Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Thanks for looking in. I've been a road cyclist for years now and been eyeing mountain biking since moving to colorado 4 years ago. I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and came across this craiglist deal the other day. I've read great things about the TB3, in particular the do it all capabilities when paired with 29er and 27.5+ wheels. I know the hubs aren't desirable but can anybody comment on the setup and price?

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Jeff

https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d/lafayette-santa-cruz-tallboy-29er/6903285328.html

·
CEO Product Failure
2,080 Posts
The frame does not appear to be a CC, Complete Carbon. Still a great bike but better deal if it was all carbon fiber-the rear triangle on this bike looks like aluminum.

That being said, my wife has a TB3 CC. SHE LOVES IT. I test rode a TB4(?) when the SantaCruz team was in town. Suffice to say, its the nicest bike I've ever ridden in my life. I am planning to purchase a TB4 in the next few months.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ it's an all aluminum frame. In recent history, SC hasn't made hybrid aluminum/carbon frames (Tallboys, anyway). Their C frame is all carbon. Their CC frame is all high-end carbon.

I'll add that I have a C Tallboy. I wanted to get an aluminum one but it wasn't available under the program I was part of. IMO, aluminum is a great material for FS mtbs; a little bit more weight, all of the performance, and none of the angst.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
That's a solid build, all around. As long as there is still life in the drivetrain, the hubs aren't crunchy, and it fits you properly... I think it's a good buy. Probably close to a 6K build, new.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Looks like a great bike with solid components for $2500. I'm 6'4" and if I was in the market for a new bike I would check it out and make an offer!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not sure how you figure that. The frame and factory fork alone is right at 3K.
I figure it based on the price of the factory Al R build (currently $3400 and little changed since introduction) Currently the Aluminum R has a lower end NX drivetrain, but NX wasn't around when the TB3 was introduced, and the R had a GX level drivetrain with the XG1150 11-speed cassette. This is right around the same level as the XT equipped bike shown. The only significant difference is the Factory 34 fork on the bike for sale vs 34 Rhythm fork on the R build from Santa Cruz. Fair to add a few hundred bucks for that, but I'd still call it mid-3's.

I'm sure if you purchased each component individually you could make the bike cost more, but since a similarly spec'd full bike sold new for the mid-3's then that's the relevant price when figuring what the used bike is worth. You can decide for yourself if $2500 is a fair price for a 2 year old bike that was $3xxx new.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I figure it based on the price of the factory Al R build (currently $3400 and little changed since introduction) Currently the Aluminum R has a lower end NX drivetrain, but NX wasn't around when the TB3 was introduced, and the R had a GX level drivetrain with the XG1150 11-speed cassette. This is right around the same level as the XT equipped bike shown. The only significant difference is the Factory 34 fork on the bike for sale vs 34 Rhythm fork on the R build from Santa Cruz. Fair to add a few hundred bucks for that, but I'd still call it mid-3's.

I'm sure if you purchased each component individually you could make the bike cost more, but since a similarly spec'd full bike sold new for the mid-3's then that's the relevant price when figuring what the used bike is worth. You can decide for yourself if $2500 is a fair price for a 2 year old bike that was $3xxx new.
Seriously flawed comparison and conclusion, but I won't bother you with why.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help! Ended up buying the bike at asking price. It was pristine condition with two wheel-sets (29 and 27.5), which I'm pretty stoked about for the price. Definitely downsides to buying used as you all noted, but as a newbie seemed like a good value for a decent bike to get my feet wet but still have some room to grow. Thanks again for the help!

·
the beat goes on
284 Posts
congrats. you got a good deal. i have a 2018 TB which i believe is pretty much the same geo-wise as the 2017. paid a little more new than you did but i got nx drivetrain and sram brakes. will eventually change to shimano. i predict you will like 29er better - just imo.

nice bike!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Thanks for all the help! Ended up buying the bike at asking price. It was pristine condition with two wheel-sets (29 and 27.5), which I'm pretty stoked about for the price. Definitely downsides to buying used as you all noted, but as a newbie seemed like a good value for a decent bike to get my feet wet but still have some room to grow. Thanks again for the help!
No way man. You bought a lot of people's dream bike with a stellar build spec. With 2 wheel sets, I think you got a really great deal!

The only downside is you don't have a frame defect warranty, but SC can be cool about replacement costs for used buyers if there is a defect. If anyone wrecks and cracks a frame, they also don't get a warranty, but replacement cost. You'd have to replace a front or rear triangle. Not the end of the world cost wise, especially considering the savings you got on that custom build.

I really like the plus wheels... just a different flavor of fun.

SC website will have a lot of info for you to read. Flip chip, shock set up, torque specs, etc. Happy trails.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.