Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all - just getting into MB seriously - am buying my second bike and need some advice. For a fairly novice rider should I be going with mechanical or disc brakes - have read some posts with pros and cons - help!!

Shelley
Ottawa, Canada

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Please clarify

shellvan said:
hey all - just getting into MB seriously - am buying my second bike and need some advice. For a fairly novice rider should I be going with mechanical or disc brakes - have read some posts with pros and cons - help!!

Shelley
Ottawa, Canada
Are you asking if you should go with rim brakes or disc brakes? If this is your question, then read the FAQ section on disc brakes in the brake forum. This will give you some good insight into discs. Bottom line, it has to do with preference, riding style, and to a degree, the weight of the rider. I happen to be a big believer in disc brakes, and would have no problem in recommending them to people regardless of the aforementioned factors of riding style and rider weight. I prefer them over rim brakes because I feel they have better stoping power, and do not wear through your rims.

Best wishes in deciding what's right for you.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call_me_Clyde said:
Are you asking if you should go with rim brakes or disc brakes? If this is your question, then read the FAQ section on disc brakes in the brake forum. This will give you some good insight into discs. Bottom line, it has to do with preference, riding style, and to a degree, the weight of the rider. I happen to be a big believer in disc brakes, and would have no problem in recommending them to people regardless of the aforementioned factors of riding style and rider weight. I prefer them over rim brakes because I feel they have better stoping power, and do not wear through your rims.

Best wishes in deciding what's right for you.

Bob

oops meant to ask whether it should be mechanical or hydraulic disc - not enough coffee yet

·
Banned
226 Posts
Go with hydraulic

shellvan said:
oops meant to ask whether it should be mechanical or hydraulic disc - not enough coffee yet
Shelley,
I have Avid Mechinicals on one bike and they work well and the cost is less than hyd. I also have a bike with Hayes hyd brakes and for me hyd is the only way to go. The difference in braking power and feel greatly outweigh the cost difference between the two. Mech are a little easier to work on, but if your hyd brakes are set up right, you never really need to work on them anyway. I personally say if you have a little extra money, go with hydraulic brakes, they are worth it.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Having done both I am very happy and now prefer my Avid mechanicals. BB7s are just about the easiest brakes I have ever installed, serviced or repaired (on the trail). Sure hydraulics may have a bit more stopping power...for my riding it just doesn't matter.

I also like the fact that there is no fluid, no resevoir and adjustments are made with a set of dials on the caliper body. oh and much cheaper.

·
Banned
226 Posts
shellvan said:

Shelley
Ottawa, Canada

I would say you should go ask the chicks in the womens lounge too. They may give you a better view, from a womans angle. Like I said, the mech work well, but hyd is better, but they do cost a little more. Just get hyd, you will be happier.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
More advice

Now that I've replied to the wrong question, I'll point you towards another thread in this forum that has to do with reliability. There is a thread which has a poll on the reliability of hydraulic vs mechanical disc brakes. Read this along with the FAQ section on discs. Again, the choice becomes one of preference, with advocates on both sides being very passionate about their choice. I only have experience with mechanical discs on bikes, and so far, that experience has been very good. If you go this route, your best choice by far, and this is a consensus opinion, not just mine, is the Avid BB7, hands down. If you go hydraulic, there appears to be a great disparity regarding peoples experiences and preferences. Just be sure that you choose a hydraulic brake that has a better than average reputation.

Again, best wishes in your selection. Make sure it's money well spent.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure I'm going with the hydraulic - will check out the chicks forum - thanks for the advice

·
Banned
226 Posts
shellvan said:
Pretty sure I'm going with the hydraulic - will check out the chicks forum - thanks for the advice

I think you will be happier with them. Are you planning to do some downhill up there? If your short on cash the Avids will work well, but I have some and use them fine, but always think of swapping them out, they just don't have the stopping power that hyd do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts