Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here and currently in the market for a new bike, after quite a bit of looking around im pretty made up on the Reign but are wondering whether to go for the current Reign 3 (steel blue) rrp £1350 or the shop has a Reign 2 for £1499 which they are getting in for me to look at. At that price if it were the current Reign 2 (battleship gray) id have it in a heartbeat but my guess, despite what they say, is that its probably last years model. My question is, do you guys and gals think id be better off buying the current Reign 3 or last years Reign 2?, I believe its a greenish colour.

Ive ridden the current Reign 3 and like it, although I wish it had the Rp3 rear shock. Would the overall parts and package still be a better deal on the Reign 2

Would totally appreciate some thoughts:confused:

Cheers!!!!

HustleDC:cornut:

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
If its the green and purple Reign 2, then its the '05 model, and it still doesn't have an rp3. I have the '05 R2, it works amazingly well, I can't say I have an impression compared to a current Reign 3 but I'll bet they perform pretty similar. The big difference in the frame is the shock mount on the '06 is less complicated, lighter and easier to manufacture. There is supposed to be about a pound or so difference in overall weight, I think it is negligible. After that, deciede if the components are what you want or not. Both have some drawbacks, but they both are great bikes. I guess my short answer is ride them together back to back and make up your own mind about it, I don't think there is going to be a huge difference in feel, so it will probably come down to how you feel. Whichever one you pick you will be happy, they are fantastic bikes.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Unblievable that you actually had to ask - for 140 pounds more you can get a far superior bike. The colour actually is quite nice, you get the older shock mount (which no matter what has been spewed ain't no 1lb weight saving for the frame, try talking onces between '05 & '06). Really it's a no brainer unless you're really stuck against the colour, get the R2 '05.

For nit picking I checked the UK site, but they for some reason don't have Reign's shown in the '05 archive, so going from the '06 which has the same specs as the US version then more than likely you'd be getting the US version '05 - better .... crankset & BB, brakes, wheels, derailers, fork (with the '05 your getting a 145mm which is closer to what the Reign is actually designed to use)

The shock is a kind of toss up as I don't think either of those shocks are anything fantastic, but would prob prefer the Swinger 3-way over the FloatR. As for the RP3 that's a non-issue as nothing in that price bracket will come with one, maybe if you up your price bracket for a '06 R2 then you'd get the RP3, but that's like what 2,000 pounds for the '06?

MHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

I guess what I was most unsure of is whether last years Reign 2 components were still superior in quality to this years Reign 3. I know whatever bike I choose ill be happy with it as im moving up from a 6yr old £250 Raleigh bike.

LyNx: The UK Giant site seems to have last years bikes under the 2006 section and this years just to the left under Current line up. Quite confusing as the current Giant brochure is 2006. Hence no Reign under 2005. It took me a few minutes to suss.

I was originally looking to spend about £1000 but liked the Reign 3 a lot and was happy to spend the extra on it then got told about the Reign 2 for an extra £150 and thought if its worth the extra and I like it id go for it. Not sure id want to stretch all the way to the current Reign 2 priced at £1850 as its nearly double what I was initially going to spend. Being pretty new to all this im not sure if id appreciate the benefits, hence my state of confusion!!!:)

I guess as you say Clutchman, ill try them both and see if I fall for one over the other:smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
For the 150 pounds you sure will appreciate the benefits of the better components when you get addicted to riding, then if you had the Reign3 you'd want to be upgrading parts whereas with the Reign2 you'll already have the parts and for a steal at that - 150 seriously is a steal of a deal to go to the R2 parts. Good luck either way and remember that right now you might not notice the difference bwteen the 2, but in a few months you will.

The BB on the R3 is utter crap and if like me you weight over 150lbs (I actually weigh 175lbs) it will crap out in a matter of months. Also the X-Type on the R2 is far superior to the ISIS RideXC on the R3.

HUSTLEDC said:
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies, much appreciated.:thumbsup: .........

I was originally looking to spend about £1000 but liked the Reign 3 a lot and was happy to spend the extra on it then got told about the Reign 2 for an extra £150 and thought if its worth the extra and I like it id go for it. ............ Being pretty new to all this im not sure if id appreciate the benefits, hence my state of confusion!!!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks LyNx.:thumbsup:

How about (dare I say it!!) the difference between the current Reign 2 for the extra £350, how does this compare with lat years Reign 2? I particularly like the Rp3 shock and the forks seem to get a very good write up as do the wheels/tyres but is the difference between the 2 models worth the extra cash???

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'll leave this one to the guys who actually ride the Reign and longer travel forks, as the 20mm through-axle is the big difference there along with the RP3. As far as I've read the 20mm axle makes a big difference on stiffness and tracking, but have no expeience so wait till someone who does chimes in.

Remember you're already 500/50% over your budget going for the R2 '05 and will get an excellent bike for that money and don't know within say 1.5-2 years notice the stiffness of the beter fork. As for the RP3 if you're riding strictly trails it's not something really comes into play, in comparison to if you rode a lot of road or very smooth climbs.

HUSTLEDC said:
Ok, thanks LyNx.:thumbsup:

How about (dare I say it!!) the difference between the current Reign 2 for the extra £350, how does this compare with lat years Reign 2? I particularly like the Rp3 shock and the forks seem to get a very good write up as do the wheels/tyres but is the difference between the 2 models worth the extra cash???

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
yah.

For a Trance rider, Lynx is pretty accurate... :cornut:

I custom built my '05 Reign 2. And I built it with a 20mm hub. But I had that option.

I say, go for the '05 Reign 2. For that price it's an amazing deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys, thanks a lot, I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Im going to check the bikes out Friday, as I say I already liked the current Reign 3 ill see how I feel about the Reign 2 but like you say, sounds a good deal.

I plan to use the bike for XC, trails and throwing around a fair bit, hence the All Mountain choice.

Will let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks again!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey HustledC,
I managed to get a Reign2 for £1125 + delivered free, your in the UK so shop around I've seen shops selling them for £1299 at the moment so haggle! I'd personally get the an 05 Reign2........it'll probably handle more than your capable of, the spec is good - Raceface etc....the only bad thing are the tyres but thats a personal choice which can easily be changed later! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Likewise, I just had a 05/06 Trance 3 delivered last weekend, £455 off RRP at £795. Shop around as there are some good deals out there...

Neil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Clanger / Neil

Ive seen some pretty good deals on 05/06 models both on the net and mags those are just the price the shop has them marked up at currently. Must say the guy in the shop has been a fantastic help.

Would you expect to see much movement on the current Reign models or would you think I should expect to pay RRP ?

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
HUSTLEDC said:
Hi Clanger / Neil

Ive seen some pretty good deals on 05/06 models both on the net and mags those are just the price the shop has them marked up at currently. Must say the guy in the shop has been a fantastic help.

Would you expect to see much movement on the current Reign models or would you think I should expect to pay RRP ?

Cheers

I got my Trance 3 05/06 from Pedal On. For non-sale bikes, they offer 'podium points' that basically give you up to 25% of the value of the bike in free accesories. I think this is about the best deal you can get, as I've not seen much in the way of discounts on the current line up of bikes. It just depends whether you need the accessories or not...

As for mail order or not, it depends whether you feel the service the LBS has given you is worthy of hundreds of pounds of your hard earned cash. My LBS was doing the Trance 3 05/06 at £1099, Pedal On at £795. No contest really, I could only afford ~£800... plus I got to defer all but 10% for 6 months- great! Must add that the bike was superbly well packed, and arrived in pristine condition.

Neil

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OK side nte here.... I'm accustomed to MSRP=Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price, what the hell is the British version RRP stand for? I really don't seem to be able to figure it out :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I was right it was last years Reign 2 and after a bit of a ride round on it there was really no contest for me, the Reign 2 I now have:)

I got it for £1299 rather than £1499 which im perfectly happy with, I know you can always find it cheaper if you shop hard enough but saw, rode, liked, sold.:D

Thanks to everyone for there help and comments, all thats left is to give it a thorough thrashing. Picking it up in about 1/2 hour ( currently being set up ).

LyNx: RRP is used in the UK and means the same as MSRP, it stands for Recommended Retail Price.

Cheers once again, have a kickin weekend!!!

HustleDC:cornut: :D :D :cornut:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I think that'sa great price you got it for and it seems that you got it from a very helpful store who will prove v ery useful in the future. Enjoy your ride and switch out those BUlldogs to some Nevegals if you don't like how they grip.

HUSTLEDC said:
Ok so I was right it was last years Reign 2 and after a bit of a ride round on it there was really no contest for me, the Reign 2 I now have:)

I got it for £1299 rather than £1499 which im perfectly happy with, I know you can always find it cheaper if you shop hard enough but saw, rode, liked, sold.:D

Thanks to everyone for there help and comments, all thats left is to give it a thorough thrashing. Picking it up in about 1/2 hour ( currently being set up ).

Cheers once again, have a kickin weekend!!!

HustleDC:cornut: :D :D :cornut:
Well duh, colour me embarissed I could suss that one out :rolleyes:
LyNx: RRP is used in the UK and means the same as MSRP, it stands for Recommended Retail Price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts