Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the giant.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im buying a new bike, but the rims just suck. they are weinneman zac 19 rims (probably spelled wrong). i cannot find any info on them. all i can find is a picture of a drawing. i think it says they are 19mm wide, and 24mm depth. oh. and they are 32h.

so im going to get new rims, and lace them up myself. the bike is for urban and dirtjump. im looking at spank spike rims. they are 25mm depth. would the 1mm difference really make a difference? i think ive heard that you can have 1mm of difference, but i may be wrong.

if this isnt the case, whats a good dh/freeride rim that would be able to replace the sh*tty rims and come in white? and under $50 each....

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
And...

The depth of the rim has only a minor effect. What you need to know is the Effective Rim Diameter, ERD, of the rim and the dimensions of the hub to do proper spoke length calculations. The + or - 1mm you've "read" about is for spoke length. It's related to rim size but it isn't arrived at simply by comparing rim depths there are other factors involved. The bottom line is, you can't just buy new rims and swap them out. 90% of the time you'll need new spokes as well, as the originals will be either too short or too long.

From the sounds of it, you've never built a wheel yourself. I would highly suggest that you let some one with experience help/teach you what you need to know and do. If wheel building was as simple as picking a rim, hub, and grabbing a hand full of spokes and sticking them together, then everybody would be doing it, and there'd be no need for professional wheel builders. So do some more research/learning before you get yourself into a mess that will cost you more than a new wheelset to get out of. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Nobody's a wheel builder until they've done a set. Sheldon Brown's web site has a very good set of instructions. If you're patient and can follow instructions, you can also build your own wheels.

·
the giant.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reptilezs said:
lets see, a bike that comes with zac19 rims is most likely not meant for urban/dj. you may just want to get a proper bike instead
its a lower end dj bike. the haro steel reserve 1.1.

so because i would have to get new spokes as well, should i just get a whole new wheelset? something with better hubs than the stock. i found pretty good rims i could use (i guess now with new spokes) (and they are spank spike rims).

or should i just get something like azonic outlaws? or whats another affordable wheelset? (must come in white)

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
I would vote for getting a new wheel set
You'll get better hubs, hoops, and possibly spokes that way too.
Check out BWW (forum sponsor)

As far as building a set your self, you'll of course need new hoops, and probably (maybe) spokes - you'll have to calculate that on your own.
Anyway, building your own can often be more expensive than just buying a set (maybe not in your case since you wouldn't HAVE to buy hubs). - especially if you count your time as $$.
BUT, most any can learn to build a wheel. It just takes patience and attention to detail (ALOT of attention especially for the newbie).
So, why not order a custom set that fits all the spec's you'd like from BWW, and use your old set to practice on?

ehh, whatever - do what you want. :thumbsup:

but read this first!
http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

Maybe he'll even bless us with a comment or two ;) :p

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
gbosbiker said:
its a lower end dj bike. the haro steel reserve 1.1.

so because i would have to get new spokes as well, should i just get a whole new wheelset? something with better hubs than the stock. i found pretty good rims i could use (i guess now with new spokes) (and they are spank spike rims).

or should i just get something like azonic outlaws? or whats another affordable wheelset? (must come in white)
if thats the case then just get a new wheelset. i see wheelsets with dual duty fr or sun single track rims for 99-125 all the time. http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=33

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.