Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Over 50, & not '2' tired
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUCCESS!!!

Today I decided to make another attempt at the monster of all climbs: Fargo Street in Los Angeles. It's 33% grade makes it one of the 3 steepest streets in the US! I had doubts since I couldn't seem to get more than about 300 of the 530 total feet. But having just turned 55 in January, I knew it was now or never for this challenge!

That last half is a killer and it's where most fail. With my friend Steve's encouragement, I set out to conquer Fargo...for the first time ever! I had come close in mid/late 2009 when I tried it last, but I lost momentum and fell off. I mounted again and finished, and although it wasn't a successful climb, I was proud of my "almost" attempt.

Today I gave it all I had, to the point where my max heart rate went *beyond* the 165bpm I had figured as my max, to a chest pounding 171! And I had already maxed out by the HALFWAY point!

I could barely breathe and my lungs were burning so bad I thought they would explode! When I heard Steve shout out, "20 feet left" (He later admitted it was really more like 40 haha) I felt a rush of adrenaline that pushed me over the top!

I made it to the top of Fargo in 3:02, and it was the greatest feeling! I had originally thought that going with a 20" wheel would be easier, lighter, and turn much easier. I made the decision to stick with my kh 24, with a lighter road tire. It paid off! If I never do it again, at least now I can say, I DID IT! :thumbsup:

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Congratulations. You didn't just make it up the hill you kicked its butt.

We rode together a little at Chesebro about a week before Fargo. I was with the OCR(orange/blue) group. I was wearing a State jersey and video taping. In fact i got some of you.

I had no doubt that you would make it. Your very impressive on that 1-wheel. Keep it up. See you on the trails

·
Over 50, & not '2' tired
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jollybeggar said:
Way to go Terry!!
Thanks!
ritopc said:
Thats was AMAZING!!! one in a life time achievement. Congrats!!!
Thanks. Yeah, at least if I never do it again, at least I did it once...which just might be enough haha!
bushido5 said:
Congratulations. You didn't just make it up the hill you kicked its butt.

We rode together a little at Chesebro about a week before Fargo. I was with the OCR(orange/blue) group. I was wearing a State jersey and video taping. In fact i got some of you.

I had no doubt that you would make it. Your very impressive on that 1-wheel. Keep it up. See you on the trails
Thanks much. I wanted to go to Chesebro today, but I now know that there's a lot of clay on the trail, and it's really bad for at least a day or two after it rains.
Blksocks said:
You didn't bring the kitty. :(
Yeah, Morty stayed home and slept through it!

·
Over 50, & not '2' tired
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
morgan-tec said:
thats awesome man, i bet i could not even make it on two wheels without walking
Thanks. I truly don't know how I managed to go all the way, since pretty much all my previous efforts failed, with a good 200+ feet to go! It may be that I had a really good night sleep the night before, and did the carbo load thing. Plus I had been training on about a 25% grade hill almost daily in the weeks leading up to it. But even during this training, I tried Fargo less than a week before I finally made it, and still failed.

I also refrained from taking my adderall that day! It's a stimulant used for ADHD, and a common side effect is that it increases your heart rate and also raises blood pressure. And then about 15 min before my climb, I ate a GU gel. Whatever it was, I hope I can duplicate it on March 6th! :)

·
Over 50, & not '2' tired
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nodaksvt said:
did you go back down at least?
haha, "At least"? That's dead EASY compared to going UP! But here's the "OFFICIAL" video from 3/6/11, showing my climb during the annual event. Included at the end IS the ride back down. I got my patch, but after a short break, I climbed it AGAIN! From what the organizers told me, I am not only the oldest, but the ONLY person to have ever climbed Fargo successfully on a unicycle! I'm proud of that. They say others have tried over the years but no one has come close. :)

Annual Fargo St. Hill Climb Challenge Even, 3/6/11​

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.