Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to try a different rear shock on an 05-X5. Thinking of an 06 Pushed RP3 - seems like a reasonable purchase.

My question is that Pushed asks what frame mfg., model and year when you order the shock so all mounting spacers are correct etc. What I'm not sure of...how is the large, upper spacer pushed/mounted through the top shock eyelet? It's that large aluminum shaft the mounts horizontal between the rockers and has the large bolt passing through it? Unassembled, it has a smaller diameter in the centre, so I'm not sure how one mounts the shock to it. Is it press fit with bushings? Is it threaded in the centre and you pass the two halves through the shock eyelet? Not sure, never had one apart.

Just want to know what I'm getting into before I place an order and end up destroying something in the process.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
press or slides somewhat firmly through !

Celt said:
I'm looking to try a different rear shock on an 05-X5. Thinking of an 06 Pushed RP3 - seems like a reasonable purchase.

My question is that Pushed asks what frame mfg., model and year when you order the shock so all mounting spacers are correct etc. What I'm not sure of...how is the large, upper spacer pushed/mounted through the top shock eyelet? It's that large aluminum shaft the mounts horizontal between the rockers and has the large bolt passing through it? Unassembled, it has a smaller diameter in the centre, so I'm not sure how one mounts the shock to it. Is it press fit with bushings? Is it threaded in the centre and you pass the two halves through the shock eyelet? Not sure, never had one apart.

Just want to know what I'm getting into before I place an order and end up destroying something in the process.
Hey Celt !

The Ventana upper spacer is two piece, one piece goes through the upper eyelet of the shock and the other piece acts like a cap on the other side to correctly space between the rockers ! TIG P.S. This is my 05 Foat R that was replaced with a PUSHed 06 RP3 !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TIGMAN,

Exactly what I wanted to know - thanks so much for the help. I feel kinda stupid, had I just taken the pass-thru bolt out, it would have been pretty obvious.

So what do you think of the 06 RP3? Had a chance to ride it? I will be comparing it to a Fox DHX-5 coil-over.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Love it !

Celt said:
Thanks TIGMAN,

Exactly what I wanted to know - thanks so much for the help. I feel kinda stupid, had I just taken the pass-thru bolt out, it would have been pretty obvious.

So what do you think of the 06 RP3? Had a chance to ride it? I will be comparing it to a Fox DHX-5 coil-over.
I have had the PUSHed 06 RP3 for awhile now, mounted on my 5'" travel El Saltamontes and really like it for twisty, up and down type single track trails ( xc riding) ! Why do you want to change your DHX 5 coil for a PUSHed RP3 ? I would think the DHX 5 coil would a very sweet shock plus I think PUSH can do mods on it as well ! Never tried a DHX AIR but some people really like them and some don't, kind of the same story with the RP3 ! I guess its all personal preference but my PUSHed RP3 is exactly the performance I'm looking for on my xc/trail rig ! TIG.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TIGMAN said:
I have had the PUSHed 06 RP3 for awhile now, mounted on my 5'" travel El Saltamontes and really like it for twisty, up and down type single track trails ( xc riding) ! Why do you want to change your DHX 5 coil for a PUSHed RP3 ? I would think the DHX 5 coil would a very sweet shock plus I think PUSH can do mods on it as well ! Never tried a DHX AIR but some people really like them and some don't, kind of the same story with the RP3 ! I guess its all personal preference but my PUSHed RP3 is exactly the performance I'm looking for on my xc/trail rig ! TIG.
To me, it seems a little too plush for tight XC/singletrack riding. I mean, it's a total couch for rougher trail riding, but seems lazy for the tighter, faster stuff. Plus, I think I have too light a spring for the DHX-5 and plan on correcting that before the season starts.

Rode a friends X-5 with an RP3 and it was a completely different feeling - different enough that it might be worthwhile to have them both.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Go for it!

Celt said:
To me, it seems a little too plush for tight XC/singletrack riding. I mean, it's a total couch for rougher trail riding, but seems lazy for the tighter, faster stuff. Plus, I think I have too light a spring for the DHX-5 and plan on correcting that before the season starts.

Rode a friends X-5 with an RP3 and it was a completely different feeling - different enough that it might be worthwhile to have them both.
I guess this is the same reason I like the PUSHed RP3 on my Salt compared to my previous bikes with Romics ! Abit firmer ride over all but much better pedaling performance on climbs and sprints ! Not to say I don't like coil shocks, my PUSHed Vanilla RC rear shock on my Bruja is sweet and I would be "very reluctant" to change it out for something else ! TIG.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 5/6 rockers on the X5, is it possible to use the 06 PUSHed RP3 in the 6-inch. position? Or would the stroke length (or lack thereof) not permit this?

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
You can but,,,,,,

Celt said:
I have 5/6 rockers on the X5, is it possible to use the 06 PUSHed RP3 in the 6-inch. position? Or would the stroke length (or lack thereof) not permit this?
....... you need a 2.25" stroked shock to achieve 6" travel, like my Bruja with 6" rockers ! If you use the 2" stroke RP3 in the 6" position you'll get 5.32" travel I think (something like that ) ! Also , PUSH tunes your RP3 for the travel setting you prefer to ride in ! Example: PUSH asked me if I am riding my Salt at 4" or 5" travel and tuned my shock to ride best in the 5" mode ! TIG.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For me the DHX-A blows away the RP3 for what I do. I could never get full travel out of the bike RP3. But if you are looking for the XC stuff the pushed RP3 might be what you are looking for. Also you will save a ton of weight with the RP3 vs the coil you have.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RoundRockTJ said:
For me the DHX-A blows away the RP3 for what I do. I could never get full travel out of the bike RP3. But if you are looking for the XC stuff the pushed RP3 might be what you are looking for. Also you will save a ton of weight with the RP3 vs the coil you have.
Yeah, I'm certainly not ready to give up on the DHX-5. Again. I think it has it's uses. However, I hadn't considered the DHX-A!? Similar unit with more travel and damping?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.