Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Leo. I'm new to mountain biking and to MTBR also. I just moved to Providence a couple months ago and decided to pick up mountain biking recently. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to ride?

I know didly about the sport, I just bought a bike tonight from Craigslist and I want to just go and do it until I no longer suck and am in better shape.

Any and all suggestions welcome,

Leo

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are many places to ride in RI. Try the NEMBA website for trails and the RINEMBA website for organized rides for novices. This website and the Bikerag website have a long list of trails in RI too.

If you are just starting also look at the East Bay Bike Path as an option for getting back into shape. The Airline rail trail west of Providence is another flat option wth more challenge on the unpaved portions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Air Line Trail is called the Trestle Trail in RI and I apologize for the confusion. I live on the CT/RI border and mix terms.

Trestle Trail Data

Length: 10 miles unpaved

Grade: Flat, slight gain in elevation going east to west.

Trail condition: Fair to poor. Soft sand in places, some bridges closed, humps on trail from illegal ATV and dirt bike use. Passable only with mountain bike or on foot. New bike path and equestrian path to start construction in 2006.

Special characteristics: This path is a continuation of Washington Secondary line, built in 1840, to connect Providence with New York. It connects to finished section of Coventry Greenway and runs west to the Connecticut border. Plans are in the works to pave most of it, save the last few miles near the state line which will be graded with a durable, compacted surface. Trail departs far from main roads at times; a great sense of being in the middle of the wilderness.

Natural attractions nearby: Boating and fishing in Stump Pond, Johnson's Pond and Carbuncle Pond,
hiking and bird watching in Nicholas Farm Management Area, scenic vistas from elevated sections of path and
trestles. Large nature refuge a couple of miles north on Route 102 (Parker Woodland) for rugged hiking.

Historical attractions nearby: Small villages, historic homes, Read Schoolhouse (one-room schoolhouse).

Services nearby: General store, pizza restuarant, breakfast restaurant, schools, library.

Directions: From Route 95, take Exit 10 to Rte. 117 west. Follow about eight miles to a left onto Hill Farm/Phillips Hill Road. Small dirt parking area on right, just after pizza restaurant.

Additional parking information: Alternative parking another 3-4 miles west on Rte. 117 at Western Coventry School. Ride east on Rte. 117 to Camp Westwood Road or west on Rte. 117 through Rte. 102 intersection (be careful!) to left into Summit village. Parking also at Carbuncle Pond, Rte. 117 west to Rte. 14 west, about 2 miles before border. Follow dirt trails south to path. New parking lots will be built as part of new bike path project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.