Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Richard. I am a 31 year old guy from the high desert in southern california. I am 6ft and needing to lose a few lbs. =) I am 279lbs and have a very large body frame so I look less heavy than I am.

One a recent vacation I had rode a bike on the Hiawatha trail in Montana / Idaho and decided that biking was for me so I went up town and picked up a mountain bike by KHS.

This morning after my 3rd day total riding (I have been riding every morning since I got my bike) I find that I was disappointed in my performance. Its not that I was winded or feeling weak in my chest, it was simply that my quads burnt and had no power. Today I had to take many breaks (about 30 sec to 1 minute) to quell the leg pain. When I would stop my legs felt shaky.

Since I have started riding I even eat better, I have two boiled eggs and a small amount of tuna before I ride. I have had no beer or sodas, and have only one powerade zero and a large ice water on my ride. I drink water all day long.

Before I began riding I have had very little physical activity in the form of exercise for the last 13 years aside from the occasional hike at a medium pace.

I am worried tomorrow morning I won't be able to ascend the hill to my house. The sand and dirt make it tough to begin with, but I committed myself to ride everyday hardcore, and I have since I started.

Basically I wanted to lay out the situation and seek advice from other bikers on how I can improve. I really love riding my bike aside from the leg pain and my butt hurting from the seat LOL!

Richard

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just keep riding. You don't have to do more each and every time out. Take a day off to let your muscles heal and recover.

·
Administrator
10,677 Posts
There are 2 things you can do:

1. Obviously just ride more, it will take time and you will need to make sure that you are stretching and taking breaks between rides for recovery.

2. Make sure you are changing your riding position while you ride: you should be sitting and spinning an easy gear, then shift up and push a larger gear, then stand and push a larger gear and not in that order. Changing up your gear ratio and position on the bike will fire muscles in different ways allowing you to relax some muscles while using others.

There is nothing wrong with taking breaks either. Break your ride into sequences where you ride a determined distance or to a landmark, then stop get off your bike, stretch your quads and hamstrings, calves and back, have a drink of water then go to the next destination and repeat. Over time your distances will increase and your flexibility will improve.

You probably aren't suffering from lack of nutrition on the ride so your food intake seems good, it just takes awhile for muscle strength and memory to build. Keep at it and enjoy.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Hi! My name is Richard. I am a 31 year old guy from the high desert in southern california. I am 6ft and needing to lose a few lbs. =) I am 279lbs and have a very large body frame so I look less heavy than I am.

One a recent vacation I had rode a bike on the Hiawatha trail in Montana / Idaho and decided that biking was for me so I went up town and picked up a mountain bike by KHS.

This morning after my 3rd day total riding (I have been riding every morning since I got my bike) I find that I was disappointed in my performance. Its not that I was winded or feeling weak in my chest, it was simply that my quads burnt and had no power. Today I had to take many breaks (about 30 sec to 1 minute) to quell the leg pain. When I would stop my legs felt shaky.

Since I have started riding I even eat better, I have two boiled eggs and a small amount of tuna before I ride. I have had no beer or sodas, and have only one powerade zero and a large ice water on my ride. I drink water all day long.

Before I began riding I have had very little physical activity in the form of exercise for the last 13 years aside from the occasional hike at a medium pace.

I am worried tomorrow morning I won't be able to ascend the hill to my house. The sand and dirt make it tough to begin with, but I committed myself to ride everyday hardcore, and I have since I started.

Basically I wanted to lay out the situation and seek advice from other bikers on how I can improve. I really love riding my bike aside from the leg pain and my butt hurting from the seat LOL!

Richard
Go easy to start looks like you have two days then a rest day....even after years a rest day once every 7 days is pretty much required....

Get your butt measured....or a least make sure your sit bones are hitting the saddle in the right place...

Increase volume at about 10 % per week...

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
all good advice above ^ (IMO)

and just so ya know (in case you haven't figured it out)...mountain biking is really freakin' hard when you first start.

you'll have about 2 months of 'URGH-I-SUCK' attitude....then it all starts coming together.

stick with it!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
A few comments.

You're stressing muscles in new ways. Soreness is normal. Don't overdo it at first.

Eat protein after you ride, not before. The protein will aid muscle recovery and rebuilding. Prior to riding eat complex carbs. These make glucose available to your muscles during the ride. Energy gels right before and during the ride can supply these during the ride.

Make sure your saddle height is correct. A generally accepted stating point is to have the saddle set so that your leg is straight when your heel is on the pedal and the pedal is at 6 o'clock. When the ball of you foot is on the pedal, it will be slightly bent. This is best for power and knee friendliness. When descending or on technical terrain, lowering the saddle will give you a lower center of balance and get it out of your way as you move around the bike to maintain balance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This happens to me when my seat is too low or if my tires are low on air. Have you tried adjusting your seating position to see if it helps?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't do it hardcore everyday. Give yourself some rest. If you just have to ride everyday then take an easy ride every couple of days or so. Just a real easy spin, nothing strenuous. You have to let your muscles recover.

It sounds like your pre ride meal is mostly protein. Get a few carbs in there for long lasting energy. Yeah I know you're trying to drop weight but a few won't hurt. Hydrate well. A sports drink with electrolytes might help your legs as well.

Most importantly, have a ton of fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you are bonking. Take Clif gel or something similar with you when you ride. Those gels help me out a lot when I am running on empty ;)

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
Everything that could be said essentially has been said. Just have to give you props for getting into it and eating better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

Rockcrusher: Stretching is a good idea, also an idea I haven't used at all! After my rest day tomorrow I will make sure I get stretching in before and during the ride.

Jeffscott: I will go in and get my butt measured. I have the stock seat that came on my bike and it seems to be padded, but I'll have to look at what kind of options are out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gasp4air: I will try your method on seat adjustment. When I was fitted at the store they didn't mention in the detail you did for seat height. I will look through the nutrition section and find out what I need to add to my shopping list for my pre-ride meal. I think I will stick to the boiled egg and tuna after, I love both of those flavors.

Queevil: I will try the carbs.

K.Olsen: I will look into the various gels.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Richard

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Make sure you are using a low gear, keep your cadence up. Common mistake for newbies to try to push a hard gear.

Also, how long are your rides? Nutrition and bonking isn't such a big worry unless you're going at least hour or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Spsoon: My first ride was 52 min. Second ride (Yesterday) was 1h 32 min . Today was 39 mins. My legs were just dead. I had to come home way earlier. I thought I could go 2 hours today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I use the My Tracks by Google on my old school android phone. Anyone have experience on how accurate it is in terms of the Min/ Max grade during your ride?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Gasp4air: I will try your method on seat adjustment. When I was fitted at the store they didn't mention in the detail you did for seat height. I will look through the nutrition section and find out what I need to add to my shopping list for my pre-ride meal. I think I will stick to the boiled egg and tuna after, I love both of those flavors.
Great! Remember, it's a starting point. Don't be afraid to tweak things til you find what works best for you. Remember also that when the trail gets rough and/or point downhill, lowering the saddle is a good idea.

Also, while switching to carbs before the ride, eat an hour or two before, so the food isn't still in your stomach when you start pedaling. Easy to digest gels and snacks are ok during the ride.

Good on you for working that body! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dude you ride too much. You have to build up to ride everyday. I know it sucks but you need to take days off. I have had the same issue before. You know you need to stay off the bike but the trail just keeps calling.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts