Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rider here in San Jose, I just moved here from Atlanta. So I am looking for the best trails to ride within an hours drive from San Jose. The best riding in Atlanta was about an hour so looking so looking to stay around the same distance for now.

Let me know what you would recommend. I am thinking of heading out to Fremont Older just for a shake down ride.

RA

·
Paper or plastic?
10,126 Posts
Soquel demo forest

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Trail Blazer
310 Posts
+1 Soquel Demonstration Forest. A buddy and I are meeting up at the parking lot on Highland Way tomorrow Sunday at 9:30am. All are welcome.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
You can get to lots of good riding in less than an hour.
Demo
Santa teresa
Henry coe (hunting hollow entrance)
Henry coe (head quarters entrance)
Skeggs
Saratoga gap
Fort ord

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
All of the above plus, Stevens canyon trail is a fun one with lots of options.
Somebody warn OP about Midpen radar rangers and their usual hiding spots.

Concept unknown in the rest of the country, from what I hear.

·
Registered
341 Posts
$400 speeding fines for mountain bikes.
OP-

MidPeninsula Open Space (MidPen) manages a lot of the land in the Bay Area. They have been long known for their perceived "anti-bike" stance. The rangers can often be found driving their 4,000lb behemoth trucks up the trails so they can park and hide in wait for a speeding mountain biker and clock them with their battery powered Radar guns. The posted speed limit on all of their trails is 15MPH and it is up to you to know if you are speeding or not. I got popped doing 21MPH, the ticket, at the time, was $290, but I had my day in court, fought it, and won. The ticket gets processed through traffic court and the fines are roughly equal to a moving violation in your car. $400 is not an exaggeration so be careful. Helmet use is also required on MidPen trails and the ticket used to be $190 around 10 years ago, when I got one, but I believe it is more now. I ride Jones trail in Los Gatos frequently as my after-work ride and they are up there a lot. I also see them with Radar periodically at Saratoga Gap and the connector trails. I have only ridden Skeggs a couple of times so I can't comment on how frequently they patrol there. Soquel Demo is your safe-haven for fun MTB without concern about MidPen. It is also the most fun locally if you are looking for a good mix of climbing and single-track.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The answer to all Mid-Pen crap is "Henry Coe". Huge, open 24/7 and no radar.

Many Santa Clara County residents will get to vote later this year on giving them $300M more in cash, without details (only "priorities") on how it will be spent. I think like a Venture Capitalist: give them a little at a time on a tight budget and require specific results. Sorry for the OT rant. I feel better now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts