Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chief Looter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys/Gals,
I just started riding last month. I bought an old univega MB from a fellow service member for $150. I have ridden my bike in the mountains around the Chattanooga, TN area and in/around the Fort Polk, LA area as well. The bike rides great on small hills, but in the mountains in TN it had trouble shifting; sometimes it would jump a gear (rear sprockets). Other times it would jump back and forth between gears (all on the back sprockets). All the componets (except tires/rims) on the bike are shimano deore. I know this is an old bike so the parts on it may be worn out or they might just need tuning/adjusting. I'm going to take it to a bike shop here in LA or back in TN if I ever get back home. If I need to replace the gears/shifters, what would you recommend? I use the bike for commuting to work here on post (all paved) and riding out in the woods. I do not race, but I would like some equipment that will hold up to riding in the TN mountains (don't want to break the piggy bank either). Thanks for any feedback and now back to sifting through some of the posts on here with similar questions.

PS...does anyone have a link to a thread that would have a list of "basic cycling lingo"? I'm fairly lost at trying to understand some of the posts. Thanks again.

BlueDuck

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
the derailleurs are probably out of adjustment or the cables are stretched out thats probably why your having shift issues. you said its an older bike so your probably due for some routine maintanence. take the bike to your local bike shop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree that your cables are out of adjustment. Take the bike to a local shop, and ask them if you can watch the mechanic. Most shops don't have a problem with this. Be sure to ask questions, he'll be the one to show you how to do everything. Thats how I learned.

By the way, since you're at Ft.Polk, your not one of those "Commie" Op-For boys are you? I went thru J.R.T.C. five times during my time, and only survived once!

·
Chief Looter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
m2gunner said:
I agree that your cables are out of adjustment. Take the bike to a local shop, and ask them if you can watch the mechanic. Most shops don't have a problem with this. Be sure to ask questions, he'll be the one to show you how to do everything. Thats how I learned.

By the way, since you're at Ft.Polk, your not one of those "Commie" Op-For boys are you? I went thru J.R.T.C. five times during my time, and only survived once!
M2Gunner,
I'm not a Geronimo. I came to Polk as part of the 2d ACR, deployed to Iraq with them and when we came back, the ACR moved to Germany. I stayed herea at Polk and helped stand up a BDE from the 10th Mountain Division...so now I'm an armor officer in a light infantry BDE...go figure. Anyway, thanks to all for the feedback..I'll be on my way to a bike shop soon. Thanks again.
BlueDuck

·
Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
MTB slang

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like everyone else has given sound advice, so I'll only add a little. Should the LBS determine that you need new shifters or derailleurs, I would stick with Alivio or Deore level components. Not much need to put a ton of money into a $150 bike. As for MTB slang, do a google search. Here's a head start:

http://www.isu.edu/~nickbenj/bike/mtbdic.htm

Bob

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If you want to take a crack at adjusting the derailler yourself, your friends at Park Tool have pretty good advice:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53

As far as terminology, don't hesitate to reply to a post you don't understand to get clarification. Most MTBR posters are happy to show off their vast knowlege, although there are a few tools that will try to make you feel like an idiot.:rolleyes: Just ignore 'em.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BlueDuck said:
M2Gunner,
I'm not a Geronimo. I came to Polk as part of the 2d ACR, deployed to Iraq with them and when we came back, the ACR moved to Germany. I stayed herea at Polk and helped stand up a BDE from the 10th Mountain Division...so now I'm an armor officer in a light infantry BDE...go figure. Anyway, thanks to all for the feedback..I'll be on my way to a bike shop soon. Thanks again.
BlueDuck
Well sir, If you ever need a Master gunner for a m2a2 bradley, give me a call. I"ll come running. Rember to keep your powder dry, and Charlie Mike!

·
Chief Looter
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All,
Thanks again for the feedback and great links! Am having a blast riding my new old bike around post and on the tank trails...can't wait for it to get summer so I can ride after work and not have to worry about it getting dark too early. Thanks again.
BlueDuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.