Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I replace the dead Fox Float rear shock on my Cannondale Rush (5 years old) with a new RP23 or go ahead and get a more modern frame, like a FSR or VPP type?

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
I say choice C. Send it to PUSH and have them rebuild/tune it.

If you get a new rear shock it's not necessarily going to be tuned for your Rush so it might actually feel worse than the stock shock. Of course buying a new frame is an option to, but a bit pricey esp. if you like your Rush and it's not that old.. Sending it to Push is the cheapest and I think the most logical route..

http://www.pushindustries.com/ for more info

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
captain spaulding said:
I say choice C. Send it to PUSH and have them rebuild/tune it.

If you get a new rear shock it's not necessarily going to be tuned for your Rush so it might actually feel worse than the stock shock. Of course buying a new frame is an option to, but a bit pricey esp. if you like your Rush and it's not that old.. Sending it to Push is the cheapest and I think the most logical route..

http://www.pushindustries.com/ for more info
It doesn't look like Push bothers with bare bones Fox Floats. The lowest level Fox on their website is Fox Float Rs.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I called Push a year or so ago and they stated they'd work on any float, including the non-adjustable. Have you looked on ebay or bikewagon for an upgraded model cheap? I have a Jamis Dakar XLT 2005 and it has a 7.875 (200mm) X 2.0 (50mm) shock and Bikewagon happened to have a Float R with Propedal for less than $140 shipped. You could move the spacers over and be done. Then again, the advice on push was excellent as well.

Is it completely shot or does it not old air? The seal kit is around $10.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm looking for something with a pedal platform so that I don't need to have such a heavily damped shock. The rear end definitely chatters over the rough stuff and under braking. I'm looking for something that will allow me to get out of the saddle and power over short steep rises without the tremendous wallowing feeling I get right now, but will be more responsive/active over roots.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The shock I mentioned above has non-adjustable propedal(platform). I believe the default propedal setting for that shock will be light though. For me, I prefer little or no propedal. I am using this to replace a Manitou Swinger, which with air can be ajusted for pedal platform. My XLT uses a 200X50 shock and has a leverage ratio of 2.5:1.
In any event, look around, there are many good deals coming as the season starts to wind down. Know the size of the shock you need and the leverage ratio...happy hunting!

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Call Push. It's likely they offer upgrades for your stock shock's internals that would improve performance.

However, if you decide to go with a new shock, you can speak with Fox and they can sell you a new RP23 or something sweet that is appropriate for that bike. The Rush didn't have any proprietary shock valving. It was just tuned from a stock Fox product. I don't think an upgrade for that bike would be a bad idea especially if you go with something ordered through a Fox dealer directly from Fox (so they know which bike it's going on when it's ordered).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts