Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new SID available in World Cup? Well there's another model coming:

Spotted on Absalon's bike this is a new SID with a carbon crown like before but with the all important 32mm stancions.

And new Avid Juicy Ultimates Mag SL's. 70 grams lighter than the current ones with a new caliper:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info, The brake caliper is two piece held together with Ti bolts. I guess Sram finally realized the one piece caliper on the current ones sucked!

This pair was made in May so i think production will be underway soon:

Will post more info as i get it. Its 70 grams per pair too thats saved not per brake. Still that puts it at either 300 or 297grams per brake for post mount front 160mm. ISH.

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Tiffster said:
More info, The brake caliper is two piece held together with Ti bolts. I guess Sram finally realized the one piece caliper on the current ones sucked!
I was always under the impression that one piece calipers were more desirable? Or was it just the juicy ultimate one piece body specifically? (pls forgive lack of knowledge on the subject)

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
That's bizarre. And kinda bad at the same time. But at least they've rectified the problem even if it meant going to 2 piece. I'm eyeing off Shimano XT one piece calipers - I hope they don't suffer the same problem.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
nuclear_powered said:
That's bizarre. And kinda bad at the same time. But at least they've rectified the problem even if it meant going to 2 piece. I'm eyeing off Shimano XT one piece calipers - I hope they don't suffer the same problem.
No, they don't. They are just stronger than the XTRs. The XTs are truck stoppers with 180 and 203 rotors and you should be impressed with them. I run the 07 XTR with 180F-160R on my 575 and they are very powerful. Installed the 08 XT and they are overkill for such ride. I was almost tossed off over the bars twice because I tended to treat them as the XTR. They are now stored and waiting for my long travel AM bike, which I still trying to decide which one to get. But that's another thing. ;)

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Tiffster said:

This pair was made in May so i think production will be underway soon:

Will post more info as i get it. Its 70 grams per pair too thats saved not per brake. Still that puts it at either 300 or 297grams per brake for post mount front 160mm. ISH.
So really the original Avid Ultimates should have really been called the Penultimates. :rolleyes: :D Hindsight... :skep: I guess I can't complain too loud, I picked up a pair of Ultimates for not much more than a pair of Juicy 7's and they work pretty well on my hardtail.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
MichauxYeti said:
Hmm, no more banjo mount for the caliper end of the hose. It appears to have a new type of pad as well which uses a pin and circlip to secure them.
Code trickle down technology.:thumbsup: :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tiffster said:
300 gram range yes, But Formula have the new R1 brakes at 240 grams.....
Actually the articel says Formula claims 280grms

"Formula has also trumped the weight of its own Oro Puro brakes with a new R1 model found on Irina Kalentieva's bike. Claimed weight is just 280g per wheel, thanks to an incredibly minimal master cylinder complete with carbon levers, a one-piece calliper body, floating aluminium-and-steel rotors and alloy and titanium hardware all around. Sets are expected to hit the stores this fall."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.