup of the hub yesterday, it started off with the speedbone but this was a difficult setup as i had to romove the bone to get the wheel off. So yesterday i fitted the attachment that fits into the drop-out (as pictured) and this is working very well.....hopefully it doesn't cause the drop-out to spread!! time will tell....

as for my comment on the difference in the ride to my Comandante, i feel that it's a good change to the harsher ride but i am yet to get a lot of miles into the frame off road so we'll see how i like it in a few months.

as for the weight, the bathroom scales say 28.5 lbs, not too bad considering the fork almost weighs half as much as the frame. might put the carbon front end on in the future to shed some lbs.

Attachments

·