Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New ride. Scott spark 750 review

Still riding my vintage c dale super v but was time for a new trail shredding machine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Took the spark out over weekend and was extremely impressed. 650 wheels are a sweet spot for me. Just big enough for rollover clearance and small enough to slice the trail like a scalpel. The twin lock is just awesome with the Ctd fox shocks. The rear can be locked but the Ctd has a blow off if you hit something so still have benefit of the suspension. The front shock gets firmer but still dampening. The front shock on climb mode is not a lockout.

I rode in the middle setting , trail, for most of the ride until the sandy flats and climbs for the climb mode. Only used the decent mode once on a fast down hill and the suspension felt bottomless esp with 120mm travel unlike the 100mm travel on the 29er series.

If someone is looking for a well equipped, light, fun trail or xc bike, this is it!

Might go to a 1x10 setup, other than that this bike is perfect for me and the trails I ride.

The bike weighed in at under 29lbs with xt trail pedals.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My second choice was the norco sight carbon entry level but these bikes weighed the same and the spark was better equipped and priced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder if you considered the Giant Trance 27.5 3? It's not that well equipped as the Spark, but the main thing is that Giant has a 140mm travel. Giant is cheaper too, some room for upgrades.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Scott was the best priced, well equipped components and shocks, lightest non carbon I found. I also wanted 120mm travel and twin lock. I would have went genius if 140mm. The giant is a great option for the price. I did look at that and trek. Scott offered best package overall except for 5 year warranty.

I got the bike for 2240. Retail was 26xx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Scott was the best priced, well equipped components and shocks, lightest non carbon I found. I also wanted 120mm travel and twin lock. I would have went genius if 140mm. The giant is a great option for the price. I did look at that and trek. Scott offered best package overall except for 5 year warranty.

I got the bike for 2240. Retail was 26xx.
Thank you for your quick reply. That price says it all! I would definitely get the Spark for this price.
if I am in for a new bike, hopefully I can score a 650b as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your quick reply. That price says it all! I would definitely get the Spark for this price.
if I am in for a new bike, hopefully I can score a 650b as well.
Also there is a reason scott website and other sites have their Scott weight posted because they have one of the lightest carbon and alloy frames at the ideal pricepoints.

Mine was 29lbs even with xt trail pedals. Will shave a lb when I go with race face single front ring and ditch the shifter and front mech

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also there is a reason scott website and other sites have their Scott weight posted because they have one of the lightest carbon and alloy frames at the ideal pricepoints.

Mine was 29lbs even with xt trail pedals. Will shave a lb when I go with race face single front ring and ditch the shifter and front mech
I am glad I saw your post. I went and test the Spark 750 yesterday. I will most likely buy this bike this weekend, however the Genius 740 with the 150 travel is more appealing to me. The only issue is cost. Both bikes a very light compare to my 29er.
I am planning on ditching the front der. as well

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am glad I saw your post. I went and test the Spark 750 yesterday. I will most likely buy this bike this weekend, however the Genius 740 with the 150 travel is more appealing to me. The only issue is cost. Both bikes a very light compare to my 29er.
I am planning on ditching the front der. as well
Awesome. Glad you gave it a shot. The entry level genius was pricey but I was looking for more xc than all mountain suspension travel. 120 is perfect for nj trails. The suspension feels bottomless and the twin lock is just awesome. Using it more than I thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got the Spark 740. Love the bike to death. 28.4 pounds without pedals in XL (who cares, with 200 pounds of rider, water, and gear on board, 2+ pounds either way is a whopping 1% difference - reality check for weight weenies). The 27.5 wheel is a great compromise between 29" wheels, which are too big for any kind of technical trail, and the old 26" wheels. The twinloc feature is freaking brilliant and I could not imagine riding without it. Most of the time riding in trail setting and it is a great short-travel full suspension bike. When the trail is smooth enough on the flats and hills that you don't need any rear travel for grip, lock out the suspension on the fly, feel all your power transfer through the pedals, and enjoy shifting down a gear or two while you ride your buddies off the back of your wheel. As you ride towards your favorite hip jump on the trail, flick it over to full travel and the thing feels almost as good as my 5-Spot with a Romic coil shock when it helps launch you. It is literally like having three different bikes available at the mere flick of a switch. The Genius does have more travel, but its geometry is set up to be more of a downhill bike. The Genius is not going to handle a technical climb as well as the Spark. I would agree with Rev - I've dropped out of the sky plenty of times on my Spark without bottoming the suspension. If I were planning on using it to ride the chair lifts at bike parks, I might have picked the Genius over the Spark, but my 5 Spot already has that slot taken. I was looking for a trail bike to replace my 29'er hardtail and the Spark is that bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts