Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Look what I just got:

I'd seen on PUSH's website that the new Rockshox Factory Fork System (RFFS) was up and running. I made an appointment with them to drive up to their place in Loveland, CO to get my 2007 Reba U-Turn (85-115mm) done and to watch them actually do the work. Owner Darren Murphy personally worked on my fork.

A pic of the shop from the entry area.

This pic shows the ever evolving innards of the Reba's (and Revelation and Pike) right leg rebound assembly. The damping rod on the left is stock, middle one is the first generation RFFS and the one on the right is the latest generation. Darren tried to use as many stock parts as possible the first go 'round but had to make too many compromises in the finished product. Aggressive riders benefited from control at high speed from the first gen RFFS but small bump compliance for slower riders such as myself needed work. PUSH manufactures every single part this time and there are NO compromises. Small bump compliance now is stellar.

There's a lot going on at the top of the damping rod. The shim at the top, for instance, acts in a two speed fashion. On whoops (Darren calls it "porpoising"), where the riders weight is causing the fork to compress, the shim opens slowly, avoiding excessive fork dive. When braking hard into a corner this shim opens up gradually as well, keeping the fork higher in its travel.

On sharp or square edge hits, however, the shim deforms instantly to allow full fork compression if needed. When these hits are small but sharp the fork compresses easily. I know, I've been riding my fork since I got it back and the Reba just melts over small bumps. It's almost plusher than my Turner Burner's rear suspension which is sort of hard to believe but true. The new rebound piston allows for four times the fluid flow of the previous generation.

Reba, Revelation and Pike rods are shown here. They're hardcoat treated to reduce stiction on the red seal housing. Gen two is at the top, then stock under it. The rebound adjuster now has detents. The production knob will be red.

Shop dog Luna keeping a watchful eye on the front door.

PUSH technicians disassemble and clean your fork and mine came back looking like new.

Testing the new action.

Just in case you were wondering what a motion control looks like.

Shop dog Piper, worn out from watching Darren feverishly working on my fork, dreams of catching intruders.

Darrens personal ride, a 2009 Turner Spot with a 36 Talas and an MX Tuned DHX.

Darren won this prize for pulling the craziest stunts on a recent group ride in Moab.

Driving back home in the late afternoon, the Colorado Front Range in the distance.

I've ridden my redone Reba a lot in the past few days. It's not even broken in yet and so far it does exactly what Darren promised. With my customary 5/8" sag I'm getting way more travel at any setting than before and it makes small bumps disappear. In fact, it works just exactly how I want my fork to work: so effortless I don't even think about it.

When I asked Darren about the 36 and MX Tune systems he just winked and said "coming up!" When I asked about the Totem and Lyrik he just shot me his best Mona Lisa. Stay tuned.

https://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php?menu_id=42&Xtype=content&title=Rock Shox Air Forks

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Darren hooked me up with the updated Pike rebound assembly last week, and I thrashed it good this past weekend. The new one blows the doors off the old one. There is now a wide range of adjustment for the slow rebound [user adjustable on the bottom of the fork] that just wasn't there with the previous Push assembly, and the high speed rebound [the shimmed component] provides excellent control at high speeds. I tested my pike/5 spot on my favorite trails; I hit high speeds with great chassis control that I have never achieved with any other fork, on any bike that I have owned. It's good stuff!

edit: edited for clarity

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The_Lecht_Rocks said:
excellent report and pics - looks like PUSH enjoy their work.
bit too far for me to drive however, fron NE Scotland :(
Just leave early. It's about a 55 minute drive for me with lots of riding on the way back. You've just read two reports of how well the new tuning works, one from a slower rider (me) and a hammerhead (Rene).

·
Extra Crispy
526 Posts
I'd love to get the personalized treatment you did and actually see the work they're doing on my fork.

Looking through their site, it looks like I need their HV kit for my 32 Float 80RL... adding the RLC bit of kit would be great too. I need disc brakes and a new set of wheels first.

Edit: I dig the PUSH sticker they put on there too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a new sid team on my SC. I find it a bit harsh overall compared to my fox on my other bike. Did the push make it much more plush than stock?

I like the 'feedback' the reba gives me but now I find I would like it slightly smoother or plush for my current riding.

thanks,
Steve

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
I can't speak to the reba, just the pike, but I'd bet a chunk of change that they use the same style damping mechanism, which is an orifice style. Orifice's work well for low speed damping systems, but not for high speed; they just can't pass enough oil in response to a sudden/quick movement of the fork, which can come across to the rider as harshness. I experienced this first hand with the stock rockshox damper in my Pike; with the rebound adjuster set to where I thought it felt good, while still at the parking lot of the trail head, all was well untill the speeds picked up, and the fork couldn't react. The Push rebound assembly eliminates that issue, and the shim stack is tuned to your riding weight/style/preference,
Push has made/tuned quite a few suspension components for me, as they learn what it is I like in a tune, they learn to properly set-up the next product for me. Darren had recently re-shimmed my RP2, with that knowledge in hand, he shimmed my Pike rebound assembly to match the rear shock, and he nailed it first try.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smittylube said:
I have a new team reba on my SC. I find it a bit harsh overall compared to my fox on my other bike. Did the push make it much more plush than stock?

I like the 'feedback' the reba gives me but now I find I would like it slightly smoother or plush for my current riding.

thanks,
Steve
I also have a Fox 32 100 RLC that resides on the Burner part of the year. I've always liked the plushness of the first 2 inches of travel but never ever got more than 2 1/2" of travel unless I ran 2" of sag. Seriously. I hear what you're saying about the harshness of the stock Reba (but I only knew that in relation to how plush the Fox is). The new tune is plusher than the Fox and gets way more travel. I'm still breaking it in and it's only gonna get better.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bacon11 said:
I'd love to get the personalized treatment you did and actually see the work they're doing on my fork.

Looking through their site, it looks like I need their HV kit for my 32 Float 80RL... adding the RLC bit of kit would be great too. I need disc brakes and a new set of wheels first.

Edit: I dig the PUSH sticker they put on there too.
I've known Darren since he moved his shop to Loveland. I was torn between firing a ton of questions at him while he worked or just letting him work. I've mentioned to him my (and everybody elses) lack of travel on my Fox 32 100 RLC and he says his Fox HV kit solves that but my Fox fork has such a sweet 2 1/2" of travel I just accept it as it is. If it was my only 4" fork I'd have had it done in a heartbeat, but I have the Reba on this thread and two Revelations as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I suppose I could install my old rlc 100 while my team is getting dialed ?

Steve

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
adrenalnjunky said:
dangit - I had my revelation rebuilt just over a month ago. :(
Email PUSH, see what they can do for you.

Here's another shot of a cutaway right stanchion showing how the rebound assembly and motion control fit in there. As the lower leg moves up (fork compresses) then returns the upper shim and piston allow the fluid inside to flow past in both directions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Question for Darren - I assume this is why PUSH for Pikes has been temporarily unavailable in the UK. Any idea when we'll get the new kits this side of the Atlantic?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do those of us who purchased the Rock Shox Factory fork system in the past get any credit towards the new system?

Figured I'd ask. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
UK-flatlander you beat me to it!

Any ideas on UK availability? Will it still only be via TFT?

I figure this mod will give me the benefits of the new black box revelations for approx £500 less :)

1 - 20 of 135 Posts