Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking for a new hardtail to upgrade my fisher hartail to, and unfortunately Turner doesn't make one to match my Burner. So after considerable searching and thought, I ended up purchasing a Titus Riddler. Factors that lead me to the Riddler were Titus reputation, sizing, and the few reviews I could find. I will say that about halfway throught building the frame up, I got very frustrated because first, I had to have the headtube reamed and faced to get the headset to fit properly, and then I had to have the bottom bracket threads chased and the BB faced to get the BB to seat properly. For this nice of a frame, it should come with these items performed (I have not ever had to do this, even on the $225 Scattante Frame & Fork for my wife's bike).

So to the important part, the ride. When I put the bike together I was a little dissapointed as the bottom bracket seemed to flex more than my Fisher (I am a 225 pound clyde) when I pushed on it in the garage. All that didn't matter once I got out and actually rode the thing. The apparently flex in the bottom bracket does not show up at all when actually riding, even out of the saddle. The bike feels amazing. I took all the components from my fisher except the stem and fork (Fisher had a 2001 Sid XC). On square edge bumps where the fisher would give a harsh bang, the Titus feels like a soft tail giving a dampened thud. Small vibrations are gone. The bike also feels more stable descending and better balanced than my Fisher (this was a concern of mine as I really liked the Genesis Geometry on the Fisher). Frankly, I never thought a hardtail could ride this well, even a very flexy hardtail. Bottom line is I am in love and this frame will be around for a long time.

Finally, I have to give thanks to Chad at Red Barn Bicycles (who I found through this group) who gave me a great deal on the frame and fork, was patient with my numerous questions, and helped me through my frustration during assembly.

Specs on the Bike are:

Large Riddler Frame
Manitou Skareb Elite 80mm
Cane Creek S-2 Headset
Peformance CTR Carbon Riser Bars
Oury Grips
Titus 110mm Stem
Terry Fly TI Saddle
Sette Alloy Seatpost
Avid 1.9L Brake Levers
Avid 10 Brakes
Shimano STX 8 Speed Shifters
Shimano LX Front Der
Shimano LX Hollow Tech Cranks and ES-51 BB
Shimano XT Rear Der
Shimano XT 8 Speed Cassette
SRAM PC-59 Chain
Ritchey Comp V-3 Pedals
LX Hub/Sapiem Spoke/Velocity Rim wheelset (spinlitecycling)
WTB Nanorapter 2.1 Tires w/Specialized Airlock Tubes (well worth the 1/2 pound penalty)

As built weight approximately 25 pounds (I need to verify on the scale could be as light as 24).

And Finally the pictures.

Attachments

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
923 Posts
CDMC said:
Finally, I have to give thanks to Chad at Red Barn Bicycles (who I found through this group) who gave me a great deal on the frame and fork, was patient with my numerous questions, and helped me through my frustration during assembly.
Yep, Chad rocks! He was referred to me by a long-time and respected poster, Kman. In the end, Chad set me up on my new Ti Racer-X and I couldn't be happier! Price and service were incredible...highly recommended!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, weight came in at 24.75 pounds on the local shop scale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.