Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my <6 month old Stans Arch rim is cracking at the spoke holes. Second arch rim to do this, even with proper spoke tension, etc.

I wont be using stans rims any more and considering what rim to go with. Looking for 29er rim with ~25mm inner width as I like 2.3-2.4 tires max. I weigh 180, ride in WNC mountains.

I also have thought about buying a complete DT Swiss M1700 Spline 25 rear wheel and eventually rebuilding my current wheel (Hope Pro 4 hub) as a good backup, just not sure which rim if so.

How is the M1700 Spline rear wheel? Better to get my hope rebuilt with a better rim and save some money? Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Spank oozy 295 are a solid trail option as well as dt xm421 and ex471 if you need stronger.

I would consider spank oozy 350s as well...bomb proof and I'm running mine with 2.35 tires.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
The DT rim on the 1700 is their less expensive rim. Not sure if it's less durable than an XM421 or XR391 but you can get these for $100 and lace them to your hub.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,520 Posts
Thought the Arch was meant more as like an XC Race rim? Could be wrong as it has been a long time since I dealt with Stan's rims.

Do you consistently use a 2.35-2.4" tire in back? Are they true to size or run smaller? Reason for asking is that if you are mainly doing trail riding it may be worthwhile to jump up a little to something like an i27 or i29/30 type rim to spread that rear out a little more and get a bit more cushion.

Also, are you having multiple nipples cracking the rim? Same section? Spread out? Pulling through? Any damage to nipple? Going through the detensioning process thoroughly when building the rim?

Could just be that you are a bit too rough for an i25 rim is all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I put in a lot of miles in pisgah which is notoriously punishing on bikes/parts. No big hucks but lots of fast technical terrain.

No other rim has had these cracks like the stans do. It seems like a pretty common issue. Maybe the DT 471 is the right call for some extra durability.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Warranty the Arch and get carbon rims from them instead half off...I did! I had Stans crest MK3 wheels and it kept happening. They gave me the carbon version 50% off. The difference was huge in regards to cornering in tight single track.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,817 Posts
I built my first set of wheels recently and opted against Stans rims after reading reports about the new ones suffering from this problem (width didn't seem to matter much).

I ended up choosing DT XM 481's (I specifically wanted a ~30mm rim) and I've not been sad about that decision at all. I'm using them on a hardtail frame with a Huck Norris insert in the rear and 2.6" tires, in Pisgah. I've pounded them pretty good in the 130mi I've ridden them so far and they're doing really well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts