Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Resident Gear Head
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a little road trip today to demo some bikes. I got on a Remedy 8 and fell in love. It climbed like a tractor, gave me confidence descending and fit my 6'4" body just right. The suspension is great but I am coming from an entry level HT 29er so I don't have much to compare too. I was speachless when I got back to the shop. I told the shop employee the easiest way I can put it is the Remedy says "we should climb up a little higher, that way we get some more downhill". I know it sounds silly but that's the way it felt. I now know what it feels like to be "stoked" :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice bike! The demo I got on the 9.8 650b was fantastic, awesome bike for sure.
That bit is for the internally routed or "stealth" dropper post routing. You should see the other half of the down tube cable mounts have a bit of a notch to handle the cable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Resident Gear Head
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I edited my post because I checked the website and saw a better angle. I didn't realize that only certain posts are "stealth" and my Specialized Command Post Black Lite is not stealth ready, oh well. Can't wait to ride tomorrow after work :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Can you modify the command post to the new stuff and get the internal routing parts to work or is it a totally different part and not compatible, which I'd suspect anyhow.
Not that I'd necessarily bother even if it was possible, but just wondering.

What else were you planning to look at or test before you made up your mind on the remedy?

·
Resident Gear Head
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure on the command post but I probably wont mess with it. On paper I was looking at a $3000 budget. Kona Process, Trek Remedy, Santa Cruz Heckler, Yeti SB-75, and Ibis Mojo SL-R.

Before the demo the Trek and Kona were already at the top of the list and since I found out I could demo both in one day the other bikes fell further down the list. Rode the Kona first and a few things popped into my head being that it was my first time on 27.5 and full suspension.

I heard good things about the Kona and its playfulness but I felt like the bike only worked with you if you were sitting way back. If you got over the front end it wasn't happy. Secondly the Kona felt a bit twitchy and I wasn't impressed with the rockshox suspension. I know the suspension was not set up perfectly but on small pedaly whoops it would bounce around like a Cadillac. Rode about 14 miles total on the Kona and swapped it for the Remedy and I could tell right away it fit me much better than the Kona.

The Remedy felt like more of a climber, it also felt more comfortable, a bit more forward in the cockpit. The Fox suspension was a lot better than the rockshox and the CTD is really nice. I left both the front and rear in trail for a bit and flipped them to descent for a few sections. I like how the descent mode gives good plushy feel while the trail mode makes it climb like a hardtail but with a little bit of give so your teeth don't fall out. When I got to the downhill the deal was sealed.

The bike was fast, confident, and felt like it could hold its line much better than the Kona. The Kona wanted to wander and would jump around too easy but the Trek stayed solid.

I could see a more experienced rider liking the Kona for the playfulness and flickability I keep hearing about (however the rear end on the Kona felt incredibly heavy) but for me and my riding style the Trek was leaps and bounds ahead of the Kona. 100$ cheaper with a better componant spec was also a plus.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Resident Gear Head
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the Remedy out for a night ride in some stuff that was more chunky than what I rode for the demo and wow did it ride amazing. So comfy, just point and shoot downhill. The bike will go anywhere, its my confidence that holds it back hah

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at a variety of these too, the remedy does seem like a good bargain as well for the components and price.
Did you set it up tubeless as well?

·
Resident Gear Head
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Attempted today hah. I had a brain fart and confused the orange strip that is inside the tire now for a tubeless rim strip. It is actually just a strip to protect the tube. I went to the bike shop and got some Bontrager valves and sealant. Realizing my mistake when I got home I tried it with gorilla tape but no luck, it was leaking like crazy out of the valve. I believe these rims will only seal with a full Bontrager kit. I put the tubes back in for now and ordered the rim strips directly from Trek. I hope they arrive by next Friday. Oh and I also bonked my rim out of true in the process :madman:

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good luck.

I've put the Remedy at the top of my short list of new bikes.

Coming from a 26" Trance I still have to decide between 29" & 27.5" or 650b or whatever its called today. ;)

Have you had a chance to weight your new Remedy? I'm always curious what the actual weight is as opposed to what is published (if it is published at all).

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Bontrager rim strips make it really easy, I've had two sets and both are faultless. I got the xr3 non TLR tires seated with no sealant and a floor pump. The bead snaps into the seat very firmly.

·
Resident Gear Head
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not had a chance to weigh it yet. Might be going to the LBS today, if I take the bike Ill have them weigh it

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I have not had a chance to weigh it yet. Might be going to the LBS today, if I take the bike Ill have them weigh it

My 2014 29 Remedy 9 19" weighed in at 30.6 lbs bone stock with M540 pedals and some dried mud.
Looks like OP got the 650 size with AL frame. I'd really like to how much that weighs.

That weight seems good for AL 29r but the mid-size wheel is what interests me after my wife and I (same height) rode with my 26 and 29 rentals. I got the 29 traction advantage, they were improved over trying them years ago, but they didn't have the playful or ability to pump like my 26. Something between that, less than 30 pounds and not breaking the bank would be great.

Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts