Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Rider - Used Bike - In over my head

4K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  GiddyHitch 
#1 ·
Hello All, I'm brand new to any sort of biking (probably rode a bicycle 2x in the last 20 years) but I'm tired of growing fat and lazy! I'm 41 yrs old, 5'10", 205 lbs, relatively new to Northern California having moved from Phx, AZ, and can no longer stand not being out in nature and exploring.

After weeks of lurking here and researching every hardtail imaginable since I really didn't want to spend over $500 for something I have no idea I'll stick with, I rashly bought a used 2018 Diamondback Recoil 29er this past weekend. I had spoken to a couple aquaintances who both said to go full suspension, so that was rattling in my brain, and I saw an ad for a FS lower than what I would spend on a new hardtail (or any used ones I'd seen locally), so I jumped in!

Only later did I get to research the Recoil and find out it's not very recommended. But, at least now I have a bike, and I think it'll be fine for my purposes, which is just getting me out in the wild on some flat easy winding trails, maybe under some redwood trees, building my endurance and shedding a few pounds.

It's totally unlike me to buy something without putting hours of research into it, so I'm kind of freaking out and can't believe I didn't ask more questions, inspect it more closely, etc. I'll get over it, but has anyone else felt this way? Did I completely screw up?

See less See more
#2 ·
As an example of how over my head I am, I went to check tire pressures today and realized I've never used a Presta valve before! Back to YouTube - learned you have to unscrew the little devil - then unscrewed the wrong part and found a little bit of green goop bubbling out - ARE THESE TIRES TUBELESS?!

The seller didn't mention that at all, and I didn't ask, and I've searched every inch of sidewall on both tires and see no mention of tubeless or even "tubeless ready" on the rims. I haven't checked the back tire yet. As far as I've learned so far, the only way to know for sure is to break the seal, and I'm far too lacking in knowledge to attempt that unless I absolutely have to. Front tire is Kenda Honeybadger; rear tire is Specialized Ground Control; both 29ers.

Unless anyone here has any suggestions, I'll probably just ride them and enjoy for now, as long as the front one holds the air pressure.

#22 ·
As an example of how over my head I am, I went to check tire pressures today and realized I've never used a Presta valve before! Back to YouTube - learned you have to unscrew the little devil - then unscrewed the wrong part and found a little bit of green goop bubbling out - ARE THESE TIRES TUBELESS?!
I am so enjoying this :D Like I would read my post :thumbsup:

#3 ·
I wouldn't sweat it. We all bought stuff like that at some point in life...

Just ride it and enjoy. If it is not adequate, buy a better bike after you get some experience.

Even with "better" bikes people end up trading up or upgrading. And as a new rider you don't know if you like more flowy trails or downhill or gravel etc. So chances are the first bike is not the right type anyway.

#4 ·
Yeah, you are right, it's a low end bike, not the best, but it will get you out and started. The only real problem you'll run into is that the suspension isn't designed for someone your weight, most is designed for an avg of about 150-180lbs. You can crank in some pre-load on the spring on the shock and try to crank down the pre-load on the fork, but don't think it'll help too much. All that being said, honestly once you keep it to "tame" trails, you'll be find, my first bike (wasted money as I absolutely fell in love with MTBing) was a ReCoilEX in 2004, lasted 10 months before I pretty much killed all the parts, but I also put 1800 miles in on it and built some good fitness.

#5 ·
njperry, welcome to riding! Like others have said, don't sweat it and just go ride. I think Nor Cal will give you plenty of opportunity to try different types of trail. Get in bike shape, figure out how you like to ride, and base your next bike purchase on that. MTBing is a great community. Make cool new friends, learn from them and by doing, and have fun!

#6 ·
MTB community or even any biking community is usually pretty good. Best bet would be to find a local event aimed at beginners (group rides, some sort of fest, clinics... etc) and they're usually sponsored by a local bike shop (sharp bicycle or mikes, I just searched google) so they'll be around for you to ask questions. And if you're still unsure they can look your bike over and get you set up properly.

I'd just make sure that the shop is more focused on getting you out to ride rather than trying to up sell you on parts or a new bike.

https://mikesbikes.com/pages/free-tuesday-night-tech-clinics

#8 ·
I'd have to say, I'm kind of jealous; just by looking at their website, I wish there's a Mike's near me.

also, if you are of the youtubing type, there are several rabbit holes to go down:

seth's bike hacks
park tools
gmbn
gmbn tech

you'll have to search through their histories (using their playlists is helpful) as a lot of their basics have already been covered long ago

#11 ·
this is what I was thinking. Should offer a little better puncture protection than no sealant at all, but have a weight penalty.

As with anything, there's a learning curve to all of it. Especially if you want to get into the details. But the core of it isn't so complicated.

