Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Trek Fuel with a fox float rear shock with 3" of travel. I am a clyde and was wondering as I have been told that I should go with a coil over shock. Does anyone have a good recommedation(other than get a newer bike!) I love my bike as I have lots of miles on it, and this is the first thing to break.

I am 6'1 and 265.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Depends on what leverage ratio the swingarm is and what coil springs are available for whatever shock you decide to use. When I had a coil shock (Fox Vanilla) on my Super V (about 3:1 ratio), I had the heaviest spring Fox made for that shock at #1050 and it was still only stiff enough to get about 35% to 40% sag at best. I replaced it with a Manitou Swinger 4-Way Air that rode far better and I could run it at 25% to 30% sag. My weight was around 270lbs to 275lbs during that time.

On my current bike, a Giant Reign, I only have to run about 190psi to 200psi in the Manitou Swinger 3 Way Air. Strange that people of similar size report having to run higher pressures in the Fox shocks that Giant used on the Reign after 2005.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
If I recall those Trek Fuels had a pretty low leverage ratio (2:1) so you should be fine with an air shock. If you got 7 years out of the previous air shock without doing any maintenance then that is really good! In fact, what exactly broke on the shock? If its just an air seal than a simple rebuild kit and about 30 minutes will get you up and running again.

If you do replace though, DHX Coil or Air is WAY overkill for that bike, just a simple Fox Float R will do just fine with the low leverage rate.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What is the stroke of the shock? Measure that and divide the travel by stroke and you will get your leverage ratio. Also, have you thought of getting a rebuild or even having it PUSHED, custom tuned for your bike and weight. As others have said a Fox Vanilla would be a good choice, you will still need to measure your Shock Length and Stroke to know the proper size to order. Cambria Bikes usually have some older Fox Vanillas on a good deal.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
I am not experienced enough to comment fully, but I have been fine using a Fox RP23 and abusing the hell out of it, with no issues at all.

I used to weigh 240lb, but dropped a few stone. My fave terrain is high speed rock gardens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.