Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im a new rider and i want to pick up some more gear to make my riding more enjoyable...

first off i am planning on getting clipless pedals and shoes, i noticed on bumpy trials if your weight isnt all on the tire it is easy for your feet to pop off the pedals which i find to be annoying and a bit dangerous....this is what ive been thinking about getting...

pedals...
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19238
shoes..
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=16325

Next i was curious...do i want a pair of lycra or mountain shorts? i am kind of leaning toward the lyrca. i am comfortable wearing something like that, due to the fact i am used to wearing my hockey set up for my cup and socks...lol...and i was wondering waht the pros and cons are wearing a tight jersey versus a more loose one....personally i dont have a problem either way....

these looked like a good deal...

shorts...
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=20335

jersey...
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=22010

i figured these item were all good deals and it would be easy to get it all from the same place in one order....thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
with the pedals just make sure the cleats are adjusted for a very easy clip out. the CBs are good for that. wear what you want. i would reccommend rifding in a park or something flat to feel the clip out before doing any tech stuff. just have fun..and buy a camelbak and tools, those will make the ride enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Great pedal and shoes selections. Pedals might be one place to put more money in since pedals seem to last forever. I have a pair of Shimano 747’s that I bought in 1998 (top of the line then) and still going today. If you buy a higher end pedal, you can at least know they will last a long time and don't have to upgrade later. The pedal you chose is great though.

As far as shorts, I like lycra. Sometimes I don’t like being the only one in lycra, so I sometimes wear a shell over it; just some Quick Silver surfer shorts I bought for 10 bucks. They look exactly like the cycling baggies!!! Plus some of the baggies come with really crappy chamois connected to it. I think lycra shorts gives a better chamois for the money. You have to spend a lot of money (~$100) to get a descent chamois on a baggy. I think shorts are another good place to put money in since they have so much to do with your ride. But you can buy cheap initially since you’ll be going through lots of shorts anyways over the years. I still use my cheap shorts I bought six years ago. When all my other shorts are dirty, they still do the job.

Jerseys, I like tighter jerseys. The pockets in the back are more useful, and they wick better. I have one baggy jersey and it’s the last jersey I reach for in my drawer. It’s just so un-functional; but it looks cool!!!! When I started riding I just used thin T-shirts and cut off the sleeves; lycra is so much better. I like the jersey you chose, nice stuff.

Also, might as well get a three pack of the performance kevlar cycling socks.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Good selection of pedals and shoes, good prices and great rep. As for baggies vs lycra it's a personal thing - lycra won't get snagged on the seat, branches etc to easy compared to baggies or blow in the wind and bunch up, BUT lycra won't give you the same protection as baggies (being they have 2 layers) when you fall etc. Personally I love my MTB baggies w/ built in liners for all MTB riding, I only like lycra for road riding where the baggie shell gets in the ways and bucnhes up under you from the wind.

Jersey's I wear both XC/Road type and DH/FR type, once again personal preference. I prefer the looser fit and longer sleeves of the DH/FR type when riding really tigh tech trails and it gives a bit more protection from branches etc, but that's about as far as that goes. I WON'T wear the super tight road jerseys, too damn tight, need something a bit loose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thank you very much for all your input!!

one other thing i wanted to ask...im a size 12 shoe...atlast in nike and new balance....i was wondering if i should go with a 46 or a 47 sidi shoe...personally i am leaning a bit toward the 46 because i can get that in all black, but really it doesnt matter that much...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Actually Luke, SIDI has a very good sizing chart you can download and print. It's very accurate so go by what it tells you. Don't think the style you've picked comes available in the various widths, but if it does the sizing chart has a place to measure for that aswell and you better damn well take note of it or end up w/ a pair of shoes that's too big - like I did going for the normal width instead of the narrow like it suggested.

LukeC55 said:
thank you very much for all your input!!

one other thing i wanted to ask...im a size 12 shoe...atlast in nike and new balance....i was wondering if i should go with a 46 or a 47 sidi shoe...personally i am leaning a bit toward the 46 because i can get that in all black, but really it doesnt matter that much...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
ok, ill look at it, i actually have a bit of a wider foot, thats why i was attracted to the sidis....gonna go look at the sizing chart

*edit...
alright i just measured up...my foot unded up going right to the 46 line...does that mean this would be too small or just right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After visiting my lbs for a tune up, i asked about a clipless set up. I ended up going with a pair of AXO terras and shimano clipless pedal. I am glad i went with a shimano clipless pedal instead of a crank bros because the shimano allows me more adjustments than an egg beater or candy. I am liking it a lot so far! It is really easy to get in and out once you get the hang of it! Hopefully you guys all think i made a good decision here, because i feel i did! I feel i learned a lot more going through a bike shop rather than going through and online store.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Cycling Socks

nstearns said:
Do those socks or socks like it may a significant difference while riding? Or a difference at all?
I guess you'll never know until you actually use a pair. Once you use a pair, you'll never go back to cotton.

Cotton gets wet (from sweating or water crossings), will never get dry during a ride, and have pretty inconsistent thicknesses.

(being really picky here): if cotton is real thick, you actually have some inefficiency within the bottom of your foot and pedal.

I recommended the performance socks because they are a great bang for the buck. Bought 3 sets in 1998 for 8 bucks and they lasted to about 2004. I bought another three and they haven't been quite as good; already have holes on the toe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.