1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Looks like a nice frame, with a cheap rigid fork you can probably build it for $500. On the other hand, I have a 20 year old Rockhopper that I commute on and it works great, you can probably pick one up on ebay for a hundred bucks. And I can leave it locked outside with a cheap lock and no one tries to steal it.

I personally think it's a waste to invest much money in a commuter, unless you're covering a lot of miles and you have a secure place to store it. I live in a college town, so bike theft is a big issue for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rufudufus said:
Looks like a nice frame, with a cheap rigid fork you can probably build it for $500. On the other hand, I have a 20 year old Rockhopper that I commute on and it works great, you can probably pick one up on ebay for a hundred bucks. And I can leave it locked outside with a cheap lock and no one tries to steal it.

I personally think it's a waste to invest much money in a commuter, unless you're covering a lot of miles and you have a secure place to store it. I live in a college town, so bike theft is a big issue for me.
it really isn't so much a commuter bike as much as it is a project bike...if that makes any sense.. my initial idea was to have a rigid "road bike" that was strong enough to be able to take some abuse, such as hopping up and down curbs...nothing big. what exactly is so fragile on a regular road bike anyways? thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you want to do it cheap, go to salvation army or some kind of thrift store, find a bike for 20 bucks and junk whatever needs junking. any commuter that costs more than $200 in the end is too much (and even then that's pretty high).

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
My father in law is a bit of a mechanic and he has built a couple of bikes and scooters out of stuff found in waste disposal.

That's what I call a project...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.