Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the frame in today the raw finish is totally industrial, not sure it will ever grow on me.

So now what? Polish it - lots of hard work, send it out the get a custom paint job?

Any ideas? anybody been there done that before?
Thanks,
Avisun

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Avisun said:
Got the frame in today the raw finish is totally industrial, not sure it will ever grow on me.

So now what? Polish it - lots of hard work, send it out the get a custom paint job?

Any ideas? anybody been there done that before?
Thanks,
Avisun
Why add a pound of weight for no reason?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paint adds maybe 200 grams of weight? Want painted- swap it with Spinning Lizard.

We have a large in blue or grey if interested in swapping.

I need the XL frame L would be to small.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't do anything

I had one in raw. Didn't like it much at first but after a year of thrashing in the brush/rocks it still looked new. Loved it then. Why paint and then scratch it up.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Color is over rated + paint scratches. Look at it this way, when it looks like crap from riding the hell out of it two years from now, there will be less material to strip when you send it to the powdercoater.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Pretty sure it's raw and not polished. I don't know him but that bike has been around the board for a while. I thought it showed what a raw build could look like. Yours does look a bit more tarnished and I think that's the thing with raw, they're all a bit different from frame to frame.

Stem length is preference and riding style. The shorter stem will make the bike more playful and easier to lift the front and get back behind the seat.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I will buy it from you for whatever you paid less the cost actually to prep and paint it. Shipped to MN.

That frame is hot. Build the f0cker up and ride it!

PS: If you do decide to coat it, use powdercoat and not wet paint.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Avisun said:
LncNuvue

this frame looks like it's polished not raw? or maybe the lighting/shooting angle of the photo makes it look this way?

The rear on that frame is polished. A lot of the ones coming from Competitive Cyclist are coming with polished rears and raw main frames. That being said just build it up, and beat the living daylights out of it.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Its your frame do what you want with it ! However , I'd just build it up and ride it...since to me its a great mtb frame to ride not some lame ornament to hang on the wall ! :) TIG.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts