Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a relatively new rider in wanting to buy a new bike looking to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 750-1500 new might consider used not sure. But anyways in a heavier rider I weigh about 330 lbs. so I would like to know what kind on bike would yall recommend. I like to ride about two –three times a week because of work but anyways I would really appreciate the advice. Currently in riding a gt aggressor hard tail have already had to replace on wheel and adjust the second. Would like something better than what I currently have.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
You don't really say what type of riding you like and how aggressive you are, so that makes it more difficult to give a well considered opinion.

One thing I will say is that you might consider getting a bike (probably good to shoot for a hardtail with your stated budget) for around $1,000 and then put $500+/- for a wheelset that will will hold up for you at 330lbs. You are just into that category where you have to be careful or you'll be spending a lot to keep a cheaper wheelset rolling.

You'll also probably want to get a bike with an air sprung fork. Most should be able to handle you and coil springs may not quite get there.

Most of the other stuff should be OK for you when it's all set up right if you're just doing the run of the mill XC riding.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
There is a Clydsdale (thats what they call us big people on bikes,LOL) forum below for people over 200 lbs that would be a good place for advice on bikes/wheels. I'm a Clyde, I've lost quite abit of weight, but I started at 240+, I'm down to about 215 now, Happy Trails

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeffj said:
You don't really say what type of riding you like and how aggressive you are, so that makes it more difficult to give a well considered opinion.

One thing I will say is that you might consider getting a bike (probably good to shoot for a hardtail with your stated budget) for around $1,000 and then put $500+/- for a wheelset that will will hold up for you at 330lbs. You are just into that category where you have to be careful or you'll be spending a lot to keep a cheaper wheelset rolling.

You'll also probably want to get a bike with an air sprung fork. Most should be able to handle you and coil springs may not quite get there.

Most of the other stuff should be OK for you when it's all set up right if you're just doing the run of the mill XC riding.
@jeff j ive been doing some intermeidiate ot advance trails in the dallas area my current bike is a GT agressor Hard tail but my problem is that my rear wheel is constanly need to be adjusted and ive had it replaced onece. sorry to the not mentioning that earlire still kind of new to forums. but yeah ive been doing some riding off road in dallas doing so jumping going down hill and some climing. the climing is a pain but still working on it. any advice would be apricated.

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
I think I replied to your friend last night that if the rest of your bike is working for you, your money is probably best spent on the burliest set of wheels you can swing as you will likely have problems w/ any stock wheelset you'd get on a new bike in that price range. They don't hold up very well to my riding and I've been between 210 and 195 for the past couple of years. Same deal w/ my riding buddies of around my weight.

I'd imagine you're going to want something hand built w/ 32 to 36 hole DH hubs and rims and double butted spokes, but I'm far from a wheel expert. Definitely hit up the Clydesdale and Wheels and Tires sections for some suggestions on wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.