Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a 2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite since May - have put over 500 miles on her since then. Have fallen in love with the sport. The other day I took a Santa Cruz Hightower C for a ride and my mind was...blown.

I'm 5'10" (6'1" on Tinder), 190lbs. I live in Charlotte, so I do almost all of my riding at the US National Whitewater Center. I am more into climbing and longer rides (25-35 miles at this point) much more-so than I'm into anything downhill.

My budget is max $3500. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
epic evo is a sharp handling rocket bike w fantastic geometry. large.

new top fuel is going to be awesome but heavier

sc bikes are over priced imo.

cannondale scalpel

canyon lux trail. best bang for the buck!

canyon neuron for a bit more average trail discipline.

compare on 99 spokes website

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

cannondale scalpel

cannondale scalpel

Thank you for these suggestions!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I've been on a 2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite since May - have put over 500 miles on her since then. Have fallen in love with the sport. The other day I took a Santa Cruz Hightower C for a ride and my mind was...blown.

I'm 5'10" (6'1" on Tinder), 190lbs. I live in Charlotte, so I do almost all of my riding at the US National Whitewater Center. I am more into climbing and longer rides (25-35 miles at this point) much more-so than I'm into anything downhill.

My budget is max $3500. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Welcome.

Delay gratification and try lots of stuff. Rentals and paid demos often let you apply some of that towards a purchase. Look for shops near you that support the trail building and community stuff. Very often they're the best shops in addition to the community stuff they do.

IMO most well known products are good these days. You get diminishing returns as you spend, and my opinion is wheels, frame and fork are more important than the shifting components. Your budget should include or know OEM seats are not always comfy. Consider getting a spare derailleur hanger with the new bike.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,937 Posts
If you want to enjoy the downhills as much as you enjoy the climbs, then I recommend you consider a trail bike rather than an XC bike.
Trail bikes are more "do anything" bikes whereas lightweight XC bikes suffer deficiencies in order to save weight.
If you're going racing, then by all means buy the bike with narrow rims & tires, minimal travel, twitchier geometry -- this describes an XC bike in comparison to a trail bike.
Obviously you can tell by the things I'm saying that I believe trail bikes are more fun than XC bikes. This comes from decades of riding and racing both.
But if your priorities lean in one direction or the other, then by all means go that way.
=sParty

·
Formerly of Kent
14,154 Posts
If you want to enjoy the downhills as much as you enjoy the climbs, then I recommend you consider a trail bike rather than an XC bike.
Trail bikes are more "do anything" bikes whereas lightweight XC bikes suffer deficiencies in order to save weight.
If you're going racing, then by all means buy the bike with narrow rims & tires, minimal travel, twitchier geometry -- this describes an XC bike in comparison to a trail bike.
Obviously you can tell by the things I'm saying that I believe trail bikes are more fun than XC bikes. This comes from decades of riding and racing both.
But if your priorities lean in one direction or the other, then by all means go that way.
=sParty
I think your definitions are stuck in like 2015.

My 23lb XC bike has a 66.5 degree HTA, wide bars, 30mm internal rims, 2.4" tires and is usually the fastest bike in my local trail system, up or down, on any given day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,937 Posts
I think your definitions are stuck in like 2015.
Yeah well, ya know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

My 23lb XC bike has a 66.5 degree HTA, wide bars, 30mm internal rims, 2.4" tires and is usually the fastest bike in my local trail system, up or down, on any given day.
66.5° = steep. 2.4" tires = skinny. How wide is "wide"? How much travel? Photos or I don't believe you anyway. Please include photos of the scale readout.

Oh, and is your 23# bike within the OP's new bike budget?
=sParty

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Based on your stats, you're quasi-clyde'ish...

I'd be staying off XC bikes if I were you.

A solid trail bike will allow you to climb all day and encourage you to let out your inner 8 year old and bomb down those descents.

I love me some short travel 29er trail bike action.

I use to own a Transition Bandit 29 that was pretty good in most terrain.

Wheelbase was a little lean and bb was a little lofty.

But, I rode the snot out of it until the rear triangle started cracking (Transition short coming).

My latest short travel steed is a Banshee Phantom V3.

You'd need a rocket launcher to crack the rear end of this steed.

It's comfortable on the climbs and a beast on the downs.

FYI - I'm a 6ft, 240lb Clyde... I'll never be able to climb as fast as I want... Unless I drop 50lb's perhaps (that ain't gonna happen, big bones and all).

My Phantom V3 was frame only purchase and I shifted parts over from a bike on the way out.

Any bike from the above YouTube video would make a great bike to ride.

So, many good bikes out there at the moment.

Recommending just one, would be self serving.

But, I can say with hand on heart... the Phantom V3 is one of the best bikes I've owned to date!!

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think a Ripley AF Deore build would be perfect for the riding you mention in your budget. Short 120/130 travel build is playful and is a good pedaling platform. Modern geometry to help with downhill confidence and climbing. A Polygon Siskiu T8 wouldn't be bad at $2.5k as a good starting point. Spend the remainder of the budget on a good wheelset and better brakes. Looks like preorders on the Large size T8 are estimated shipping Oct 25th right now. Both were in Pinkbike's value bike field test from earlier in the year and were the two favorites from the field test.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Take a look at polygon sisku T8 and N9. Those are cheaper than your budget but would leave you with some money in hand for nest things like getting saddle, pedals, grips of own liking. you can even look at upgrading suspension (new takes off) though they come with fox 34 rythm and fox 36 performance respectively. Drivetrain is SLX and XT so no upgrades would be needed there imo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.