Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my new ride finished thrusday night and ridden for the first time today. I have been on a Raleigh XXIX singlespeed for the last two years and built this up as a geared race bike, to compliment the fun factor of the raleigh. So far this thing is like a rocket sled, I ran the raleigh with a 36/18 or 36/17 depending on the ride and that bike felt fast, but this thing flies through the woods. I averaged over 1mph faster on my normal loop today and Im still getting used to having gears, its' been 2002 since I rode a geared mtb!

Anyways here is the build

Medium niner air 9 frame
white bros rock solid fork
chris king headset
x.o. trigger rear and twist front shifer
x.o. rear der med cage
xtr traditional front der (soon to be top swing for better mounting)
truvativ noir crank with 32/44 gearing
xtr 11-32 cassette
xt disc brakes ( they work better than the xtr's imo)
xtr hubs dt supercomp spokes velocity vxc rims 32 h 3x
race face carbon bar and post with slr saddle
time atac pedals.
polar hr comp.

21.8 lbs as pictured

also I am loving the racing ralph as a front tire and may get one to replace the sb8 in the back,

anyways just wanted to show it off, i have to get some more rides on it for a better report.
but first impression is this thing is fast

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks the ritchey stem is an older pro model that came off a scott cr1 road bike 2007 model I think. I used it for sizing purposes on my raleigh and it never came off, now it's on the air 9, it's light and cost me next to nothing so I cant complain

·
Banned
960 Posts
perfection...hows thw quailty of the tru cranks compared to shimano,and how would you compare the R.R. speed wise to a crossmark or the sm.block 8

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the truvativ cranks are quite nice, I know few people on them and they really like them, plus they feel very stiff, I could have gone XTR but my shop discount was better on the Noir cranks and I like the bling appeal of them as well.

I always say I cant be pro but I can look pro (dumb I know but still bike are basically my life so why the hell not have fun)

Also I only have one ride on the RR up front, I love the way it corners so far and I like the width, Im running the 2.25 looks about as wide as the sb8 but has alot more volume. It looks like a fast back tire, and I think i will get one for the rear as soon as QBP gets more in stock, I feel lucky to have gotten one in the first place as they have been hard to get.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think first guy was mistaking the Rip for the Jet ...

... anyway, nice bike! I wonder how carbon forks compare to rigid steel ones (mine is steel and suspension corrected to 100mm). I don't think I'd change what I have for a weight redicution, but if I could get a bit more compliance that might be worth it.

What sort of trails do you normally ride? 36:18/17 seems mighty steep for a singlespeed. I'm riding 32:20 (but I'm puny) ... most of the people in my area (Toronto) are running between 32:20 and about 34:18.

That Kermit Green really does look awesome. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i live in traverse city mi, so it's mainly flat with hills that tend to be short and sweet. No extended climbing like out east or out west, plus we have alot of singletracks around here as well. Yeah 36/17 is a little steep for a 29er singlespeed, but i can gut it out on the climbs and the speed on the flats makes it worth while, when Im doing a bunch of singletrack then it's 36/18 which is a nice ratio for the trails, good climbing and good speed if you get a nice spin going.

If any of you have ridden the Iceman Cometh, those are some of the same trails im on all the time, mostly flat and fast imo

But that was the main reason for a geared bike, I was looking for more speed without having to walk up hills or kill myself to ride them on the singlespeed. Last night on the bike felt good, and I was able to average 15.8 mph on the open trails and two tracks. I have yet to get the thing into any real singletrack yet, thats for sundays ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.