1. Get a bike (you're covered, it'll get you going).
2. Wear a helmet.
3. Ride the bike.

All the other stuff are little details that might improve the riding experience for you, or not. They might seem overwhelming, but slow down and take them one at a time.

Tire pressure would be the first one I'd do. On that, put enough air in the tires that you don't ding the rims. The exact number isn't really the important thing (it will vary depending on rider weight, tire and rim sizes/combinations, terrain, etc). Maybe a bit firmer if you're riding pavement or smooth gravel. Also make sure you put some chain lube on the chain occasionally, and use a rag to wipe off excess.

It's probably also worthwhile to take the bike to a shop for a tune to make sure you're starting off with a bike that functions as well as it can. Not everyone who's selling a bike sells it in tip-top condition (in fact, most don't). While it's there, you can ask some specific questions if you have any, and they can show you on your actual bike. I would recommend avoiding diving into too much DIY maintenance at first. Ease yourself into that as you feel comfortable taking on new tasks.

#12 ·
Hello All, I'm brand new to any sort of biking (probably rode a bicycle 2x in the last 20 years) but I'm tired of growing fat and lazy! I'm 41 yrs old, 5'10", 205 lbs, relatively new to Northern California having moved from Phx, AZ, and can no longer stand not being out in nature and exploring.

After weeks of lurking here and researching every hardtail imaginable since I really didn't want to spend over $500 for something I have no idea I'll stick with, I rashly bought a used 2018 Diamondback Recoil 29er this past weekend. I had spoken to a couple aquaintances who both said to go full suspension, so that was rattling in my brain, and I saw an ad for a FS lower than what I would spend on a new hardtail (or any used ones I'd seen locally), so I jumped in!

Only later did I get to research the Recoil and find out it's not very recommended. But, at least now I have a bike, and I think it'll be fine for my purposes, which is just getting me out in the wild on some flat easy winding trails, maybe under some redwood trees, building my endurance and shedding a few pounds.

It's totally unlike me to buy something without putting hours of research into it, so I'm kind of freaking out and can't believe I didn't ask more questions, inspect it more closely, etc. I'll get over it, but has anyone else felt this way? Did I completely screw up?
Where in Nor Cal are you located? Link up with some people here to get your feet wet on the trails. Enjoy the outdoors.

#16 ·
You sound like where I was 4 years ago...

Only 45lbs lighter o_0

You'll be fine on that bike for getting out there and getting started.

My first MTB (loose use of the abbreviation) was a KHS Winslow 29er.

I rode that thing like I stole it ;-)

& soon outgrew it...

If you get bit by the bug (& you will), you'll be back here hunting for your next bike in a matter of months =)

Have fun on your new stead.

PS - everyone should learn on a HT.

'Born to ride!'

#17 ·
Thanks for the great connection with btceb.org - been all over their site tonight and already have a list of 3 trails that should be good to start out on. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain all weekend, but that's fine, I still need to get a helmet, gloves, and a couple other things. Not confident my front tire is holding air, so may end up taking the bike to a shop for a full go-through.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Thanks for the great connection with btceb.org - been all over their site tonight and already have a list of 3 trails that should be good to start out on. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain all weekend, but that's fine, I still need to get a helmet, gloves, and a couple other things. Not confident my front tire is holding air, so may end up taking the bike to a shop for a full go-through.

since it's going to rain, you might end up hanging out and chatting it up at the bike shop for longer than you'd expect. which is a good thing.

#19 ·
Hello All, I'm brand new to any sort of biking (probably rode a bicycle 2x in the last 20 years) but I'm tired of growing fat and lazy! I'm 41 yrs old, 5'10", 205 lbs,
I'm in the same boat like you are. I'm not fat, but I noticed whatever I put in to my mouth kinda wonts to stick to my belly :D

I wouldn't worry about if you made a mistake buying wrong bike, I would look that from other perspective. You bought a bike and now you can enjoy and while enjoying you can also get fit.

You can always trade your bike down the road for something else. Just enjoy your ride. I bought 20 years old suspension front and back bike and I don't have a clue about half the stuff on it. But, it will be a great experience to learn a lot. And I'll jump on other bike after one year maybe. You need to start some where and you already made a good start. Now just ride.

#26 ·
Yes, just went for a short 4 miles on a paved trail near my house. Nice to get out, but hope to get off the beaten path soon!

Good for you. I am trying to do each day one short ride. Got issues with my behind, gonna see what is going on there. Just bought a new saddle to fix that issue. I even measured the friking bones in my behind cause of this. But the most important thing is I go each day. And I don't feel pressured. I enjoy my self.

