Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I curently have a Karate monkey fork on my Rig, which as far as I can tell works just fine. But it's the only fork I have riden on this frame so I don't have anything to compare it to. I am thinking of upgrading to a TI Sibex or Spicer fork. So if anyone out there has any experience or suggestions with these forks I would be interested to hear anything you would have to say. Thanks.

P.S. I weight about 150 lbs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i just ordered a chris inglehard (i'm sure i spelled it wrong) rigid steel fork for the front of my rig. it is 470mm axle to crown race keeping the geometry the same as the stock reba. you can find this fork on bikeman.com if you are interested. he has been making forks since the old fatcity days. can't wait.
i'm not totally sold on titanium forks, i weight around 160 myself and was steered toward steel not only for ride characteristics but for longevity as well. i'm not a study the bike before every ride kinda guy. if its got air in the tires its good... i'll look stuff over maybe on a weekly basis.
good luck with whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe steel?

rlb said:
i just ordered a chris inglehard (i'm sure i spelled it wrong) rigid steel fork for the front of my rig. it is 470mm axle to crown race keeping the geometry the same as the stock reba. you can find this fork on bikeman.com if you are interested. he has been making forks since the old fatcity days. can't wait.
i'm not totally sold on titanium forks, i weight around 160 myself and was steered toward steel not only for ride characteristics but for longevity as well. i'm not a study the bike before every ride kinda guy. if its got air in the tires its good... i'll look stuff over maybe on a weekly basis.
That sounds interesting. How much does a fork like that weigh? I've been reading a lot of the posts in this forum and Walt works also sounds like a good choice?

·
Registered
28 Posts
according to bikeman.com the fork is a "igleheart" (correct spelling)
it is 1102 grams, again according to bikeman.
i have also heard about Walt works forks, available in either steel or Ti. i have no experience with them but are suppose to be nice.
independant fabrications also has a really nice fork, i have a 430mm axle to crown that is really sweet, steel that is. i think that is around 1400 g's not positive though.
i think even if you go with steel rather than Ti the front end should feel way lighter than the stock reba. i'm not super concerned with weight, i just wanna ride. :D so a few extra grams for dependability to me is well worth it.
good luck shopping

·
Registered
28 Posts
i don't know if walt is just labelling someone elses Ti fork, but my buddy ordered a Ti custom fork from him not long ago... a week or two.
i guess the best thing to do would be to call him and ask.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just some info for ya....

rlb said:
I had chris build a 100mm corrected fork for for my HCR. I gave him the ac (455) and he did the rest. He got it right......handling is spot on....would'nt change a thing. Good choice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
donkey said:
Hmmm.....I would steer you towards a steel fork from Walt. They are light(less that 1000 grams) and inexpensive in comparison to other custom steel forks on the market.

B
how much does a walt steel fork run? the chris igleheart is right around $250.00.
not saying that one is better than the other, just curious.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I took my Walt Works fork out for its maiden off road ride today. It is one sweet fork. The only downer is it is on a 26 incher (adjusted for a 63mm suspension fork), waiting to get a new 29er soon.
This is a real compliant fork yet it works great in tight switch backs and is vedry stable.
I would find it hard to recommend anything else.
Wayne

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.