Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need a little help with a new low travel freeride,downhill,and dirtjumping bike.I weight 115lbs at 5'5.I am an agressive rider, but dont go huge.I like the to real fast and progress as much as i can.I have decided on the Frame,Fork,Brakes,and Crankset, but i need some opinions on other parts.(mainly the drivetrain,hubs,rims,and shifters).Please feel free, to tell me if any of these parts should be swapped for a different part.

Frame-Transition-Preston FR
Rear Shock-Romic-Double Adjust
Fork-Marzocchi-66RC(150mm)
Brakes-Magura-Louise FR
Crankset -Truvativ Holzfeller
Changuide -Heim
BB-Truvativ Gigapipe Team DH
Pedals-FUNN-Soljam Viper
Cassette -Shimano-Saint
Rear Changer-Shimano-Saint
Front Changer-Shimano-Saint
Shifters-Shimano-Hone
Headset-Chris King-NoThreadSet
Stem-Answer-ATAC Pro
Handlebars-Answer-Protaper OS
Grips-ODI-Ruffian Lock On
Seatpost-Thomson-Elite
Saddle-FUNN-Launch Pad
Front Hub-Shimano-Saint
Rear Hub-Shimano-Hone
Rims-Mavic-EX 823 UST 26"
Spokes-Go Ride
Tires-Maxxis Minion F 26"x2.5"

Thanks for all your help!-i really need it

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
why would youonly get 1 saint hub and saint derailleurs? you missed all the best parts of the saint group. i.e. rear hub and cranks....brakes are pretty solid too. i got full saint on my bike and those are the biggest differnce i can tell so far and i have holzfellers(cant notice that big of a differnce) and a XT rear hub (nicer then hone) on my STP. just my 2 cents. i guess cause your a light weight you dont need a whole lot though.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
depierre said:
Hey guys, I need a little help with a new low travel freeride,downhill,and dirtjumping bike.I weight 115lbs at 5'5.I am an agressive rider, but dont go huge.I like the to real fast and progress as much as i can.I have decided on the Frame,Fork,Brakes,and Crankset, but i need some opinions on other parts.(mainly the drivetrain,hubs,rims,and shifters).Please feel free, to tell me if any of these parts should be swapped for a different part.

Brakes-Magura-Louise FR
Changuide -Heim
Pedals-FUNN-Soljam Viper
Cassette -Shimano-Saint
Shifters-Shimano-Hone
Stem-Answer-ATAC Pro
Seatpost-Thomson-Elite
Saddle-FUNN-Launch Pad
Front Hub-Shimano-Saint
Rear Hub-Shimano-Hone

Spokes-Go Ride

Thanks for all your help!-i really need it
get don't go hone on anything...

why would you miss out on some of the best parts of saint (ie rear hub, cranks, brakes, etc..)?

and for the hubs, don't skimp (ESPECIALLY FOR THE REAR)... go full saint or hadley/ck...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok,i need to save some money somwhere and why not is be on the cranks?i do not need saint at my weight. holzfellers are more than strong enough.maybe ill go used on the cranks and hub?(any opinion on this) to save some money.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
Brakes-Magura-Louise FR
Changuide -Heim
Pedals-FUNN-Soljam Viper
Cassette -Shimano-Saint

Shifters-Shimano-Hone
Stem-Answer-ATAC Pro
Seatpost-Thomson-Elite
Saddle-FUNN-Launch Pad
Front Hub-Shimano-Saint
Rear Hub-Shimano-Hone
Spokes-Go Ride

save money on those. rear derailleur doesnt matter that much. put a hone on it if you want. front deraileur really doesnt matter. i got an alivio ill give ya for 15 bucks haha. just get stuff set up so it works well. as ive mentioned JB before my deore works great, its just amatter of how good you can set it up. head set, king's are damn nice but not necisary, FSA pig, just as strong and only like 40 bucks. seat post, why in the world would you need a thompson seat post on a DH/FR bike? granted i want one but just for the gucci value. luckly for me they dont make one in my size... :rolleyes: but a 25 dollar kalloy one works justa s good. and just get a cheapo front hub at first.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would take a look at the brakes as well, do you really need Magura-Louise FR or will Hayes HFX 9's with 8 inch rotors do the job. This is just my opinon, when I build a bike I don't build it for Bling Bling I build it for what is the best value and what all I really need.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I would go with an itergrated bottom bracket if at all posible. Either saint or Race Face. You could also look into your drivetrain components. You may be able to same some money by going SRAM over shimano. The SRAM shifters and read derailleurs are pretty nice too. FSA Pig is a good bet too.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
depierre said:
ok,i need to save some money somwhere and why not is be on the cranks?i do not need saint at my weight. holzfellers are more than strong enough.maybe ill go used on the cranks and hub?(any opinion on this) to save some money.
savings..here you go....FSA Pig for your head set...I would get hayes brakes, Sram X9 with an X9 shifter...I would scrape all the saint stuff...you don't need it for your weight. OH yeah Hadleys, but a cheap one would be just as fine for your riding weight and style of riding. You have too burly of stuff for your weight...don't blow your money on the Saints

EX823's you can get by on 32 spoke instead of 36 spoke...whichever was the cheaper hub

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.