#25 ·
Spend a little time rummaging around here. Asking us and Youtube are probably your best resources. The only thing on that bike I might upgrade, is the rear shock. But to be honest just leave it alone and ride it till you buy a new bike.
I'd worry more about your riding gear and health. A bike is just the vehicle you use for your new hobby.

#27 ·
Yea, I wouldn't worry, just ride it!

I am pretty sure no one in the history of the world bought the perfect bike the first try....

I spent weeks researching, and still didn't get the right bike, but that's ok.

The reason a newbie is unlikely to pick the perfect bike for them on the first try is simply this.

You don't know what you don't know.

Now, I used to think that saying was stupid, of course you don't know something if you don't know it, right?
But turns out, that's not what it means. What it means is that you know so little, that you don't just have incorrect ideas on things, you litteraly don't have ANY ideas on things.
Like, the day I bought my bike a few weeks ago, the term "dropper post" meant nothing to me. I had never heard it. I knew about 1x drivetrains only because some of the bikes I looked at had them... I figured more gears is better, right? I didn't know that I didn't know anything about 1x drivetrains and dropper posts...

Now, I'm a quick learner, and now know enough to know my bike I was so happy about when I bought it (specialized pitch sport) is kinda crappy...
But, that doesn't mean I'm not happy with it.... I'm just glad I didn't spend more!

Now at least I have a bike to ride while I save for the perfect bike I really want, that I didn't know I didn't know I wanted in the first place....🤣

#29 ·
Glad to see I am not the only person in this boat! Bought a used GT Avalanche that turned out to be considerably older than the seller said it was. Everything works on it, though, and I figure it will get me by until I know (1) whether I will stick with the sport, and (2) what kind of bike would be better suited for me. Main goal was to stay in better shape for skiing.

In addition to the stuff you have already found, check Facebook to see if there are groups in your area that do weekly rides. I've found a couple in my area and they range from moderate/aggressive rides to really mellow "no drop" rides. I hope to join up with these people as soon as I figure out how to not make a total fool of myself on the trails.

#30 ·
Just get out and ride...the rest is details. If you find you love riding, tweak the bike you have to make it better or sell it and get a different one. Over time, you'll learn what you like / don't like, what works and doesn't work. Learn more about your personal riding style and trail preference, etc...all in good time. Just go out and get the damn thing dirty.

Everything is a learning curve. You don't know what you don't know, so good on you for taking the steps to learn...you don't have to be an expert...just got to pedal.

Good on you for starting to ride.

#31 ·
Update 4 Months in: We'll folks, I haven't done as well as I'd hoped. I can't believe it's already been 4 months and I've only ridden a handful of times, and only once off road. For several months it was just too hot most days, but now time is a major roadblock: after work and commute standing on the train 40 minutes and walking home, I don't have the energy to make myself go out and ride. It also takes time to research and find a trail nearby I think I could actually ride.

The biggest challenge, if I'm being honest that the first is just an excuse, is just fitness, or lack thereof. My max ride was 6 miles, all flat, and my legs were like jelly. I don't think there's any solution, other than just willpower and patience. I'm sure riding more often, even if short rides, will eventually make a difference, but currently, my flesh is weak!

I'm open to any tips from folks who've been in a similar situation, and I'm excited for the cooler weather we now have, so I have less excuses!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Update 4 Months in: We'll folks, I haven't done as well as I'd hoped. I can't believe it's already been 4 months and I've only ridden a handful of times, and only once off road. For several months it was just too hot most days, but now time is a major roadblock: after work and commute standing on the train 40 minutes and walking home, I don't have the energy to make myself go out and ride. It also takes time to research and find a trail nearby I think I could actually ride.

The biggest challenge, if I'm being honest that the first is just an excuse, is just fitness, or lack thereof. My max ride was 6 miles, all flat, and my legs were like jelly. I don't think there's any solution, other than just willpower and patience. I'm sure riding more often, even if short rides, will eventually make a difference, but currently, my flesh is weak!

I'm open to any tips from folks who've been in a similar situation, and I'm excited for the cooler weather we now have, so I have less excuses!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I understand how you feel. I just got a full time job working at a college and now my cycling habits have changed. Do you have a gym membership? You can always improve your fitness in a gym even if you work out on an elliptical or a stationary bike. You can also look in your area for spin classes too. Lifting weights is always a good option but I recommend that you use a weight lifting program that focuses on strength building.

Right now, I'm starting up a cycling routine on my smart trainer while using Zwift. If you can't afford a smart trainer and a Zwift subscription, you can always get yourself a used bike trainer for $100 (or less) on Craigslist or even Pink Bike and just plug your bike into that. Make sure you have the right adapters so it will work! You can pedal at your own pace and set the tension as you see fit. You can do some simple interval training while on a bike trainer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.