Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided to buy a decent mountain bike- pretty general purpose and nothing extreme. I'd like a disc brake hardtail with a front lockout in a XL size. I'm not worried about weight nor Al vs. Steel.

The bikes I've looked at or considered:

Mongoose Tyax Super
Cannondale F7 disc
Raleigh Mojave 8.0
Giant XTC 2
Giant XTC 1
Kona Hoss

Initially I was looking for about $400 to $500, but soon found I need to spend a little more. Now I'm worried about the bikes strength. I'm 6'7" and 290 lbs.

Seems the Giant and the Kona are the strongest frames, but is the Kona worth $350 more when I've read that the front shock is junk anyway? The rest of the componets seem to have mixed reviews. I want to buy something durable and worry-free, but $1000 is a hella lot of money for a bicycle after all.

Is there a downside to the XTC 2 (assuming I can locate an XL model)?

Thanks for any advise.

JP

·
Registered
7 Posts
have you looked at Marin's B-17? It's a strong bike, very well built. I've been riding one for 2 years now, and it was an 05 with a crappy Manitou fork. I'm buying a Fox 36 Talas to replace it.

I know they have upgraded most of the components including the fork since I've bought mine. And you can find one on close out for around $600.

I'm at 240 by the way.

good luck to your search, happy riding.

·
Registered
332 Posts
How about a Banshee Scirocco ?
One of my riding buddies has this and he is about the same size/weight as you. This bike is undestroyable. But definitely more than 1000$ when built up as shown in the pic.

I would recommend to spend more money in the first place. 1000 $ for a bicycle is not that much....

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
The downside to the XTC models

jpoore said:
So I've decided to buy a decent mountain bike- pretty general purpose and nothing extreme. I'd like a disc brake hardtail with a front lockout in a XL size. I'm not worried about weight nor Al vs. Steel.

Initially I was looking for about $400 to $500, but soon found I need to spend a little more. Now I'm worried about the bikes strength. I'm 6'7" and 290 lbs.

Is there a downside to the XTC 2 (assuming I can locate an XL model)?

Thanks for any advise.

JP
The forks on the XTC models are terrible. The stanchions (tubes) on the dart are 28.6mm, and will flex. I believe the MX has 30mm stanchions, but the damping is horrible. The Hoss is the only reasonable choice of the three. You weigh 290 lbs, bro. The fork on the Hoss, while not the most sophisticated, is beefy, and has 32mm stanchions. Keep in mind, I believe the Hoss is rated for riders 250 lbs and less. Does that preclude you from riding one? No, but at least you know that with the 250lb designation, the bike was built for larger riders. The other bikes just don't cut it.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.