·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...look very sweet.

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
I was going to post this yesterday. Very cool. I like the geo and the rigidness but the ability to take a fork is also a plus.

This really reminds me of back with those few ByStickle bikes were floating around here and they really made sense. Fat bikes for more than snow, geometry to ride trails, cool bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
...look very sweet.

View attachment 1945327
Very.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,877 Posts
I've always liked the Blizzard, but I'm really digging this geo update. My only gripe is that they still don't offer 27.5 in the lower end models. Id prefer metal over carbon but they only offer them in 26.

Is there a reason for that? It seems like a trend among most companies. Is it just because an entry level 26 wheelset and tires is that much cheaper than 27.5?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The change toward more progressive geometry came as no surprise. Braaps, roosts and yew! being a basic human right in 2021. But call me genuinely shocked at the value on offer here, esp. the 50 with four-pots and a keeper wheelset.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The change toward more progressive geometry came as no surprise. Braaps, roosts and yew! being a basic human right in 2021. But call me genuinely shocked at the value on offer here, esp. the 50 with four-pots and a keeper wheelset.
Pricewise, I think the 30 is the sweet spot. You could do some good incremental upgrading for less than the $600 more the 50 costs.

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having been through some rear hub drama, the DT350 rear hub is a big attraction for the 50 for me.
This. I was on a remote AK trip last week and one guy showed up with a clapped out bike. Tires full of goatheads, basically looked like he hadn't lifted a finger to maintain it in years. His rear hub died ~30 miles into a 160-mile traverse. We fixed it (by 'fixing' it) and he finished the ride on that.

Served him right for failing to prepare. Would never have happened if he'd had a 350 -- which is what the wife and I were riding...

·
Registered
155 Posts
This. I was on a remote AK trip last week and one guy showed up with a clapped out bike. Tires full of goatheads, basically looked like he hadn't lifted a finger to maintain it in years. His rear hub died ~30 miles into a 160-mile traverse. We fixed it (by 'fixing' it) and he finished the ride on that.

Served him right for failing to prepare. Would never have happened if he'd had a 350 -- which is what the wife and I were riding...
Sounds more like letting the equipment go to hell instead of having the wrong equipment. I'm guessing you and the wife do a better job of the former.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Human Test Subject
1,492 Posts
I said something similar over on The Radavist and a bunch of people who I assume are southerners jumped on my case.

Edit- mobile version doesn't seem to like quotes but I was responding to Mikesee's comment about snow.

·
Registered
596 Posts
To me this geo looks optimized for dirt, and pretty crappy as the snow gets deep and soft. Might be fine on groomed snow tho.
That was my first thought. Most of what we have here is groomed, and groomed well for the most part. In trying different setups and bikes, the longer they get, the harder they are to keep the rear wheel tracking the front. Slackening the front takes the soft touch steering away and asks to lean more, which doesn't work great on even groomed snow. In the well packed snow or if snow isn't built up, it's probably a ripper. Once the snow gets deep, the edges of trail/tread don't offer much forgiveness and it can take a soft pedal and steering touch to keep the bike in the groomed snow around corners.

RM might have it dialed and working great, but I would want to test it well before buying. For 3 seasons and the right conditions in snow it could be one heck of a fun bike though, time will tell if it is good for all around snow riding or not. I would agree, nothing about it makes me think it's for deep snow or first tracks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.