Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked it up yesterday and did the Thursday night Big River Bat Patrol.
My first impressions are as follows
Wobbly, slow up hill and tentative down hill, poor handling, clumsy on obstacles and overweight, but enough about me. The bike was great. It replaces a GF Sugar which I broke; at 220 lbs I'm pretty hard on bikes. This on looks like it will be around awhile. The Lefty is all it's cracked up to be. Way stiffer then the forks I've had in the past. Riding a new bike for the first time in the dark is a challenge but the Prophet was quickly a confidence builder. I road some new trails that were cut in the last month while I was out of the country. They were the kind of trail that I struggle with, very tight twisty with New England rocks and roots. Did ok here to start but quickly realized that the lefty would go where I pointed it. Wow, I never realized how much my old fork flexed till I rode this thing. This is going to be a love affair.
Otherwise, never stopped to adjust anything, thanks Providence Bicycle. There was a little front brake rub but I didn't want to fool with this in the dark. I have to move the rear brake hose but that was about it. The stock tires worked fine, the grips were a little small for my big hands but ok. The SDG I-beam post and saddle were fine, but have a little grip here, no were to hang a saddle bag. I have always carried a tube and multi-tool in a small saddle bag, no way with the SDG saddle. I'll have to look at this a little closer, there appears to be two screw holes in the bottom, maybe I can do something with these.
Anyway I'm loving it so far

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Somebody makes a tool kit holder that fits in the head tube. Can't remember what it's called, but I saw it here on the forums. Might make a good replacement for the saddle bag.
Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
Ride_Ypsi said:
Somebody makes a tool kit holder that fits in the head tube. Can't remember what it's called, but I saw it here on the forums. Might make a good replacement for the saddle bag.
Anyone?
It would...If I carried only a toolkit in the saddle bag...Wallet, phone, keys, tube...THAT would be a hella head tube, to fit all that, eh? ;) Maybe when they make a 4" HT :eek:
Seriously though the patch kit in the HeadWrench is pretty much a patch kit in name only...Havent used it but it doesnt inspire any confidence from me....
:D

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
CdaleTony said:
It would...If I carried only a toolkit in the saddle bag...Wallet, phone, keys, tube...THAT would be a hella head tube, to fit all that, eh? ;) Maybe when they make a 4" HT :eek:
Seriously though the patch kit in the HeadWrench is pretty much a patch kit in name only...Havent used it but it doesnt inspire any confidence from me....
:D
I thought everyone knew about Camelbaks nowadays... I couldn't ride without one now. You can carry 3 litres of water, tools, tubes, food, cameras, maps, wallet, keys, phone, and more!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan Gerous said:
I thought everyone knew about Camelbaks nowadays... I couldn't ride without one now. You can carry 3 litres of water, tools, tubes, food, cameras, maps, wallet, keys, phone, and more!
Got one, a mule
Filled with first aid kit, emergency blanket, stuff I rarely use but want with me plus light battery,
The saddle pack has a tube, tire tool, and multitool. Stuff I want to get to quick.

·
Registered
540 Posts
are you racing?

hugh088 said:
Got one, a mule
Filled with first aid kit, emergency blanket, stuff I rarely use but want with me plus light battery,
The saddle pack has a tube, tire tool, and multitool. Stuff I want to get to quick.
nice bike & cool dog! I wish i could trust my dog enough to go out with me. But being a Rat Russel Terrier i think ill just keep him home!

Keep everything in your Camelbak.....less weight on the bike!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.