Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I find amateur biking self in quite the perdicament: do I upgrade the drivetrain on my current Trek 600 (paid a whopping total of $350 for), or do I get a whole new rig? I spend most of my time on pavement/gravel around town, mostly as a means of transportation, and do very little mountain biking. Any opinions would be awesome.

The one big benefit I see in getting a new rig is having my current Trek as "around town, i dont really care if it gets stolen" bike, and using the new bike for my long excursions and trail riding.

All brands seem the same nowadays, and I have been looking at G. Fishers, K2, and Kona. Since I'm not an extreme rider, I figure any brand would suit me just fine.

Thanks ahead of time,

Lumbo

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Lumbo said:
Hello all,

I find amateur biking self in quite the perdicament: do I upgrade the drivetrain on my current Trek 600 (paid a whopping total of $350 for), or do I get a whole new rig? I spend most of my time on pavement/gravel around town, mostly as a means of transportation, and do very little mountain biking. Any opinions would be awesome.

The one big benefit I see in getting a new rig is having my current Trek as "around town, i dont really care if it gets stolen" bike, and using the new bike for my long excursions and trail riding.

All brands seem the same nowadays, and I have been looking at G. Fishers, K2, and Kona. Since I'm not an extreme rider, I figure any brand would suit me just fine.

Thanks ahead of time,

Lumbo
Upgrading a $350 bike is probably not worthwhile unless things are broken/worn out andyou are really attached to that particular bike.

Your option of getting a second bike as your primary tralibike and keeping your existing one for around town excursions is probably the most feasable.

There are some amazing deals to be had on entry level hardtails (I would stay away from cheap full suspension). Check out some of the entry level Specialized, Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher, Kona etc. The biggest thing is going to be getting you to throw a leg over each one and doing a bit of a demo ride. Which one feels best. Are you more comfortable with the streched out Gary Fisher geometry, or the shorter giant? Also take into consideration the bike shop you might be doing the purchase from. Are you getting a good feeleing, or after you leave you feel like you need a shower similar to a leaving a used car lot with sleazy sales staff?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 6', 185, so i'm thinking more along the lines of a stretched out Fisher. What would be the correct size frame for me, 19"? I guess it is all how i feel and will take your advice and demo the crap outta some bikes here in town. I definitely think I need a town bike, so when it does get stolen, it wont matter much. I've seen too many of my friends lose some incredible bikes to thieves.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.