Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what an incredibly beautiful bike Niner builds. Here are a few pictures of my recent build, taken "the morning after". Yes, still has the stickers on the carbon brake levers and no...not dirty yet but that was remedied on the first ride the next day. Lots of mud from the snow melt here in Colorado Springs!

The only new addition was my Thomspon post that came in a few days ago. Still playing with the suspension and waiting for my lungs to get in better shape. Down with bronchitis the past week or so but I feel a few good rides coming on this week.

If there is anyone in the Colorado Springs/Front Range area that would like to try a large Rip set up with the Duc, feel free to shoot me an email and we can make it happen.

Roll in Peace,

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
twobytandem.... Don't live in the CO Springs area... too bad.... Anyway, I am thinking of getting myself a new rip9. I am tall (6'4"), so a 29er makes sense. However, I don't have access to a test ride. Most of the 29er attributes make sense to me, while the negatives don't seem so negative to me. Except one.... I have heard 29ers are hard to wheelie/manual/bunnyhop. I ride aggressive XC and enjoy throwing the bike around, so that would be a problem for me. Can you let me know your thoughts on the issue once you get some good time in on your steed. If anyone else can weigh in on the issue, I'd appreciate it!!! Thanks.....

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheelie/Manual/Bunnyhop

I notice that it takes a little more "oomph" to get the front end to come up for a wheelie but not a terrible amount. More of like when you learned how to do one in the first place, seems that it's just a dynamics thing with the axle centers being in a different place than where a 26" wheel would have them.

Bunnyhopping seems just as easy, tried it a few times today and once again, it's more of a timing/geometry thing...and the fact that my bike weighs ~29lbs and not the 20lb's of my cross bike. Any way you slice it, you have to lift the weight...

For manuals, I've never really been a skilled enough rider to pull them off well but I'd figure the dynamics of the Niner would be easy to learn on.

I've always found, there is a "perfect" bike with "perfect" geometry for just about every purpose...but the rider who gets to know their own equipment the best seems to make every motion effortless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts