Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running Derby carbon 40mm external rims since 2014 now and although I've only written off one rim I think its time to try something not quite as wide. I'm only 133lbs and although I'm an aggressive rider I feel like the stiffness of them is too much for my weight. I'm leaning more towards either a 27mm or 30mm internal rim and going back to Alu. They're going to be fitted to a mk1 Bronson and I'll be lacing them up to my already exisiting Chris King hubs with whatever spokes I chose so looking for rim only options and need to be avalable in 32 hole.

Ride a vareity of different terrain and places, sometimes rocky, sometimes loam, sometimes smooth, sometimes tech.

What would you go for?

·
Registered
15,000 Posts
I like Sapim Laser spokes with carbon rims from CarbonFan or BTLOS. I would not go below 30mm inner unless you're riding Enduro or DH tires and speeds. At your weight you can go for a lighter rim build. My CarbonFan build isn't overly stiff. I run low pressure too which adds compliance with traction. Have you tried going down in pressure until you start to get rim hits on light sidewall tires? Could work for some terrains listed. I guess you've got too many terrain variations for one tire, rim and pressure. What you have may be right for something. Your rim with a 2.5 or 2.6 tire at less than 14 front. Another setup for something else.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
No mention of tire size.

First, you determine your tire type and casing width.

THEN, you determine your rim inner width. i30mm is the best all round but for semi slick 2.4" tires the i25mm is superior.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Current setup is a 2.3 magic Mary on the front and a 2.4 HR on the back but I’m swapping soon for a more ‘all weather’ setup and for whistler. Going to swap to a 2.5 DHF front and a 2.3 aggressor on the back. I’m in the UK as well so some suggestions so far aren’t easy to get in this country. I already run 19 psi continually other than rocky rides when pinches become too risky

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Current setup is a 2.3 magic Mary on the front and a 2.4 HR on the back but I'm swapping soon for a more 'all weather' setup and for whistler. Going to swap to a 2.5 DHF front and a 2.3 aggressor on the back. I'm in the UK as well so some suggestions so far aren't easy to get in this country. I already run 19 psi continually other than rocky rides when pinches become too risky
Dt swiss xm481

·
Registered
15,000 Posts
Current setup is a 2.3 magic Mary on the front and a 2.4 HR on the back but I'm swapping soon for a more 'all weather' setup and for whistler. Going to swap to a 2.5 DHF front and a 2.3 aggressor on the back. I'm in the UK as well so some suggestions so far aren't easy to get in this country. I already run 19 psi continually other than rocky rides when pinches become too risky
I think those rims are too wide for the tires you're choosing for your terrain. And you need tires that work in wet conditions. I'm out on those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.