Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Mtbr member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I love this bike.

If the frame would have cost $2000 and was made in the USA, I would have bought it last year.(one of my previous hangups) I was lucky to get this frame for $399 at Wheelworld. A great bargain, I couldn't pass up.

I only have three rides on the Reign, but it has exceeded my expectations by far. For a six inch travel bike, it peddles like a short travel bike, better than my Superlite. And the downhill is superb, almost as good as my Bullit.

Now for my questions, maybe someone else has had the same experience.

1)Why does my Minute 3 fork feel plush on the Reign and not my Ventana El Salt? Is it head angle? What is the head angle on the Reign with a 505mm A-C fork? The El Salt has a 70 degree head and the Minute 3 felt like a jack hammer on that bike. But, on the Reign, the fork feel great. It's firm on the flats and climbs, and on the DH it soaks everything up.

2) Can I use a triple clamp fork on the Reign?

3) Does anybody else have a lot of paint chipped underneath the right chainstay? (see pics) The pictures are taken after the second ride and after I put protective tape on. This looks excessive and I have never dropped the chain, but there are scratches next to the small chainring.

Thanks in advance

Pic

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm got a Revelation, with 508mm A-C measure, and I measured my HA at 68.5 degrees.

As far as the chipping under the chainstay - that's exactly where the chain slaps. Everyone's putting guards on the stay down toward the rear derailler - that's not gonna do anything to reduce the slap noise or protect the paint where it's really getting beaten up, which is right where you've shown. I've noticed this on both my Trance and Reign.

As for the chips next to the small ring - I can't even tell where they are on the frame - is the bike upside down?

·
Motion activated
3,242 Posts
Giant will not warrant the frame if you run a DC fork. Max you can go with a single crown is 6".

·
The Quimby!
366 Posts
G'day Pic-n-Sav :) ! It is good to see you are so happy with the Reign :thumbsup: ! I also have a few minor paint scratches on the bottom part of the chainstay towards the small chainring on my T2. As for the scratches and gouging between the side face of the small chainring and the shock basket, I have nothing like that on the T2. Must be some sort of chain suck issue?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As was mentioned, people think they need the chain guard along the chain-stay to the rear when in fact it's exactly where you have the scratching that you will get it if you use granny a lot.

As for the scratches next to the BB, that would come about complimenst of chain suck or maybe a wrench that wasn't to careful when they were dis-assembling the frames at Wheelworld - Did you check the frame carefully when you got it from them?

As for why the Minute 3 works like a dream on the Reign and not the Vantana, I can give an educated guess - the Reign is just better matched using the Manitou rear shock with the Minute up front, also the suspension design is prob better on the Reign :thumbsup: If you haven't messed with the settings then these are the only obvious conclusions you could make.

Enjoy your Reign, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, sell the Ventana :D Be happy :cornut:

·
Registered
870 Posts
huckaduck said:
actually you could put a marz 66 single crown on it @170mm
This is a grey area that will cause some confusion in the near future - it's not really about dual crown vs. single crown anymore - it will be all about the axle-to-crown length the bike was designed for.

Look at the new forks coming out from Rock Shox - the Totem, and Domain - these are 180mm travel single crown forks. So now you can get single and dual crown 170 and 180mm forks.

In the past, this was not an option, and the manufacturer could state "no dual crowns" knowing they were only avaliable as long travel forks.

As stated above, it looks like the Reign was designed around a 510-520mm a-to-c with a max. possible at 545-550mm, or a 5 to 6 inch travel fork.

·
In exile
542 Posts
deoreo said:
This is a grey area that will cause some confusion in the near future - it's not really about dual crown vs. single crown anymore - it will be all about the axle-to-crown length the bike was designed for.

Look at the new forks coming out from Rock Shox - the Totem, and Domain - these are 180mm travel single crown forks. So now you can get single and dual crown 170 and 180mm forks.

In the past, this was not an option, and the manufacturer could state "no dual crowns" knowing they were only avaliable as long travel forks.

As stated above, it looks like the Reign was designed around a 510-520mm a-to-c with a max. possible at 545-550mm, or a 5 to 6 inch travel fork.
Exactly - I would be terrified to rip the head tube off with anything longer than a 150 Marz. It's pretty slack even with a 150mm Z1 on it. I would say no way to a 66 or the long RS that are coming out next year. If you need that much fork, the Reign is most likely the wrong bike. I view it as a DH capable trail bike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
loco-****** said:
Exactly - I would be terrified to rip the head tube off with anything longer than a 150 Marz. It's pretty slack even with a 150mm Z1 on it. I would say no way to a 66 or the long RS that are coming out next year. If you need that much fork, the Reign is most likely the wrong bike. I view it as a DH capable trail bike.

Check your PM's biatch!

·
Motion activated
3,242 Posts
huckaduck said:
actually you could put a marz 66 single crown on it @170mm
I talked at length with Giant directly about using that exact fork. They said the most you could go is 6" (aprox 150mm) without voiding the warranty. You could always set the 66 SL at 150mm and take your chances with warranty.....

OTOH I tired a 2002 super-t on my Reign for a few weeks over winter, just to see how it would handle. BB was to high with that fork (555 a/c) IMHO.

I look my Reign to a winter park (somewhat lame DH resort) on the week-end and quickly started bottoming out the Pike 426 coil fork..... It's great for trail riding, but it would be nice to have something with some bottom out control and 10mm more travel. Maybe the new RS stuff...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Steve71 said:
I talked at length with Giant directly about using that exact fork. They said the most you could go is 6" (aprox 150mm) without voiding the warranty.
This is why I'm not making any changes to my Reign. I'm not usually one to do yearly upgrades, or anything like that, but damn! - if the production "Reign X" is like the prototype - 6.7" rear travel, and able to run a coil shock with piggyback - the kit on my current Reign (36VAN - 6.3" travel) will be perfect!!!

·
Mtbr member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again to everyone for their replies. It's good to hear from your experience.

The reason I asked about using a triple clamp fork, I want to know if I can sell the Bullit. I have been using the Bullit for Ski Resort riding with a Marz Junior T, thought I would try this on the Reign. Right now, I will keep the Bullit.

Deoreo said something interesting about A-C fork length. I want try a Marz AM 1 on the Reign, but set at 150mm travel it has a 538 mm A-C. This is 23mm longer than the ideal A-C of 515mm. Will this void warranty?

·
Motion activated
3,242 Posts
Pic-n-Sav said:
Deoreo said something interesting about A-C fork length. I want try a Marz AM 1 on the Reign, but set at 150mm travel it has a 538 mm A-C. This is 23mm longer than the ideal A-C of 515mm. Will this void warranty?
They are not being specific on a-c. The AM1 should be fine as it is single crown and 150mm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey... Thats my frame and fork. But I will not run my Reign with that fork, that was just for a fun photo. Im aiming to run a 66SL at 150mm or so on it...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts