Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am getting a used Yeti 303 Dh soon, which I want to restore completely, I have a question concerning the rails.

Is there any possibility to get the rails at a reasonable price ? Or are there other rails I could use ?

The rails are still available through Yeti and yetifan.com but they cost between 600$ and 800$ per rail here in Germany.

The original rails are made by THK, so there should be a possiblity to buy them as an industry replacement. Other THK rails are at around 200$ on ebay.

Does anyone have some tips for getting these rails or comparable alternatives ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The rails shouldn't be that expensive. The roller blocks are the more complex piece of equipment.
In Germany, these are quite standard components produced by Bosch Rexroth. I don't own the bike or know the size of the rails you want ... but here is the link Bosch Rexroth. The Drive & Control Company. - Bosch Rexroth AG
Made in Germany and should be widely available (and cheaper I suppose. the 600/800 figure is a major rip off imo). I buy these for my workshop for far less.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, many thanks.

In the meantime I found the THK rails, Yeti seems to use.

When I get the frame, I will try to contact THK and get the right rails.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rexroth I think are the market leader in these rails. You could just measure the rails using a caliper or something and order them online if they are cheaper than THK. I doubt THK produced special rails just for Yeti - it should be a standard size found on the market. You will also find other lower grade rails that would work exactly the same (may be last less time).
Honestly, the rails are a pretty passive 'device'. If you want to revamp the frame, replace the roller blocks - they should have a far greater effect on the frame performance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are the first, I found on the web, who has give really usable advices concerning the rails...thank you !

They do not produce special rails, that's what I think too.
The only thing that might be Yeti-specific is the drillings in the roller blocks, maybe.

When the frame is here, I will measure rails and roller blocks and get new ones.
Maybe I can find a shop here, where I can get them directly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Buy Linear Guides - Guide Blocks/Carriages | RS Components

There you go.
I have never seen a 303DH frame in person but as I said, I have plenty of these rails and blocks on my machines here. Points to take into consideration:
1. Rails drilling dimensions to match your frame.
2. Either a cover for the entire rail or those circular caps that 'almost' make the rail surface flush. We use those in machines because they are not prone to too much dust and dirt. I presume a DH bike will definitely need them or better off with the metal cover for the entire length of the rail (you screw the cover on both ends but this is not always a simple job if you don't have the experience)
3. Roller blocks/carriages - some have double scraping seals. This will make sure no dirt goes inside the block and maintain a very very tight seal with the rail.
4. Roller blocks/carriages - they should have lubricating holes where you attach an elbow connection to it and push in grease using a lubricating gun. You will probably need to lubricate that every ride or so if it is anything similar to what I have here.

I hope these points are relevant to the frame. I just speak from my general knowledge of these components.
Here is the manual. On page 32, you will find the specs you need to order the rail/block.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...bo2HBaHUV_QXwd_Kw&sig2=TbLLe_TRgqdtk0H0vp0Lmg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts