Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Canuckistan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally sort of finished my new AM ride. I still have to decide on brakes, part of me is thinking of the practical and maintainability aspect, yet the other is thinking of OMGLAZERSSSS, aka Hope brakes. From the practical aspect I'm thinking Avid Juicy 5's seeing as I have experience with them, and know they are a solid brake seeing as I ran em on my old rig for 2 years. The other part of me is thinking of Hope Moto V2, just because I know hope makes a good product. I have some older hope brakes on my orange patriot, and they have been very reliable.

So basically, Its a choice between the widely popular and easy to acquire parts for Avid Juicy 5's or the Hope Moto V2's which getting parts for in Canada is a bit tougher.

Any opinions would be great.

Attachments

·
Canuckistan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and the vitally important specs of the bike

Fork: Fox 36 Van R
Cranks: Raceface Evolve XC
Pedals: Crank brothers 5050
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow
Front derailleur : Shimano XT top swing
Hubs: Hope Pro II
Rims: Sun Single track 26"
Seat post: Raceface evolve XC
Bar/stem: Raceface evolve AM
grips: Odi Rouge
Front tire: Continental Speed King
Rear tire: Continental Vapor
Seat: Titec berserker
Brakes: to be determined

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,605 Posts
Mono M4s from 2005, still work like day one. It's a lot of "bling" for that bike, but they are the only disc system so far that has been rock solid for me. I had some older DH4s in the day and they were rock solid too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hope discs run thinner than most and if you brake a lot theyll overheat and start to bend. however, they are a top notch brake maker. juicy 5's are great, along with the juicy 7's. i love my hayes stroker trails, fantastic brake.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,605 Posts
GQOSE said:
Hope discs run thinner than most and if you brake a lot theyll overheat and start to bend. however, they are a top notch brake maker. juicy 5's are great, along with the juicy 7's. i love my hayes stroker trails, fantastic brake.
Ok, back to reality; The different types of hope disc brakes do have different rotor thickness, but I doubt for any given brake they are always "thinner". The real deal is that hope puts a lot more thought into each brake and puts a rotor with that brake that suits it, rather than just one-size fits all. The alunimum spider that comes on the rotors (the two-peice rotors or "floating" rotors that have been copied by most of the other brake manufacturers) keeps the disc from "bending" because it's pinned to the carrier and free to expand as it heats up, this is the whole reason for the two-peice rotors.

·
Canuckistan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, the reasoning behind floating rotors pretty much decides it right there. I had managed to warp my juicy 5's on a few hard stops, so if thats supposed to reduce the likely hood of it happening again, Im game for spending a bit of extra cash.

·
Registered
785 Posts
i've had great success with some shimano deore hydraulic discs....great power and modulation, good solid levers....crashed a bunch and never bent one.....i got mine for 150 a set on ebay...they show up a lot now and then...if you already have rotors, you can find a great deal....also, the deore's up to xtr brake systems are all interchangeable.....levers with calipers....mix and match what you want...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.