Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I let the air out of my shock and my shock is at full compression my front derailleur hits on the chainstay. Is it true that a SRAM front derailleur will not hit? Your experiences?

Jaybo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
I had no issue with my Shimano front mech, just move the mech up a bit.
Sram has a better clearance I think,but I never had to try it ,Sorry.
Have a fiddle and see ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
F Der.

Jaybo,

I left a message on your voicemail earlier while on my way out of the office. Sorry if it sounded rude, I was in a hurry to get to one of my sons events. My apologies for the blazing speed of my message. I'd be happy to follow up with you over the phone.

Anyway, the SRAM front mech does resolve the issue because of its profile. For others that may be reading this, the only time that the front derailleur hits with the PUSH Rockers is if it hits with the stock units. It's just a kiss, but can happen. The cage profile of some Shimano models works, and some it doesn't. The easy fix is the SRAM units.

Darren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,138 Posts
Just trim the end of the derailleur cage some. You won't need to take off much metal and it won't impact shifting. What do you have to lose if you're going to replace the FD anyways?
 

·
Amphibious Technologies
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
Jaybo said:
When I let the air out of my shock and my shock is at full compression my front derailleur hits on the chainstay. Is it true that a SRAM front derailleur will not hit? Your experiences?

Jaybo
Dude just move it up a couple millimeters. No need to buy a new FD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
PUSHIND said:
the SRAM front mech does resolve the issue because of its profile. For others that may be reading this, the only time that the front derailleur hits with the PUSH Rockers is if it hits with the stock units. It's just a kiss, but can happen. The cage profile of some Shimano models works, and some it doesn't. The easy fix is the SRAM units.

Darren
I'm running a 32-tooth chainring and bash guard with a XT front derailleur lowered to accommodate the smaller chainring, will the PUSH rockers work with this setup if I switch to a SRAM front derailleur.
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
You shouldn't lower your der past where it would sit for a 44T chainring. Even when running a 32T ring and BG. It won't really help shifting but it will increase the chances of hitting the yoke near bottom-out.

I'd expect this only increase your chances of interference with longer rockers of any kind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
This problem has nothing to do with rocker selection, or even derailleur brand. You simply cannot lower your derailleur to accomodate a 2 ring system. This sucks because you end up with more chain slap on the cross bar of the derailleur cage.
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
...You simply cannot lower your derailleur to accomodate a 2 ring system. This sucks because you end up with more chain slap on the cross bar of the derailleur cage.
True dat.

Try this:


I've been using this for years w/o a problem. It won't change the clearence but it will eliminate the chainslap noise.
*Note this is a modded 7" RFX sitting at 5.5" I2I (absolute full compression) Normal der height.
 

·
Daniel the Dog
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love mountain biking but not bikes

Renegade said:
Jaybo, do you, deep down inside, hate your turner?
I really like my Turner. It always is ready to go! Love that! However, I could ride an Intense, Ellsworth, Giant, etc., and feel like a pig in crap. No biggy. All great bikes. By the way, why do you ask if I hate Turners?

Jaybo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
it hurts said:
Now im wondering if i should still get the Rockers for my 06 spot, or just have my rp23 shock pushed?Are they worth hassle?any thought.
No hassle really. As long as your derailleur isn't too low, they work fine. They definately were an improvement on my bike with the Pike. Get the package deal with the rockers and shock service. It's like having a whole new bike, but better!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,138 Posts
it hurts said:
Now im wondering if i should still get the Rockers for my 06 spot, or just have my rp23 shock pushed?Are they worth hassle?any thought.
You'll get *much* more bang for the buck if you get your RP23 Push'd. The rockers will change things as well, but not as much as Push'ing your shock.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top