Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of the new Racing Ralph 2.4” mounted up front and a 2.25” mounted in the rear of my SS this weekend and was able to put a little over 3 hours trying them out. I took a pic of the 2.4” next to the Rampage and it appears just as big tread-wise but I do think the volume of the Ralph makes this one of the biggest tires – at least close to the WTB Weirwolf.

My ride started on about 5 miles of pavement to the trailhead. I immediately noticed the tires made practically zero noise on the road unlike just about every other tire I’ve run. The tires are so fast on pavement, like the Nanoraptors. Once I got to the trailhead, I had two miles of climbing, one mile on gravel and the second on singletrack hardpack. Once on the gravel, the Ralph’s kicked up stones and dirt much like my Rampage’s and Resolutions did the first little bit.

These tires really shine in the hardpack/loose hardpack trails of Northern Colorado. I’ve got some pics of my ride below and as you can tell our riding is VERY fast, wide open, and rolling terrain. Hardpack with very loose debris/stones on top. I'm on a 36x20 to give you an idea. I was able to push the front tire practically as hard as the Rampage (the bike previously had a Rampage on front/Ignitor rear) yet it seemed to roll faster when the trail was not as loose. The Rampage really is in another league when it comes to super loose/steep terrain since it has the nice big knobbies but there is something about the directional pattern of the Ralph in front mode which hooked up really well. I was pushing and railing the tires in some of these turns and they just hooked up and held the line begging for more. I was running about 30psi front and 33 rear although I did let out a squirt about ½ way through my ride once I was comfy with the performance.

Conclusion: This set of Schwalbe tires is such a nice addition to the lineup we have and I see this being an ideal "fun, lightweight, high-volume" tire for singlespeeding - as well as an all out race tire if you want to use 2.25 front/rear. It feels like these tires are probably some of the fastest all arounders as they roll super fast yet the unique directional pattern of the front 2.4" really allows it to be pushed hard into loose corners yet the transition coming out and acceleration is fast. Can't wait to try them on the geared race bike tubeless!

Brett
Niner Bikes

Disclaimer/Small Print: I got these tires from the US Schwalbe rep who is local to me to test. I currently ride the Little Alberts on my race bike tubeless and am happy running Schwalbe products. The Germans make solid products and know what they are doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Think that 2.25 is as fast rolling as an SB8?

From the weights I've seen quoted on them, seems like the sidewalls might be pretty skimpy for tubeless conversion.

·
P.A.G.A.N.
114 Posts
I see you're running those on American Classic wheels. Did you notice much rolling of the tire on the narrow rims? Especially after you let some air out? I've got the same front wheel and my Bonty XR 2.25 felt squirmy at the lower pressures I wanted to run. Are you planning on running those tires on those wheels tubeless? What's your setup? Thanks...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Someone please convert a pair to tubeless. I want to hear the result. Also, has anyone measured the width of the 2.25" mounted and inflated?

·
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't notice any squirming at all at probably 25-28 psi front 30 in the rear. I'm just 155# though. These sidewalls are thicker and not paper thin so they feel substantial and I have no concerns about running them tubeless.

I'm going to give these a whirl 2.4" front / 2.4" rear tubeless on my AIR9 which has Stan's olympic rims. It's currenly got Schwalbe little Alberts on it which I am running at under 25 psi tubeless. It's pretty hard to get excited about a tire but these are fat and fast!

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
I run 2.25x26inch ralphs on stans arch with yellow tape and sealant. They hold air just fine. I've scuffed the sidewalls a bit exposing the fibres of...(what is that called?) Yet they still hold air fine. I feel they are almost to big for the arch rims though, the same tyres on DS1 xc rims seem to handle better, even though their is only a little less bead exposed.
I'm intending to run the 29er ralphs on my Sir9 but personally I wouldn't use anything less than a 30mm rim.(hopefully the salsa semi's)
2melow the knobs on the new Ralphs appear to be a taller, would you agree?

·
Registered
532 Posts
damn. I was about to order a set from my lbs (in germany) but decided that the 2.25 wouldn't fit in my 06 One9 frame. Guess I was wrong. Oh well, I hope the conti mountain kings suit me.

·
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest I never rode the 26" version of the ralphs...but Cloxxki would know if they are taller or not. They seem just perfect though.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Sweet. I might have to think about buying one or two of these next summer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Weights in the 600's? How does the 2.25 compare to the Ramp, size wise?

Looks awesome, sounds great if not almost perfect with the 2.4F/2.25R. Perfect xmas surprise for my Monkey. Me call Schwalbe, try make deal.:thumbsup:

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
where is that

Sorry to change the subject, but what trail is that? I would like to head to CO more often in the summer. Don't worry! The snow and rain will be here in 2 more days. I've used the Nobby Nics in bad weather, but I am really curious about your Ralphs. Please repost soon with an update.

·
mtbr member
249 Posts
Hey Brett. Well, you've just given a guy in Christchurch New Zealand a major case of Fort Collins nostalgia. Those trails look super sweet, clearly on my visit we barely scratched the surface of the potential out the back there. I'm already planning my visit for next year. Today was the first day so far that it really began to feel like summer over here so I think some Racing Ralph's could be in order. Thanks for the inspirational pic's. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice pics! Beautiful out there!

I run the Little Alberts with tubes on Bonty Superstocks. Very light and fast rolling tire. Tough, too.
I'd like to try them tubeless on the same rim but I don't have any experience with tubeless conversion. I'll probably wait until I have a set of Stans.
Thanks for the info and pics!
Take care.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Waiting to hear about running them tubeless

I am still waiting for someone riding them tubeless. The RR is my favorite 26 tire, which I run tubeless on my Am Classics. But one report said the RR 29er went on rims loose, which makes me nervous.

·
Registered
529 Posts
max_cat said:
I am still waiting for someone riding them tubeless. The RR is my favorite 26 tire, which I run tubeless on my Am Classics. But one report said the RR 29er went on rims loose, which makes me nervous.
+1

I'm more concerned about the tire retaining structural integrity. There were reports of 26" tubeless-converted Ralphs having rubber/liner seperation issues (ie: large bulges).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts