Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was frustrated with my growing collection of bikes taking up too much space in my basement and every time I'd go to grab the bike I wanted I had to move 3 other bikes out of the way. I looked at buying a rack but everything I found was way overpriced and many of the racks had questionable reviews. I decided that there must be a cheap and easy way to store my bikes so I could access any of them without taking up too much space or costing an arm and a leg. Below are some pictures of what I came up with.

The frame is 2x4's with 2x2 cross bracing. Everything was "glued and screwed" together with the exception of the 2 "platforms" that hold the upper bikes; these were nailed on using galvanized steel framing braces. This unit was sort of a prototype to see if this would work and if I'd be happy with the design. I may modify the rack in the future to include a shelf in the upper portion of the A's to store bike pump, chain lube, and other bike accessories. Although the upper bikes stay on the rack just fine, I added bungee cords to secure them just in case of Godzilla attack. Safety first!

It's not beautiful but for $25 it gets the job done. Your comments and questions are welcome.

Pedal on,
-HandsomeRyan

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,858 Posts
Gonna cost me a LOT more than $25- I've got to buy 3 more bikes!! :thumbsup:

Nice job, tho. The thing I like about it is that the bikes up top sit on their wheels- you don't have to worry about supporting them from a weirdly-angled top tube. :cool:

fp

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to take so ling to respond, I was in Asheville, NC this weekend.

• The bike "shelves" are 5 feet long.
• The vertical "A frames" have an 18 inch gap between them.
• The shelves are positioned about 4 feet up from where the legs touch the floor. I think 4' may be a little higher than they need to be but it works fine.
• The spacers at the tops of the A Frames are about 8" long (outside to outside at the top) and I want to say that I cut 7 degree miters on each side for a total of ≈14 degrees of angle.
• The 2x2 crosspieces in the A Frames were cut to about 17" and fit perfectly at the [current] level of the bike "shelves".
• The vertical sides of each A Frame are about 8' long. I'll try to remember to measure when I go home.
♣ Depending on your ceiling height any of these numbers may need to be adjusted to fit your space.

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
HandsomeRyan said:
Sorry to take so ling to respond, I was in Asheville, NC this weekend.

• The bike "shelves" are 5 feet long.
• The vertical "A frames" have an 18 inch gap between them.
• The shelves are positioned about 4 feet up from where the legs touch the floor. I think 4' may be a little higher than they need to be but it works fine.
• The spacers at the tops of the A Frames are about 8" long (outside to outside at the top) and I want to say that I cut 7 degree miters on each side for a total of ≈14 degrees of angle.
• The 2x2 crosspieces in the A Frames were cut to about 17" and fit perfectly at the [current] level of the bike "shelves".
• The vertical sides of each A Frame are about 8' long. I'll try to remember to measure when I go home.
♣ Depending on your ceiling height any of these numbers may need to be adjusted to fit your space.
Thanks! I'm going to see if I can modify this to fit after the first of the year. Way cheaper than the compression mount pole I was considering, and a much better design as well. I like that the bikes are sitting rather than hanging (especially with my funky top tubes) and that I could conceivably run a u lock around the A-frame and through the rear triangles as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like it!

Elegant in its simplicity. Highly functional. Free standing. You must be pretty tall to be able to wrap the bungee on the headtube. Shorter folks might want to attach two bungees at middle of the top beam and add a hook or loop on the side of the tray at each wheel. Repeat for other side. Once you put the bikes on the tray it will be easy enough to pull the bungees down and secure bike.

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BundokBiker said:
You must be pretty tall to be able to wrap the bungee on the headtube.
You are correct. I'm about 6'2" so reach is not a problem. Even for tall folks, attaching a bungee as you described would make putting bikes up/down a lot quicker and easier.

Thanks again for all the nice comments. :thumbsup:

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Nice, thanks for sharing. Good design.

Now I have a good reason to get a DH bike, a road bike and a 24 inch BMX:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.